Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 52178 times)

geraldine williamson

Lower end of Spamount Street
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »
 :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hi there, does anybody remember the O'Connor family? Lived at the lower end of Spamount Street. There was a big family of them, mother was Amelia and father Dan.  I worked with Doreen, one of the daughters, at the Mater in the mid-fifties.  I took off to Coventry and Doreen got married and went to live in America.  Correspondence faded as we got older.  Would love to know how her and her husband Joe got on in US. 

johnmc

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
hello GW   I knew Kevin & Brendan the brothers. Would you remember the Reagans, Rileys Mc Williams  :hi: and you would have to know the Donnely family. Horse and cart bellmen forever .

geraldine williamson

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
Hi there, nice to hear from you.  Yes that would be 2 of Doreen's bros.  Whatever became of the family, do you know?  There were a few girls.  I remember when Doreen was engaged to Joe Bowman, she used to wear her engagement ring round her neck on a chain, the father was very strict, and she always had the newest arrival (brother/sister) in the pram pushing it to look after for her mum.  Joe used to walk alongside.  Doreen was a lovely wee girl.  GW

geraldine williamson

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:18:05 PM »
Hi there JohnMc, I can't recall any of these name you asked about, Reagans, Rileys or McWilliams etc.  Have racked my brains though.  The old grey matter ain't what it used to be!

Facing Anna McMullan's house, on the other side of Spamount St, there was a family who had an older girl, I think she was very shy and older than my sis and I.  She used to get The Red Star weekly and all those girlie magazines and give them to us when she finished them.  Used to talk on the doorstep for many an hour, lovely wee lady she was.  Don't know her name, but they let us play ball against her gable wall which led into Trainfield St.  Very odd family I think, but nice with it, never bothered with anyone in the streets.

Did you know Chrissie Hall and her mother Rosie, she was a lone mother, also in Trainfield on far side of us.  And Martha Walls and her family.  She had a sister who was Ellen Walls who suffered "sleepy sickne" and used to go about in old clothes trying to link up with anyone, think she had Parkinson's cause she shook all over.  Felt sorry for her but was afraid too...  GW

Dickie

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »
Hello Geraldine,

Maybe a bit after your time early/mid 60's at that part of Spamount St lived my cousins McKenna's (No 78) other families I knew well at that time were The O Rielly big tall lad called Michael, There was also The McGreevys The McGuigans The Largeys The Morgans. Was The Spa Inn there corner of Trainfield St. I think it was build 1950,s on a bomb site.
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

geraldine williamson

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
Hi there Dickie.  Have tried to do this twice and computer was playing up and blocking me out!!

I went to school with a wee girl called McKenna, can't remember her first name though long before your time, she might even be your aunt..she used to recite Christopher Robin is saying his prayers, for my mother.  What a lovely voice she had and so clever.  She had long blonde hair (my sis and I had long brown hair) and I used to wish I had blonde hair like her!!  Didn't know that other name you mentioned.  GW

GW.

sj

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:02:48 AM »
Hello, I know that you are talking about the bottom end of Spamount St and I lived at the other end.  I can remember from the bottom the Regans, the daughter was a teacher at the Star of hte Sea boys school.  The names that I can recall are Morrissons,( a family of very smart young people), Hanna's( Jim Had a barbers shop )Hylands, and the Mc Cauleys. .Magees, Headings, I went to Jims barbers shop for years. ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Dickie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
I remember Jim Hannas barbers corner of Spamount Street and Glenrosa Street. He moved to King St and is still there as far as I know. There was also a little shop on the other corner and next door lived The Devlins they all got the nickname Topper. I remember at the very bottom was a garage I think it was Esso. The shop at the corner of Spamount St and Leeper St was called Amelias in my day.
There was some good footballers lived in Spamount St and I suppose the best Was Eamon Largey he went on and won the Irish Cup 78/79 with the great Cliftonville side at that time. His Father had a shop at the bottom of Artillery House.

Hello, I know that you are talking about the bottom end of Spamount St and I lived at the other end.  I can remember from the bottom the Regans, the daughter was a teacher at the Star of hte Sea boys school.  The names that I can recall are Morrissons,( a family of very smart young people), Hanna's( Jim Had a barbers shop )Hylands, and the Mc Cauleys. .Magees, Headings, I went to Jims barbers shop for years. ;)

johnmc

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
Dickie   sounds like you were maybe a blow in to Spamount St  [ joking !! ] the corner shop you mention belonged to Bob and Rita Mills since Adam was a boy. They retired from there and went to live the good life at Glengormely.The local pub at trainfield st was known as Mc Grans pub  with a small walk in /out off licence type place.Tommy Mc Ilveen. a wheel in the Crues FC, lived at 115. opposite Bob,s shop.I have to say here that Bob was very good to our family even though we went to different churches and we lived in a mixed neighbour hood.Bob and Rita were regulars at Mc Grans when the shop closed at night.
      Jim Hanna was still going when I last spoke to him circa 2005. I think he was just there to supervise by then, He was a bit of a light in boxing circles.His Dad was on the board of the Mater Hsptl for a long time before the Gov got involved .And I couldn,t not mention the Donnely family  who were local coal men since  I was a lad . Horse and cart bellmen until time caught up with them and they converted to lorries.Brendan had a horse collar in stained glass above his front door .Lived nearly opposite the Mc Greevy house opposite
    So there you are Dickie . A little bit of Spamount . St history . Mind you I still haven,t figured out GW,s name yet . Give me time! And no offence intended with my first para.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Hi there again JohnMc,ons surprised you don't remember our family, the Williamsons of No 16, next door to the Mooneys who had the factory at the back, used the saw-mill all day long.  Never bothered us though.  My brothers were Bertie, John and Geraldo (father nick named him this, his name was really Gerald, after himself).Had only one sister called Patsy for short (Patricia). My maiden name is Geraldine (Gerry for short) married name Travers (married a Jim Travers from Scotland) arish Church in Raglan Street 1956.  in Coventry at St Marys Parish Church.  Didn't put my married name as no one would remember me other than Williamson.

My mother was always working, all day every day, even Sundays at the Training college on the Falls Rd doing the breakfasts for the student girls (no men in them days).

My sister married a Donnelly but they lived at Willowbank Gdns off the Antrim Rd and really thought they were the toffs!! The mother was always looking for a loan to pay the rates (they didn't own the house, bro-in-law did and rented it out to them.  They also run that wee pub Little Brown Jug in Belfast.

Small world isn't it?  GW

sj

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »
Hi there again JohnMc,ons surprised you don't remember our family, the Williamsons of No 16, next door to the Mooneys who had the factory at the back, used the saw-mill all day long.  Never bothered us though.  My brothers were Bertie, John and Geraldo (father nick named him this, his name was really Gerald, after himself).Had only one sister called Patsy for short (Patricia). My maiden name is Geraldine (Gerry for short) married name Travers (married a Jim Travers from Scotland) arish Church in Raglan Street 1956.  in Coventry at St Marys Parish Church.  Didn't put my married name as no one would remember me other than Williamson.

My mother was always working, all day every day, even Sundays at the Training college on the Falls Rd doing the breakfasts for the student girls (no men in them days).

My sister married a Donnelly but they lived at Willowbank Gdns off the Antrim Rd and really thought they were the toffs!! The mother was always looking for a loan to pay the rates (they didn't own the house, bro-in-law did and rented it out to them.  They also run that wee pub Little Brown Jug in Belfast.

Small world isn't it?  GW

Geraldine....it is a small world.  I knew Brian Donnelly and he immigrated to Canada.   His older brother was a member of parliament in N of I. about 1978.  They are the same Donnellys who lived in Willowbank.
Jim Hanna cut my hair for about 10 years and then I lfet the area.  I now live in Australia and on one of my trips back about 1997 I went to Jim's place on King St and he cut my hair.   Jim cut my hair when we had names for haircuts.  The D.A., Tony Curtis,Perry Como.  When I arrived in his shop in King St  I had my hair cut and brushed back and by the time Jim and I reminissed and talked for ages he had given me a Perry Como haircut that he used to give me about 40 years ago. :D

Dickie

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
Hello johnmc no offence taken.

I suppose I was a blow in I was from top end Hillman St. I played about Spamount St with my cousins. Here is a pic of the pub as i remember it. There was a small side bit that sold carry outs.

Dickie   sounds like you were maybe a blow in to Spamount St  [ joking !! ] the corner shop you mention belonged to Bob and Rita Mills since Adam was a boy. They retired from there and went to live the good life at Glengormely.The local pub at trainfield st was known as Mc Grans pub  with a small walk in /out off licence type place.Tommy Mc Ilveen. a wheel in the Crues FC, lived at 115. opposite Bob,s shop.I have to say here that Bob was very good to our family even though we went to different churches and we lived in a mixed neighbour hood.Bob and Rita were regulars at Mc Grans when the shop closed at night.
      Jim Hanna was still going when I last spoke to him circa 2005. I think he was just there to supervise by then, He was a bit of a light in boxing circles.His Dad was on the board of the Mater Hsptl for a long time before the Gov got involved .And I couldn,t not mention the Donnely family  who were local coal men since  I was a lad . Horse and cart bellmen until time caught up with them and they converted to lorries.Brendan had a horse collar in stained glass above his front door .Lived nearly opposite the Mc Greevy house opposite
    So there you are Dickie . A little bit of Spamount . St history . Mind you I still haven,t figured out GW,s name yet . Give me time! And no offence intended with my first para.

sj

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
Hello Dickie,

Watch that JMAC. ....He has a beard and is mean looking.  I met him a couple of years ago in Perth ( Australia) .but he is an old family friend and a very kind person. ;) I am interested in when you lived in Hillman St.  I had many friends ...pre '69 who lived at the top end just before Hallidays rd.  The sad thing is that these people dispersed around Newtownabbey and it is hard to trace them.    :smile:

johnmc

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
Dickie    SJ is full of Belfast Bulldust!  He said that about me because he owes me money!
                     Johnmc

Dickie

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
Hello,

sj I lived in the very top block above halidays rd lived there pre 69. I might know some people you knew any names. 

And JMAC do you live in Perth I have a lifelong friend lives in Perth Brian Duffy works as a lift engineer do you know him. I know Perth is a large city and this is improbable.

Hello Dickie,

Watch that JMAC. ....He has a beard and is mean looking.  I met him a couple of years ago in Perth ( Australia) .but he is an old family friend and a very kind person. ;) I am interested in when you lived in Hillman St.  I had many friends ...pre '69 who lived at the top end just before Hallidays rd.  The sad thing is that these people dispersed around Newtownabbey and it is hard to trace them.    :smile:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy