Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 45702 times)

Joanie

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
I am new to this site and I really love it. I am Joan (Big Dan O'Connor's youngest daughter) Sometimes I wish I could go back in time as I loved living at #40 Spamount St. I immigrated with my husband Michael and 2 young children to Chicago in 1983.

smamount st

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »

I thought that I would never hear from you again after the family in Afghanistan adopted you, mom felt bad about that but the bed could only accommodate 6, I thought I saw you on the news throwing stones at the Brits in Kabul, you were shouting '' Brits out''

Joanie

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 08:39:39 PM »
Maurice my Norn Iron brother, I miss you so much, you are still funny.

sj

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »
Maurice ; These computers are amazing . You must be my long lost brother ; and Big Dan was my Da living in # 40 . I recall a lot of the names and places mentioned  but my memory is foggy . Do you remember me loaning you thrupence for the Duncairn Pics and sixpence for Lyceum ? Let bygones be bygones Ill stay poor . The best of luck to all present and former residents of Spamount St. I miss it .   Ray,

Hello Ray,

I didn't realise that the Lyceum was so upmarket that it was twice the price of the Duncairn.....or were there better sweets in the Jyceum.
My Dad had a shoemakers ( repairers) shop on Brougham St and my mum a small shop up near Hallidays Rd on the LHS beside the entry into Meadow St. ;) If you remember Sean Mc Cauley he posts on this thread.  He lived near Jim Hanna's shop.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

first Ray

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
 I cant remember Sean Mc Cauley but I do remember the Kennedys Spider and Roy I think who lived near Hannas barber shop . Also the Highlands close by and the Wades. I just heard Davy Saunders died { Stratheden St ] I raised the price of the Lyceaum as I knew the son of the owners while at school . It was easy to sneak into also . I remember a book store at the corner of Spam st . and Lepper st I think. I think maybe the Saxons had it . Im getting too old for this memory stuff .
Lovely weather in Sarasota Florida, Nothing but sun and blue skies.  Luck to all .  R.

sj

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Hello Ray,

We are in N.E. Australia North of Cairns with a similar climate to Florida.   I remember the Hylands and the Morrissons.  There was Sammy and a whole crowd of girls.  The Mc Manus's, Donnellys ( coal) and Miss Regan taught me at the Star of the Sea. ;)

irish dance

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
Hi SJ,  Where in Brougham Street did you Father have a shop ?  Are you still coming to the old sod this year ?  I think Father Leslie was here but only for a few days.  Two new additions to the Family, identical twin Grand Daughters and another Grandchild due next month in Thailand.  Hope all is well with you.

Regards ID

apalachie

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
I cant remember Sean Mc Cauley but I do remember the Kennedys Spider and Roy I think who lived near Hannas barber shop . Also the Highlands close by and the Wades. I just heard Davy Saunders died { Stratheden St ] I raised the price of the Lyceaum as I knew the son of the owners while at school . It was easy to sneak into also . I remember a book store at the corner of Spam st . and Lepper st I think. I think maybe the Saxons had it . Im getting too old for this memory stuff .
Lovely weather in Sarasota Florida, Nothing but sun and blue skies.  Luck to all .  R.
I think you,ll find Davy Saunders is alive and well but his brother Tony died about two and a half years ago
just after another brother(Frankie) was murdered by his girlfriend.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

first Ray

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 02:24:02 AM »
 Im sorry I received in correct Info ; regarding Davie Saunders and Ill make sure sender to me hears about it .  Thanks for letting me know. Is Moya still with us ? if you know .

sj

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:46 AM »
Hi SJ,  Where in Brougham Street did you Father have a shop ?  Are you still coming to the old sod this year ?  I think Father Leslie was here but only for a few days.  Two new additions to the Family, identical twin Grand Daughters and another Grandchild due next month in Thailand.  Hope all is well with you.

Regards ID

Bon Jour I.D....Yes I leave here on 21st June and arrive in Dublin on 11th June.  In between we visit China , Paris , and Switzerland and then fly to Dublin.  We won't visit Leslie in China but go further into the middle to visit a Belfast bloke.  Brougham St was like a continuation of the Duncairn Gdns from the traffic lights at the junction of North Queen St / Duncairn Gdns down to York St.  His shop was on the R.H.S. ;)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
Hi there Joanie, My name is Geraldine Williamson (married name Travers).  Are you related to Doreen O'Connor who also lived in Spamount St?

I worked with Doreen for years at the Mater Hospital and we used to correspond when she got married to Joe Brown and moved to USA. 

I moved after I got married in Coventry and even though we both corresponded with Moira O'Donnell who also worked at the Mater, we seemed to lose contact.

I would love to know how Doreen is.  She sent me a wedding photo and also one of her first son was born.

I have been trying for years to contact her but until I retired and got a computer at home was unable.  I do hope you will reply to this Joanie as it would more than make my day.  We were good friends and enjoyed our work as medical secretaries at the Mater.  Manys a good laugh we had over the medical terminology. 

God Bless.

Cheers GW in Coventry.

sj

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »

Bon Jour I.D....Yes I leave here on 21st June and arrive in Dublin on 11th June.  In between we visit China , Paris , and Switzerland and then fly to Dublin.  We won't visit Leslie in China but go further into the middle to visit a Belfast bloke.  Brougham St was like a continuation of the Duncairn Gdns from the traffic lights at the junction of North Queen St / Duncairn Gdns down to York St.  His shop was on the R.H.S. ;)

that should be 21st May. :swoon: :swoon:

apalachie

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
Im sorry I received in correct Info ; regarding Davie Saunders and Ill make sure sender to me hears about it .  Thanks for letting me know. Is Moya still with us ? if you know .

First Ray, Let me apologise, I thought you were talking about Davy the son who is around 60, but now that you mention Moya(who is still with us)I realise you were referring to the father(who did indeed leave the departure lounge last Wednesday,rip). Sorry for the mix up but I hadn,t heard about aul Davy dieing until I read your post this morning and I called my bro who lives down  the road and he confirmed it.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Hi there Sj, Are you one of the O'Connor family who lived in Spamount Street?  I have sent a personal message to Maurice regarding my friend, his sister Doreen, who I worked with at the Mater in Belfast.  Would love to get in  touch with Doreen again who I am told lives in Florida.

Small world, isn't it (like they say in the song!)  Cheers GW in Coventry

first Ray

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
 Geraldine ; I just now spoke to Doreen via phone. She is currently suffering  several Medical problems but I did tell her of your inquiries . Im very bad  on the computer and Im lucky I can do this much . I do prefere reg , e mails and if you or any one else care to write me via e mail please do .
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and Im not a blabber mouth . My email addy is . [email protected]   
Good Luck to all.  R.