Author Topic: Belfast Ulster Scots Festival  (Read 1182 times)

RabRow

Belfast Ulster Scots Festival
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
The festival will run from 25 - 29 April 2007. It will be held in various locations thougout Belfast and surrounding areas. From Malone House,Malone Road to the Spectrum Centre Shankill Road. From Belfast International Airport to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

Christopher

Re: Belfast Ulster Scots Festival
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »
Hiya RabRow, I clicked on the picture and got a strange site which puzzled me.

What's the connection between that site and the Festival ???

Where's the programme of events ???  I've found that there's a varied mixture of music, dance, drama, historical talks and exhibitions but am having problems finding where and when each event is taking place. 

RabRow

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:56:04 PM »
Hi Christopher. Aye, that takes you to Image Shack when you click on the poster. Its a site for posting images on to the web.

Thats true what you say re the events. I have info on some of the things you mention. But not all of the dates. However,there is a phone number.

I'll be back. Give me a few minutes.

RabRow

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 08:32:08 PM »
Hi Christopher. There is a website. But it doesn't seem to be operational yet,here it is anyway. It may be up later.

www.belfastulsterscotsfestival.org

Phone number [028] 90 746939

Here is a list of events. But not all the dates I'm afraid :-\

Festival launch....11:00 Tuesday April 24th Botanic Gardens, Stranmillis Road entrance. Entertainment by Fiddlesticks Orchestra. [Thats at the Kelvin statue]. In the event of rain,the launch will take place at the bandstand.

25th - 29th April 2007.

Robert Burns Live! 7-30-9-00pm Malone House, Barnett Demense, Shaws Bridge, Belfast. [Montgomery Room] A series of dramatic monologues by Chris Tate on the life and works of Scotland's national bard,Rabbie Burns.

Drama,Prose&Poetry 8-00pm Clifton House,North Queen Street,Belfast. Yairns,rhymes an poems fre tha Twa Wulls,the twa Cherlies,an a wheen o ithers. Also 'Tha Coortin o Miss Norris' by the Bellyboley Players! Light refreshments will be served.

Made In Belfast. Lecture by Trevor Parkhill 8-00 Ulster Folk&Transport Museum Cultra [Evans Room]. An illustrated lecture focusing on the Ulster-Scots influence in the linen industry,ship building and manfacturing industries.

Heelan Daunce&Conte'r Spra''ngin Shaw 7-00 Belfast International Airport. Highland and Scottish Country dance demonstrations from the Ulster-Scots Dance Alliance and the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.

Forestside Shopping Centre,Saintfield Road, Belfast. Try some griddle scones or oat and honey pancakes with double cream laced with Drambuie&strawberries! Discover how to make clapshot,country fried salmon or honey&whisky sausages!

The Plantation of Ulster Lecture by Gordon Lucy 7-30 - 9-00pm Malone House Barnett House, Barnett Demense, Shaw's Bridge, Belfast [Montgomery Room]. The early 17th century Plantation of Ulster has proven to be one of the most politically signifcant mass migrations to have taken place in western Europe since medieval times,but it should also be viewed as part of a well established pattern.

Genology workshop in conjuction with Shankill library and the Ulster Historical Foundation. IT facilities will be available in the library to assist you in tracing your own family tree.

Jewellery Design&Creation Workshop Workshop 1 11-00am Ulster Folk & Transport Museum Cultra [Evans Room]. The first in a seris of three workshops offering the chance to design & make your own jewellery. Cost 5.00 per workshop.

Generation Day Ulste-Scots Culture for young and old 1-45 - 2-45 Corkey Residental Home. Forthriver Cres, Belfast. A celebration of generations with Harmony Primary School Choir. With special guests Nae Goat's Toe and Springhill Primary Scottish Country Dancers.

Three United Irishmen Lecture by Gordon Lucy 7-30pm Ulster Folk&Transport Museum Cultra [Evans Room] Samuel Neilson,Henry Joy McCracken Thomas Ledlie Birch.

Family Fun Day Woodvale Park, Belfast Stage,Marquee and Bandstand areas 1-00 - 6-00. Entertainment for all the family including:

Music from the Ulster-Scots Fowk Orchestra

Highland & Scottish Country Dance demonstrations

Line Dancing

Mini Proms in the Park - Pipe Bands,Fifing & Drumming.

Circus Entertainers for the Weans!

Displays & Stands by the Festival Organising Committee.....and much much more...

Exhibitions

Lord Kelvin....23 April - 32 May. Science Library of the Queen's University of Belfast, Chlorine Gardens [during opening hours tel [028] 90 975441]

The Ulster-Scots Story 23 - 29 April. Forestside Shopping Centre,Saintfield Road,Belfast [during opening hours]

Yer Ain Fowk. Workshop with William Roulston 11.am Shankill Library.

Our Daily Bread. Cookery Demonstartion by Andrew Mattison, with suggested cocktails.

Wednesday 25 April 2007. Ulster-Scots School Play. Drama. 11:am The Spectrum Centre Shankill Road. NB - For local primary schools [invitation only] not open to the general public. Professionally acclaimed play by Jonathan Burgess,Blue Eagle Productions. The production will introduce children to many well known characters from the past,who will bring an historical accuracy to the Ulster-Scots story that is both educational and entertaining.

Thursday 26 April 2007 Jewellery Design&Creation Workshop 2 11:am Ulster Folk&Transport Museum Cultra [Evans Room]. The second in a series of three workshops offering the chance to design your own jewellery. Cost 5.00 per workshop

Friday 27 April 2007....Workshop 3. Same time and details as above.

Saturday 28 April 2007. Clifton Street Graveyard Tour. 12 noon Clifton Street Graveyard. Guided tour of the graveyard with Cllr Nelson McCausland, MLA. Meet at the entrance for a danner roon the resting places of many notable Belfast characters. [Comfortable walking shoes&rainwear please!]

Sunday 29 April 2007. Church Service 3.00pm Townsend Street Presbyterian Church, Belfast. Our now traditional Church Service in conjunction with Townsend St Presbyterian Church and the Ulster Scots Language Society. With guest choir, hymns&psalms,readings in Ulster Scots& sermon in English.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »
Thanks for so much information RabRow.

RabRow

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »
Ach no bother Christopher...or should I say nae baither :)

ulsterstan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
Great info. Rab    i have a couple of their sites also a couple of books   by  Billy Kennedy and the  Ulster Scots .
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
Great info. Rab    i have a couple of their sites also a couple of books   by  Billy Kennedy and the  Ulster Scots .

Hae ony Forum folk bin tae wan o' these events ???

RabRow

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
Not yet Christopher. A couple of other things cropped up. Maybe next week.

Aye Ulster Stan I've read a few of Kennedy's books. There right and good.

But I would recommend the following. 'Born Fighting' by James Webb, 'Ulster Sails West' by Rev Marshall and the 'Bible' of the Ulster-Scots story 'God's Frontiersmen'. Its a really great book with plenty of photos. Its a magazine size book and tells the whole Ulster-Scots story,not just their influence in America,but Canada ,Australia and New Zealand.

If you would like to have a read at 'Ulster Sails West' I could PM or E-mail it  to you. Cheers.

ulsterstan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
Thanks Rab     there's a Brit. shop here sometimes carries the history books off  Ulster    i'll check it out first.   
Stan Sloan.