Author Topic: purely out of interest  (Read 5636 times)

Giannineo

purely out of interest
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
Ni, no fighting, but purely put of interest.Is it THE ARDOYNE OR ARDOYNE?Leave aside the Pound Loney, The Ormeau, the Shankill. See Arder Lavery's post on Strathroy Park, Ardoyne. Arder explains that it was Ardoyne until the troubled and the Brits arrival and it then  became THE ARDOYNE.So may we have a friendly debate on this.On reflection, I remember a girl at work in 1968 who said she came form Ardoyne.A friend was married to a girl who would say she came from Ardoyne.This was around 1969.
        Maybe it was known as ARDOYNE pre troubles as Arder says, and then became  media-ised into The Ardoyne.   By comparison....I was brought up on Ormeau Road.When the more nationalist population started living on the Ormeau Road around Cooke Street ,Lavinia Street , Hatfield Dromara area, that part  became known as the LOWER Ormeau Road...a new term synonymous with the repopulation and then troubles . A bit like the Cathedral quarter etc...new names arising.
           Was Ballymurphy called Ballymurphy when it was built and then shortened to "The MURPH"  as time went on? etc. etc.     just the way council or Housing Executive , public housing became known as social housing.
          in the namea..this is vital stuff ::)    Is Wheatfield in Ardoyne as I have chosen to call it ? Let civilised debate begin..hurrah, three cheers etc.

Skully

Re: purely out of interest
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
When I was about 12 I went with a wee doll from Ardoyne....no mention of The Ardoyne when asked where she lived, simply Ardoyne.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

Giannineo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
aye Skully, I always knew is as ARDOYNE

Skully

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
I wonder if it may have come about as a progression Giannineo ie., when people were/are asked where their street was/is they say "up the Woodstock" or "up the Creagh" etc so, perhaps, "up the Ardoyne" was interpreted by the soldiers as "up The Ardoyne" and became that way to everyone.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
I got caught in some cross fire in the early 70's in Ardoyne but I've never heard of "The Ardoyne" :scratch_ones_head:

teragram

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
Aye, I remember someone throwing a stone in The Short Strand and it hit me in The Ballymacarrett. It's painful when you get hit in the ballymacarretts ::)
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Skully

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
Aye, I remember someone throwing a stone in The Short Strand and it hit me in The Ballymacarrett. It's painful when you get hit in the ballymacarretts ::)

Heh.   Would have put a bit of a dampner on your love life if you had got hit there too often.

teragram

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
Enough of that Skully, this is a serious thread you know :swoon:

Belle Fast

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
The Ardoyne is a term coined by the British press.  :smile:

sydenhambetty

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
I,ve only heard of it referred to as Ardoyne. :smile:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

bobdenn

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
I must admit that last night's thread was the first time that I had heard of THE Ardoyne.  But then it may have been put like that to try and start a disagreement and get the thread locked. :swoon:

I vote Ardoyne.

:smile:

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
Bob, you also have "Ballyhackamore" or "The Hack".

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Skully

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »
Enough of that Skully, this is a serious thread you know :swoon:

Last time I sympathise with you when you start talking balls  :(

twocoats

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
I must admit that last night's thread was the first time that I had heard of THE Ardoyne.  But then it may have been put like that to try and start a disagreement and get the thread locked. :swoon:

I vote Ardoyne.

:smile:

Boy did it ever disappear fast.  :D
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

teragram

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

Last time I sympathise with you when you start talking balls  :(

:D