Author Topic: Traditional Music in Belfast and Ulster  (Read 1754 times)

Christopher

Traditional Music in Belfast and Ulster
« on: June 17, 2006, 08:17:07 AM »
The Francis McPeake International Summer School  is an annual event in Belfast. Last year it took place on 24th to 29th July for all musicians interested in learning more about Irish Traditional music. The course also included Jazz and Ulster Scots music. This message is dated July 2006 but I've made amendments as the thjread was broken.

Christopher

Re: Traditional Music in Belfast and Ulster
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
Another thing, over here in canada we have advertisements frequently lately for Ireland.  They include northern ireland in that also.
One big thing that appeals to many canadians is the portrayl of this advertisements with the real traditional irish music in the pub settings.
It is a huge appeal.  Yet when you go over, you wouldnt have a clue where to go to experience it.  I would love it also but I wouldnt have a clue either. 

kat

Hi Kat,

Watch this space 8)

I'll keep members and visitors to the Forum posted with details of Folk and Traditional Music as I enjoy listening to it myself. Do you just want details of Irish Traditional Music or should Pipe Band contests be included on this thread? They could have a separate thread if you prefer 8)

Chris 

kat61

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:05:55 PM »
thanks christopher,
all types would be great!  I used to follow the pipe band competitions years ago with a good friend over there.

kat

MAgeeka

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:29:38 AM »
Chris have you heard of a group in Belfast called "The Peake connection ?

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »
Ulster Scots Concert

Ballynahinch Leisure Centre

Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7.45pm

The Hollymount Rural Community Association have organised this night of Ulster Scots music which will be hosted by Joe Graham. Further information is available from Marion - Phone: 07808156340 I have just received further information from Marion. The tickets for this event cost 10. That includes a light supper. If you would like a ticket they are available at the Ballynahinch Leisure Centre.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 03:42:19 AM »
thanks christopher,
all types would be great!  I used to follow the pipe band competitions years ago with a good friend over there.

kat

Hiya Kat, here's a link to Causeway Music. I haven't looked at everything on the site but if you like music on the mandolin have a look at An Maindilin where there are a number of free MP3's of superb Irish and Scottish music, played on this instrument. I've been having a look around and assure you that you could spend some time on the site listening to all the musical items and watching all the videos that the site has to offer.

kat1

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:50:59 AM »
Thanks Christopher,
will check this site out, looks interesting.

kat

giannineo

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
Kat, I will sing Carrickfergus to you when we meet and you will melt(with embarrassment). ;D

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »
Here are links to a couple more sites where the musicians are using traditional instruments ... pipes and drums appear on videos on the Queen's University Ulster-Scots Society website. I hope some of you enjoy the video on that site of a Scottish group called Beggar's Row. Believe it or not, this group now has Russian web sites as well as chat forums, all organised by their many Russian fans and friends. You can hear four numbers by Beggar's Row on MySpaceMusic.

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
Places where you'll find Trad Sessions in Co. Down include Bangor, Castlewellan, Downpatrick, Killyleagh, Leitrim, Lisbarnett (near Comber), Maghera (near Castlewellan), Strangford and  the Saltwater Brig (near Portaferry)   
If you're a musician or a singer you'll be more than welcome at all of these sessions and you'll find some of the best music in the country at these locations. By the way there's no cover charge to most of these events.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »
There should be some traditional sessions again at Pat's Bar in Princes Dock Street now that it has reopened.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:44:17 AM »
Sailor Town Traditional Session

Dates: Tuesday nights

Venue: Pat's Bar, Dock Street, Belfast

Lunches are served in Pat's Bar ... Monday to Friday ... Noon to 3.00pm

inmylife

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 04:05:23 AM »
Appreciate this thread as I'm trying to persuade himself to come to Belfast with me but he'll go nowhere if there's not a chance of a  session.He's from Dublin ,and I keep saying Belfast must have brilliant sessions.I used to go (about 100 years ago) ,to Grace Neals , to balloo,and loads of other places but but I can't even remember where they were now!We'll probably only have Sat and Sun ,then back to Spain on Monday morning.If anyone knows any REGULAR sessions in the city centre ,as we wouldn't have transport and I imagine we'd be looking for a central hotel to stay in.thanks Joan

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 04:58:37 AM »
Hiya Joan,

I'm still on the go. I've been posting messages on another site and spotted your message arriving.
When will you be over ??? Does himself play a guitar or sing ??? I recommend the Rotterdam Bar in Pilot Street. It's walking distance from the city centre but a cab would be better.  There was one post from a member who appears not to think much of the Rotterdam but it's well supported by musicians. There's usually a Sunday afternoon session and then an evening session till late which is an open session organised by singer / songwriter Ludwig O'Neill. If I know when you'll be over I'll let you know what's happening on the Saturday. Kelly's Cellars have a Saturday session.

When you say Balloo ... do you mean Johnny McConnell's at Killinchy where everyone gathered in the kitchen and Johnny, in his wheelchair, kept everyone in order?

Christopher