Author Topic: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?  (Read 15955 times)

geraldine williamson

Josef Locke..anybody remember him?
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
 :smile:   Does anybody remember this guy? 

When my sis and I first came to Coventry in the mid-fifties, we encouraged some of our chums in Belfast to take the plunge too, which they eventually did.  One girllfriend, no name mentioned, a lovely 19 year old was very popular and got a sec job with Coventry Glass.  We all lived at the hostel just outside the town and had a great time.  Anyway, this friend of ours got a bit bored and heard about the work in Dublin, better pay etc, so she decided to go on there.  Allegedly, she met up with Josef Locke and before long, there was a picture of her in the then Daily Express/Mail walking out of court, having won a case against him.  There was a child involved.  Has anybody ever heard anything.?

My mother sent us the cutting out of the paper and I kept it for years but when I got married, things had a way of getting lost!  We never heard from our girlfriend again (her family lived in a posh house on the Antrim Rd) and I often wondered what happened to the child (boy/girl).  I know our friend's mother had 3 daughters and they were all very glamourous young women without much makeup or anything, it was all natural.  The mother as a very attractive woman.   

Shazza

Re: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
Don't know anything about that Geraldine, but I love Joseph Locke. I think there was a film made based loosely on his life.

My dad had a lot of his records.  I bought his 'greatest hits' on CD a few years back.  I love all his songs: I'll Take you home Kathleen, Hear my Song, and my favourite 'Goodbye from the Whitehorse Inn'.  Brings back great memories of my dad singing 'Goodbye' - almost better than Joseph Locke!  :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwbphnxfRBc&feature=related

Shazza

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

down the road

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
My late mum was fan of Josef Locke and I went with her years ago to see him at the Arts Theatre. He was amazing live. He appeared with Leila Webster.

barry

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Ah, Joseph  Locke, The  ex  peeler ( cop ) , There  was  a  film  made  a  number  of  yrs ago, Ned  Beatty  played  Joseph, I  remember in the  movie  there  was  alot about  tax  evasion , He  done  a  runner, Sorry  that's all  i  can  remember.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

McNamee

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
Seem to recall something about his wife falling(????????) down the stairs. ;)

down the road

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
There is a memorial to him in the grounds of the City Hotel in Derry. Not the nicest of memorials to be honest.

Sally Ann

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
A well known - lady shall we say, who came from Millford St (in respect of her family, I'll not give her name out, but those from the area will know who I am speaking about)  Anyway, this lady was not short of a bob, she in fact, paid for Joe McLoughlan AKA Joe Lock voice training and to have him clad out in his gear.

I know that one time, long before I was even thought of, but his wife & her Mum, came to visit my Aunt, having been told that she - my Aunt, was a friend to this Lady, and the wife wanted to know if the Lady was doing a line with the bauld Joe.  So seems he was always a lady's man - BTW my Aunt told her, if he was, he was only one of many!  ;)

He had the Lady to thank for his success, yet, couldn't even attend her funeral many years later!
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Seaviewite

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
Loved that movie about Joseph Locke that has been mentioned. It was called "Hear My Song".
He had a brother who made a few recordings in Australia back in the 70's. Haven't heard of him [the brother] in years.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Joe 90

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »

When my sis and I first came to Coventry in the mid-fifties, we encouraged some of our chums in Belfast to take the plunge too, which they eventually did.  One girllfriend, no name mentioned, a lovely 19 year old was very popular and got a sec job with Coventry Glass.  We all lived at the hostel just outside the town and had a great time.  Anyway, this friend of ours got a bit bored and heard about the work in Dublin, better pay etc, so she decided to go on there.  Allegedly, she met up with Josef Locke and before long, there was a picture of her in the then Daily Express/Mail walking out of court, having won a case against him.  There was a child involved.  Has anybody ever heard anything.?

My mother sent us the cutting out of the paper and I kept it for years but when I got married, things had a way of getting lost!  We never heard from our girlfriend again (her family lived in a posh house on the Antrim Rd) and I often wondered what happened to the child (boy/girl).  I know our friend's mother had 3 daughters and they were all very glamourous young women without much makeup or anything, it was all natural.  The mother as a very attractive woman.

Hi Geraldine
I am reluctant to mention names here, but I lived on the Antrim Road (Newington area) in the same street as Josef Locke's children - it wasn't posh, rather an average street of terraced houses.
When I first moved to that street in 1958 (when I was 11), the house was owned by the parents of the lady in question. She did not live there at the time, but I understand that she was going through a fairly stormy relationship with Josef Locke. Eventually, the parents died, I believe (mid/late sixties), leaving one son in the house, who would have been in his late teens then. At that point, the lady moved back to the family home, with as far as I remember, 2 children, a boy and a girl. They were nice children. They were still living there when I moved away in the early seventies.

Joe 90

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »

PS - Forgot to mention: At least once, Josef Locke came to our street to visit his children. I didn't see him, but my mother did.

glenb

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
My Da hated him for some reason....He was in the Irish Guards, Palestinian Police force, and the RUC...Was hiding from the tax man for alot of years...There was a good film made as mentioned with Ned Beatty doing a great acting performance and Adrian Dunbar the promoter, the plot was fantasy though
was born in Derry and his real name was Joseph Mclouglin or something like that

c.rita

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
remember hearing about him, bought the video "Hear my song" a while back. the songs were great, the plot was very loosely written about him. My husband laughed 'til tears ran down his face, some parts were hilarious...

Alaun

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:04 AM »
His nephew Brendon also had a good voice. He used to sing in the clubs down here in Australia, and was always ready for a yarn about his uncle

DOFFER

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
loved josef  he had a grand old voice like many other mentiond we had old records of him singing   saw him one time when i lived in london walking down  hampstead high st  pointed him out to my hubby who had neverheard of him i wasraging how couldhe not know of our josef lol 

sure i read hewas abit of a lad but i paid no mind  i can still hear him belting out goodbye goodbye  stirring stuff imo  :smile:      what about arther  tracy anyone heard of him another old time chanter ,

YouTube - Arthur Tracy "The Street Singer" - Marta (1931)
Music by Moises Simons, English lyrics by L. Wolfe Gilbert.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-oQ3n1Sg8 - 99k - Similar pages
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'