Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 47244 times)

sj

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2016, 05:00:00 AM »
 Sean. .No need to bring sex into the conversation??? :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

johnmc

« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2016, 02:50:47 AM »

Hello Sam----at the time I,m talking about  I was too young [ sex ? ] and the ladies were way far too o;d !.
                  I had found out later old Mr Mc Grann didn,t like ladies in the main bar

sj

« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:13 AM »
Did I tell ypu that Joe Mc Williams died ? :)

poguesman

« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2016, 02:11:01 AM »
Hi Sam, I believe Reilly's sweet shop was on the same side as McGann's Pub but below Glenrosa St heading toward North Queen St.
BTW I too will be in Belfast June 15 to the 27th. Also JohnMc I'm sad to report that I have lost three sisters in the last 20 months,
Eithne first followed by Cecelia and then Frances, so this will be my fourth trip in about 2 years!

johnmc

« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »
  Hello Jim--how very sad to hear about your sisters. I remember your family quite well.
                Is Margaret still with us?I still have some of your family photos.
                 Do you have any family still in Belfast
                                        Sean

sj

« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2016, 04:08:46 AM »
 Jim I am really sorry to hear about your sister.  I think that they went to the Star of the Sea school.   It's amazing that the three of us went to the same primary school and sixty years later we are talking to one another on this forum. In Sean's case it is a bit longer?? ::) ::)

Thanks for letting me know where the shop was and unfortunately I will have left Belfast by the time that you arrive.  Sean was thinking about a trip this year but don't know when he is travelling.   Good luck and have a great time on holiday.    The area has changed a lot but up the top end it is generally the same except the school has gone and so has the Lyceum. :)

poguesman

« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2016, 01:56:40 AM »
Johnmc, Yes Margaret lives in Andersonstown, Gerry lives in Turf Lodge and Marie lives in the Malone Rd.
I'm told that David Carroll still grieves deeply since Frances passed away. They lived in Antrim.

johnmc

« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2016, 02:36:30 AM »

Hello Jim  --when you visit in June can you pass on my regards. I,ve been up and down the old/new Spamount St
              but no sign of any of the old residents.
                   You could maybe tell Margaret and Marie that Ella and Jean are still with us . They have lived in Manchester for quite a few years now
                        I,ve been in Australia since 1970. I haven,t mentioned a surname but I,m sure they will know who you are talking about.
                               Davy and Frances .Pretty laid back ,from what I recall.YHA members from way back.
                                              Regards     Sean

Big lad

« Reply #308 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »
     Good afternoon Gerry, Poguesman and all, sorry about the delay but “Keek Happens” [/font]
Anyway for all us exiles a little bit of news on Spamount St. A few years ago  I dandered up lower Spamount St  which was unrecognizable from when I left[/font]
In 1969. However Spamount St from Lepper St  to Edlingham St remained much the same. This is where one Billy Wilson lived a few doors up from Lepper St corner opposite Bob Mills’ shop. Billy had Down’s Syndrome and was taunted mercilessly by the local kids (sadly I admit to being one), Yelling “Buck-a-Boo “ was sure to cause Billy to give chase. Billy being handicapped was no match for the young speedsters. I don’t know what happened to poor Billy after ’69.[/font]
So anyway mid Spamount St is up for redevelopment with most maybe all of the locals gone. My brother in law now moved to North Queen St. Now from what I can gather as reported in one of the papers redevelopment ceased a few months ago due the non payment  of “security money” [/font]
On that happy note [/font]
Let me wish one and all a Happy St Patrick’s Day.[/font]
Don’t be drinking anymore or any less[/font]

sj

« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
     Good afternoon Gerry, Poguesman and all, sorry about the delay but “Keek Happens” [/font]
Anyway for all us exiles a little bit of news on Spamount St. A few years ago  I dandered up lower Spamount St  which was unrecognizable from when I left[/font]
In 1969. However Spamount St from Lepper St  to Edlingham St remained much the same. This is where one Billy Wilson lived a few doors up from Lepper St corner opposite Bob Mills’ shop. Billy had Down’s Syndrome and was taunted mercilessly by the local kids (sadly I admit to being one), Yelling “Buck-a-Boo “ was sure to cause Billy to give chase. Billy being handicapped was no match for the young speedsters. I don’t know what happened to poor Billy after ’69.[/font]
So anyway mid Spamount St is up for redevelopment with most maybe all of the locals gone. My brother in law now moved to North Queen St. Now from what I can gather as reported in one of the papers redevelopment ceased a few months ago due the non payment  of “security money” [/font]
On that happy note [/font]
Let me wish one and all a Happy St Patrick’s Day.[/font]
Don’t be drinking anymore or any less[/font]

I met Billy , who I think was a Glens supporter about 1981 in hospital and he was still alive and looked well ( looked exactly the same ).   I was actually pleased to see him.  I was always kind to Billy.( I was from the top end of Spamount St ) and although he didn't seem to know me he appreciated talking about his life in that area.  Unfortunately Billy had to move as the areas of Belfast changed dynamics and lived around Rathcoole or Monkstown but Down syndrom people don't live to a ripe old age so he might have passed on. ;) [size=78%]   [/size]Have a great St Patrick's Day. ...Did you know that Joe Mc Williams , the artist ,passed away before Christmas . He was originally from Trainfield St .

Big lad

« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
Thank you for that SJ, I am not being funny but I honestly cannot ever remember Billy Wilson actually talking as such.
You also quite right, upper Spamount St kids did seem to have a lot more humanity; north of Lepper St?
Take it easy
Now off to the local version of an Irish pub (God help us)

RosieG

« Reply #311 on: March 17, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »
My in-laws the O'Reillys lived in 81 Spamount Street. I also worked with a girl called Betty Hughes from the lower end.

sj

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2016, 01:18:20 AM »
Thank you for that SJ, I am not being funny but I honestly cannot ever remember Billy Wilson actually talking as such.
You also quite right, upper Spamount St kids did seem to have a lot more humanity; north of Lepper St?
Take it easy
Now off to the local version of an Irish pub (God help us)

Not many people gave him a chance as he was hard to understand :)

poguesman

« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:34 AM »
SJ, I have to agree with Big Lad regarding Billy Wilson. Having grown up in Lower Seamount St I was very familiar with Billy and never once did I have a meaningful dialogue with him. Wonder if we are actually remembering the same person as the Billy that I knew was, like myself a big Crusaders supporter. Some other memories of Billy was his frequent 'skipping' and he seemed to be fastidious about wiping/blowing his nose! His family were very active/supporters of the Orange Order and fierce loyalists. I recall going to their side of the street for a 'party' celebrating the Coronation of the Queen. Although they had a strong protestant demeanor rumor was that Billy's dad was originally a catholic and on his deathbed a priest was 'smuggled in' to administer the Last Rites.

johnmc

« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2016, 02:57:13 AM »

[size=78%]Poguesman---you are spot on about Billy. The only person, apart from family, that seemed to understand him was Bob Mills in the corner grocers shop.[/size]
[size=78%]                         Billy shopped there quite often. Didn,t bother you if you didn,t bother him[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]         SJ--MY COLLISION WITH fR lARKIN OCCURED BEFORE HE BECAME PRESIDENT[/size]