Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 47254 times)

Joanie

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
Hi Geraldine, nice to read your reply. Yes Doreen Bowman is my sister, now living in Florida with her husband Joe Bowman. I read my brother Ray has already spoken to her and passed on your message. I hope she gets in touch and you guys can have a good laugh about your days at the Mater.   

geraldine williamson

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
Hi there again Joanie, Nice of you to get back to me.

Honestly, I never thought I would ever hear of Doreen again; we had such good times working at the hospital.  She was a very clever lady, and her shorthand was superb, we had 5 consultants each, we never had a quarrel or anything amiss, got on like a house on fire, as they say.

I am sorry to hear that she is not too well, hope not too serious.  She is the first person I ever saw using Kleenex tissues, they were new out in the 50's; we also had cotton hankies.  We used to wash our hankies in the loo and dry them on the big hot pipe by our office-door.  I suffered from hayfever and used a lot of cotton hankies, memories are so precious when one gets older.

Must go anyway and let you get on, but again thanks for replying.  Looking forward to hearing from Doreen herself, d.v.  Cheers, Geraldine Travers-Williamson in Coventry.

first Ray

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2011, 04:20:02 AM »
 Gerry did you know a wee girl from Trainfield st [ Sally Doherty ] I walked her home once in a while.
Hope she didnt wash her hankies in the Lou as Im gonna have to forget about her but dont really want to . She was a fine wee girl and good people as we say .  R.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
Hi there Ray, Yes, I did know the Dohertys, three daughters, and Sally (very good looking wee girl) was the youngest. She has a brother Gerald too.  The middle sis was my sister's age (Eileen).  They all had long hair and were a lovely family. 

Have sent an e-mail to Doreen and do hope she is feeling a wee bit better.  She always put her family first, and always wanted to live abroad.  The weather in Ireland (and England)  is so cold and we never have a decent summer anymore. 

Last year the snow put everybody back, and it was so cold.  You lot are in the right place, we never made it to Los Angles as my father died 1950 and it all fell through.  He had relatives there then, though my 2nd son Stephen (he is 50 in March) travels to and fro from Brazil to Holland and has apartment in both countries.

Nice to hear from you again, Bye and God Bless

geraldine williamson

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »
Ray, just for the record, there was a wash-hand basin in the loo on the 1st floor (where the nuns used as well) and that is where we washed our hankies!!! 

What are you like? 

Just thought I would mention this, Doreen would never forgive me if she thought I said we washed them in  the loo, just the wash-basin.  Cheers again and look after yourself, Gerry in Coventry.

first Ray

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
 Ger ; Glad you remembered the wash hand basin lol.  The weather all over the world this year seems to be crazy . I strongly recommend  Florida although the summers here are extremly hot and humid. I met Rinty Monaghans brother who lives here in Sarasota ; Hes a Gentleman . I cant describe my self other being a survivour tg . Life can be hard at times but when the going gets tough ;
The tough get going . Im fortunate to have the Irish Rover Bar  around the corner where I can have a chat and maybe a pint of that aul black stuff ; I forget its name . I also stop into the King George bar which is very close also
and have met a few Belfast in there . We all get along very well .
Ta go maith .  R.

johnmc

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
 :hi: hello Geraldine / first ray   
            who do you know from the new lodge
                 page 58
        Gerry Doherty   2nd on left front row
      from memory the Doherty kids had all got
          great hair   johnmc

first Ray

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
 I spent a lotta time on the New Lodge  Rd. Patrickville snooker club with Pat Mc Stravick running it . Its prob long gone. I knew lotta people . The Saxons lived on the top section ; My aul head is gone so cant remember names right now. Also Hardinge St area and that wee section that had steps leading down to it. We called her Big Kathleen Alsip lived down there . She was a good looker.
My Mom passed away while living in the lower end of the New Lodge .
Is Laverys pawn shop still there ?  The fish and chip shop and caufilelds groceries . Gotta get out and view my Gulf of Mexico ; I try to view it every day as it reminds me of Greencastle beach lol.
Slan .  R.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Hi there, JohnMac - what a head of hair, you are right! 

I remember Gerald he was so shy, I suppose being the only boy with 3 sisters etc.  The eldest girl moved away when she married and the middle one Eileen married a guy in uniform, we had just left at the time, but Sally was always by herself or with the mother.  I think the father died around that time too.  Cheers Geraldine in Coventry

geraldine williamson

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
Hi there Ray, Nice to get your reply again.  Is it the Guinness you mean "that aul black stuff"...!!  I  :smile: don't participate nor do I smoke.  never cottoned on to the idea.  My sister did though.  A glass of wine on high days and holidays is my only tipple.

When did your Mom die then, did she live on the New Lodge Rd, she must have moved after I left for Coventry.  When I left there were 8 of your family so there would have been 4 more children after 1955.  She was a wonderful woman RIP, looking after all of you.  They say behind every successful man, is a good woman and it's true.  Your father was a pillar of strength also, I heard many a time people in Belfast saying how good he was to them with work etc.  Times were hard enough then.

Has Doreen got a large family?  When I last corresponded with her 1957 she had just had her first baby like myself and we both gave birth to sons.  Strange how the years fly by, but memories linger.

I worked up until last April 30th, at 75 years of age, but I loved working for the neurosurgeons at the University Hospital here in Coventry, they were good to me too, and the money helped especially after Jim died so suddenly.

Anyway must go, have to cook a risotto for my son and me tonight.  Nice hearing from you again.

Bye for now and look after yourself.  That picture of Gerald Doherty is on page 58, have you had a look yet?

Gerry.

first Ray

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
 Ger Im a real badun ; I do both drink and smoke and some times I even give the wimmin a second glance  . Ill never get to Heaven .
Doreen has 4 kids all grown  2 boys and 2 what ya may call ems. All doing well .
Its Sally Doherty Id like to see as I dont know her brother. Yes I remember her hair . Hopefully Doreen will soon chat with you herself as Im a scatter brain and
dont pay lotta attention to things like I should.
Do your remember the Simpsons on Trainfield St ; They had greyhounds .

irish dance

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
Hi Ray,   You don't know me as I am not from Spamount Street but as you seem to be rather fond of girls with long hair you may have given me a second glance because I had long blonde hair back in the 60's.  The only dog in Trainfield Street that I knew was the O'Prey's dog who was called Skipper ??

geraldine williamson

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Hi there Ray, I'm sure you're not a badun really, a drink never did anybody any harm so long as they know when to stop..thats the secret!

As for smoking, well I watched my sis-in-law suffocate from smoking at only 45 years of age, smoking since she was about 9, and it was not very pleasant.  I was working at the hospital at the time and the powers that be would not even change her bed sheets, they were soaking wet.  I had a word in someone's ear and got things moving, even her drip had packed-up.  The cardiologist smoked himself, so the Registrar told me, anyway water under the bridge as they say. 

My eldest son (54) smokes and partakes of spirits much to my dismay, but he smokes outside, and is pretty sociable when he has a drink, no worries.

Doreen has 2 boys and 2 girls then, a nice size. Did she name any of the boys after her father?  I named my first born after  my Dad RIP (Gerald). I have just the 2 boys and one girl.  My back packed up after Caroline was born so I decided against any more off-springs.  I had laminectomy (disc surgery) 1977 but was back on my feet in 3 months d.v. and working again..hard to kill a bad thing as my old mother used to say!!!

Looking forward to hearing from Doreen.  Trust she is feeling better.  Cheers and take care of yourself, Gerry.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
Hi there Irish dance, I remember that dog Skipper, he was a lovely old thing.  Rory and Henry were the 2 sons.  The father used to go on his bike same time every day, a hard worked, mother was quiet and bothered with nobody.  Lovely family. 

We lived on the other side of the OPreys at No 16 Trainfield Street beside the Mooneys who had the wood yard at the back.  They also a lovely family, 2 girls and one son also called Gerald.

I bet you have lovely long blonde hair, the Doherty's always had their hair long, the three sisters, they were lovely girls.  Ray is the brother of my first best friend Doreen, and we lost touch after I came to Coventry and she to the USA.  I remember Doreen when she met her future husband Joe, a painter and decorator by trade, quiet lovely guy.  They were fated to end up together too.  Great match they were.  I remember him buying her Nat King Cole records in the 50's. Yea, memories.   Geraldine W. in Coventry.

first Ray

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2011, 01:07:44 AM »
 Conas a ta tu Irish Dance. My neices in Chicago are Irish dancing and they are quite good Im told .My uncle Desmonds rip . daughter in PA teaches Irish dancing . Desmond was interned or held prisioner on the ship out side Carrick I think with his Bros. Gerry and John . Blond hair  hmm . and long . Just had a few pints of that aul Black Stuff Yuk .
Ger.  Doreens four are Doreen ; Dan ;laura and Kevin . all doing well TG .
Just got back from an aul den of iniquity where they actually sold  booze .
5 $ a pint which I think is cheap by your standards .
No reason to say this but so you know Im a widower .My wife  Rip was from Scartaglen near Tralee and Castleisland  Kerry . Ive been there a few times and loved it . I have a Lady Friend  Sharon by name whose sleeping now and Im starved .  Thats Nuff ,  Good luck to all Yiz . Oh Ive been to Coventry a few times .  Gonna wake Herself up ; Im no eejit .  R.