Author Topic: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?  (Read 15833 times)

tboy

Re: Josef Locke..anybody remember him?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
bread basket, i'll get you in some far distant region :D

sj

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »
Hi there Sj, You have made my day, as they say!  I remember Roberta Agnew (maiden name) very well.  We all stayed in the hostel when we first came to Coventry,6 of us.  Great fun.  Worked hard though and always in bed  by 11pm...Roberta and my sister Pat were very good friends, both complemented each other with good looks.  Roberta got bored and moved to Dublin around 1955/6 where she would have met the bould Josef L. 

Small world ain't it?

Where  do you live now, and do you ever see her?  Would love to get in touch if she is still around. d.v.  GW

Hello Geraldine,

It is a small world indeed and that is the beauty of this forum...we don't know whom we are talking to sometimes.  My mother died a number of years ago and just before she died Roberta passed away but I will ask a sister who lives in Glengormley if she had any relations near by and maybe you can write to them.  She knew Roberta much better than I did. I am living in Australia now just North of Cairns which is in the N.E. of Queensland.  Are you still in Coventry?  Good to meet you. :smile:
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

geraldine williamson

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
Hi there Sj, so sorry to hear about Roberta RIP, she was a lovely intelligent girl when  we knew her, seems she met her fate in Dublin.  Her  mum was a lovely looking woman also her two sisters. She was a healthy lass and had a figure to die for.

Where does your sister live now?  Did she know of the Donnelly's (Josie) of Willowbank Gdns at all, she was also a friend of Roberta's?  I'm not being nosey or anything but would love to know how and where Roberta died.

GW

Bread Basket

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »
bread basket, i'll get you in some far distant region :D
tboy. .please "come back to sorrento"...if not. ..."Goodbye".      ;) ;)

sj

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi there Sj, You have made my day, as they say!  I remember Roberta Agnew (maiden name) very well.  We all stayed in the hostel when we first came to Coventry,6 of us.  Great fun.  Worked hard though and always in bed  by 11pm...Roberta and my sister Pat were very good friends, both complemented each other with good looks.  Roberta got bored and moved to Dublin around 1955/6 where she would have met the bould Josef L. 

Small world ain't it?

Where  do you live now, and do you ever see her?  Would love to get in touch if she is still around. d.v.  GW

Geraldine,,,,,Was Roberta Joe's first wife.  I have written to my sister who now lives outside Belfast and asked her to answer the questions that you asked.   I remember someone in my family saying that Joe walked the police beat around the Duncairn gds / Antrim Rd area .  Hopefully you have been able to see the film of his life story because I think that Roberta is a character in the film.  I will let you know what my sister says but the forum has worked again and brought people and memories together.  ;)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
Hi there Sj, No don't think she was his first wife, maybe I'm wrong.  She would have met him around 1957/8 cause that is when I saw her photo in the newspaper holding a baby coming out of a court in Dublin and the caption said words to the effect that she had won "maintenance" or something, in other words she had won the case.  It was a black and white photo in either The Mail/Express.  Thanks for all your trouble Sj.  Look forward to hearing any more news etc.  GW.

Mr Bojangles

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Roberta's early demise is a bit premature as she is alive and well living in Glengormley.

Let's hope she hasn't read this forum as the shock may finish her off!

Roberta came from a family of 8,from Ponsonby Avenue just off the Antrim Road.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
hi there Mr Bojangles, What a mistake to make...I got the info from a guy living in Australia, named on the BF as Sj.

I understood Sj had relatives living in Glengormley and he said he would get me some more info. 

Roberta was a good friend of ours when we all lived in the Hostel in Coventry.  I worked at the Humber Car factory as a secretary and my sister at Rolls Royce at Ansty.  Roberta worked for I think a firm (long gone now) called Coventry Glass.  We had some good fun, good clean fun.  She was a very pupular young lady in those days.  Was glad to hear that she is among the living, are you in contact with her at all?  Woud love to know how she is doing.  GW

tboy

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
hi there Mr Bojangles, What a mistake to make...I got the info from a guy living in Australia, named on the BF as Sj.

I understood Sj had relatives living in Glengormley and he said he would get me some more info. 

Roberta was a good friend of ours when we all lived in the Hostel in Coventry.  I worked at the Humber Car factory as a secretary and my sister at Rolls Royce at Ansty.  Roberta worked for I think a firm (long gone now) called Coventry Glass.  We had some good fun, good clean fun.  She was a very pupular young lady in those days.  Was glad to hear that she is among the living, are you in contact with her at all?  Woud love to know how she is doing.  GW
did you know that coventry glass owned cambell bros. on the springfield road?  well now you do :smile:

Mr Bojangles

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
Hi Geraldine,

Easy mistake to make!

Roberta now happily remarried to an ex chief engineer (Navy) and living in Glengormley.

3 kids all grown up with loads of grandcildren.

JL died in 1999 in Clane,Co Kildare aged 83.

Fabulous tenor with an amazing character who loved life.

sj

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »
Geraldine ...sorry about the incorrect information. .She used to live in Floral Gardens at the top of the Whitewell Rd .  I haven't heard from my sister yet maybe Bojangles could send you her address .  He could do it by sending a P.M. to you. :swoon:

sj

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »
Geraldine. .In your post at the beginning of the thread you said that Roberta lived in a posh house however Bojangles says that she lived in Ponsonby Ave, .are we talking about the same person.    ;) It appears so because he even knows the number that she lived in. .Bojangles do you live in Belfast or Canada. :D by any chance?? ::)

Mr Bojangles

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »
Neither,South Coast England.

Didn,t say what number she lived in ,the 8 was her family!

From a very nice family,The Agnews....Pat,Peter,Phil,Rita,Gaye,Audrey and Shirley(sadly now not here).

Apparantly Roberta and JL had a very volatile relationship as he wanted a door mat and she was having none of that.

sj

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
Thanks Bojangles...welcome to the forum.

You knew the family well. ;)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »
Hi there Bojangles, nice to clear that all up, and glad to know Roberta is married and happy, and still in the land of the living!

If you come into contact with her, ask her if she remembers Pat and Gerry Williamson (Denis Donnelly and sis Jo(Josie)).  My sis married Denis and died 1982, she was a "battered wife" and we, her family, was unaware of this.  She was a lovely girl, Roberta and her got on like a house on fire...as they say.  We had some good times.   GW