Author Topic: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?  (Read 15834 times)

tboy

Re: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
in 1981 joseph locke bought or took on a pub in burnfoot in donegal. he called it 'the mountainy farmer' it didn't last long , everyone got 'knocked'. in 1940 he was part of the squad sent out to bring back the 'strays' to victoria barracks after dunkirk, he shared a bottle of mundies wine and sang for my old da, a fellow derry man. :smile:

Alaun

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Thanks for that youtube clip Doffer. I though it was great. I had an uncle who used to sing all those songs, they brought back lovely memories.

kevben

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
my mum n dad had a josef locke album,and their favourite song was "we,ll build a bonfire of our troubles"

doare.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 05:40:22 AM »
joseph locke, "ill join the legion" my da said he was a bawler, ha ha ha, i enjoyed him myself.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:45:48 AM »
shazza, thx for the link, and doffer, havent heard this guy for a long time. remember him singing "the last roundup"?
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

geraldine williamson

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
Hi there Doffer, My oh my, what lovely tunes on this web.  Marta was my sister's RIP favourite.  She was a battered wife for years and we, the family, never suspected..she worked up until she died one Saturday night after meeting up with some of her cockney friends.  Worked for a Tool company and was liked and respected by all her colleagues there.  She was a lovely girl and so intelligent, got all her exams with credit in half the time at Oranges Academy in Belfast.  God love her, she never had a chace.  Such is life, she should have left him years ago.  GW.

glenb

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
Talking to my old Aunt yesterday, don't know why, but like my Father she said he was a
rotten basta//rd/  Something must have happened a long time ago...She wont even listen to him...said he's a rotten singer and was always a shyster...whew

Sally Ann

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
BTW for anyone who is interested or can get Flim4 or is it ITV3 (?), anyways, the film about Jo Locke, "Hear my Song" is on next Tuesday night at 9 pm.

At least the film is a good laugh even thought it is a bit far fetched!  I always remember the line in it: "Stick with me love, and I'll have you farting through silk!"
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

geraldine williamson

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
Yes SallyAnn, that film JosefLocke is on Tuesday Film 4 at 11.15pm, looking forward to it as I never seen it before.  Thanks for reminder.  GW

Bread Basket

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
The story as I know goes something like this. .A singing competion in St Mary's Hall. .I presume early 40's. .Joseph Locke 1st. .my Da 2nd. .end of story.  :swoon:

Shazza

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
Ach! your Da's just a bad loser!  :D

tboy

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »
Ach! your Da's just a bad loser!  :D
too right mate, this is turning out to be a bash josef locke thread :smile: i'll join the legion thats what i'll dooo

Bread Basket

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
too right mate, this is turning out to be a bash josef locke thread :smile: i'll join the legion thats what i'll dooo

:swoon: :swoon: ...tboy is joining up with the legion of Mary :scratch_ones_head: ?? .me ma always said some don't know if they are a Martha or an Arthur

sj

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
About 1980 I walked into my mother's home and was introduced to Joe Locke's x-wife who had more than one child..( I might be wrong).  She was a nice woman called Roberta.I met her many times after that and she never really spoke about him to me but she had a great sensr of humour.  She lived near Bellevue just off the Antrim Rd. :scratch_ones_head:
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

geraldine williamson

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
Hi there Sj, You have made my day, as they say!  I remember Roberta Agnew (maiden name) very well.  We all stayed in the hostel when we first came to Coventry,6 of us.  Great fun.  Worked hard though and always in bed  by 11pm...Roberta and my sister Pat were very good friends, both complemented each other with good looks.  Roberta got bored and moved to Dublin around 1955/6 where she would have met the bould Josef L. 

Small world ain't it?

Where  do you live now, and do you ever see her?  Would love to get in touch if she is still around. d.v.  GW