Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 47225 times)

first Ray

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
 Couldnt wake her up and I was starved so I poured a wee cup of cold water on her face . Not a big aul mug of it. She was furious. She called me an aul git and much more. I dont know what the hell is wrong with wimmin any more. All they wanna do is sleep and eat . To morrow I was just gonna have her scrub the kitchen floor and do the windows but now she will cut the grass  and pull the weeds . She did feed me good so maybe Ill let her sleep till 6am.  She better be quiet and not wake me up as I like to get my rest .

irish dance

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
Couldnt wake her up and I was starved so I poured a wee cup of cold water on her face . Not a big aul mug of it. She was furious. She called me an aul git and much more. I dont know what the hell is wrong with wimmin any more. All they wanna do is sleep and eat . To morrow I was just gonna have her scrub the kitchen floor and do the windows but now she will cut the grass  and pull the weeds . She did feed me good so maybe Ill let her sleep till 6am.  She better be quiet and not wake me up as I like to get my rest .

Jes#s Ray all I can say is Sharon is a Saint no way would you last five minutes living with me  :air_kiss:   Know Scartaglen/Castleisland very well, live not that far away. 

Regards ID

first Ray

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 01:04:54 AM »
 I have her running to day ; Good Nuff for her. Ive eaten twice  already .  Ill have her polish my shoes then give her a wee break .
I have many fond memories of Tralee and the area. Went up to Bally Seedy Cross once and said a wee prayer .Is the Pike Man statue still standing in the square in Talee if you know ?
JC she wants a break and its only 9pm.
Cant even have a drink with her ; One wee glass of wine and shes out of it and starts singing .
Luck To All .

apalachie

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:12 AM »
I hope she,s singing" Grace"
Oh for all our yesterdays.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:19 AM »
Morning Ray, Got reply this morning from Doreen, thanks to yourself and Maurice. Give him my regards.

How;s you?  Still waving the big stick?!!!  Sure you could could cook a nice meal for that lady of yours and surprise her, maybe you prefer her to cook for you, eh?

Anyway, what iis the food like in your part of the world. here nothing changes, much like Belfast only with the freedom we never experienced at home.  People don't ask what religion you are, they just get on with life.

Must go, duty calls and all that.  Regards and take care, Gerry.

first Ray

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
 Gerry simply put: Im not lazy but I am useless in the kitchen . I mean that . Im basicially a meat and potatoes eater . Herself is a good cook but shes from the mountainous area of PA so I more or less eat country style . Beggars cant be choosers . I could care  less what religion a person is . If they are decent people what more would one want . Once one escapes from the narrow mindness in  NI they soon begin to enjoy the pleasure of the company other peoples company regardless of religion. Politics is a different story .
Hope you guys  have  a great day . We have sun  sun   sun  and blue skies.
Good Luck to all.  R.

first Ray

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
 I may be wrong but ive heard that women speak about 22000 words a day  and Men about 10000 .  By the time women are finished talking we Men forget
 what they were talking about in the first place . God help us. I found its best just to nod my head when are talking and let it all go in one ear and out the other but then my neck gets sore with all the nodding .
Shes off to the big Dept. store with a big long list and will return with all kinds stuff and tell how much money she saved me as every thing was on sale.
In Spamount st . The aul wimmin wearing the shawls stood out side yapping about who knows what ; then when the hard working men were coming up the street the wimmin would disapear into the house ;go into the scullery and stand by the stove with nuttin cooking on it. 
The poor hardworking man would end up with a piece of bread and jam .
If lucky maybe a Barney Hughes bap . with a sausage on it.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
Ray, you are so right about the shawls on the women in Belfast!  Sally Doherty's mom used to stand for hours after school on the far side of our road talking to the one next door!!  My mother hadn't the time God love her as she had 2 jobs to go to, my father had a heart condition and could not work from 1945 till he died in June 1950, he was only 41 RIP. Mom was the bread-winner for the family until my sis and started to work.

I didn't know you were a widower, you must have been devastated at the time, have you any children? 

My brother Bertie had the same thing happen to his wife, but he lived with my mother up until she died 1984 RIP.  Then my youngest brother Gerald lost his wife to pneumonia in 1991, he contiued to live on his own but one morning his daughter called in to see him, she had a key, and found him dead in the bedroom.  It was a terrible shock.  He was just turned 60.  He had a brain haemorrhage they said at the post mortem.  I suppose that's life.

Do you remember Dolores who lived next door to your family in Spamount Street, how is she doing?  I remember going to the Orpheus ballroom with her a few times, she had lovely black hair and was such a dreamer at time.  Did Dolores emigrate too?

Must go and get the tea on, bye for now and God Bless, Gerry.

first Ray

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
 Ger ; as far I know Delorous Reilly and Sis. Joan are alive and kicking but best to ask Doreen about them. They also lived at 44 Spam . st  and we in # 40 next door # 42 was my aunt Letia Hunter .  More family the Regans in  # 50
on our other side # 38 were the Mc Greevy family .
The aul shawl wimmin wee not so bad as when we sat down on the cold granite curb once in a while they got pillows for us.  It made us much more comfortabe while we watched the Gallaher girls walking up the street . The Gallaher girls didnt even have a cigarette for us and we dying for one.
Im bad with dates etc of peoples passings as I prob inwardly want to take the easy way out and not be stressed out etc but I do care .
Just had a fine feed of mashed spuds.  She had wee green things in it but I was afraid to asked her what they were  as I might not get it again .
A mans work is never done ; Might have a wee nap while she does the dishes .

irish dance

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »
Hi Ray,  Can you remember the names of the Regans (were they related to you?)  and the names of the McGreevy's.

The Pikeman is also known as The Croppy Boy as in the song.

Regards ID

first Ray

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
Dancer ; The  Regans are family . Lily was my moms sister . the off spring are
 Kathleen ' Eileen and Eddie maybe more ? Eddie is St . Mals college .  I dont know much more  although they are family .
The Mc Greevys are as best as I can remember are . Sally . Bernette [Bernie ]
Jim [MY old friend ] Meritith [ Merit ] and John . I may have for gotten some one .
The Pike Man in Tralee square was designed or what ever by a Reidy . My wifes RIP name but she was an O Sullivan from Scart area .
The North began . The North held on. God bless my native North land.
Ballybunnion  has a nice beach but look up Siesta key beach Fld.

chi

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 03:53:31 AM »
Ger ; as far I know Delorous Reilly and Sis. Joan are alive and kicking but best to ask Doreen about them. They also lived at 44 Spam . st  and we in # 40 next door # 42 was my aunt Letia Hunter .  More family the Regans in  # 50
on our other side # 38 were the Mc Greevy family .
The aul shawl wimmin wee not so bad as when we sat down on the cold granite curb once in a while they got pillows for us.  It made us much more comfortabe while we watched the Gallaher girls walking up the street . The Gallaher girls didnt even have a cigarette for us and we dying for one.
Im bad with dates etc of peoples passings as I prob inwardly want to take the easy way out and not be stressed out etc but I do care .
Just had a fine feed of mashed spuds.  She had wee green things in it but I was afraid to asked her what they were  as I might not get it again .
A mans work is never done ; Might have a wee nap while she does the dishes .
Dolores Reilly  was my sister in-law she passed on a few years ago . Her husband Paul my brother just passed on a week ago . Joan her sister is still living.
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
Hi there chi,

Thank you for getting in touch, but with such sad news about Dolores RIP. 

I remember her very well, she was a lovely person and very talented.  I thought a lot of her, but having had to come to Coventry for work etc lost touch.  Found Doreen O'Connor through her brothers, lost touch with her  too after she married and had her first born.  I worked with Doreen at the Mater Hospital for a number of years, but then home conditions had changed with the death of my father RIP and my sis and I came to Coventry, the remainder of the family followed us across.  Do you still reside in Belfast?

My husband Jim Travers is also deceased, nearly 15 years now, had heart attack playing a game of squash at the Coventry University, and had just retired from Lloyds Bank here.  But things have to move on and we come to terms with them, as they say.

Again, thanks for reply.  Regards Gerry Travers in Coventry

first Ray

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
 Sorry to learn of your brother Paul . I actually recall him visiting # 44 . I wasnt aware that Dolores has gone to a better place also . May they RIP .  R

first Ray

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
 Ger ; your right about having to come to terms with certain things and moving on . We must remain strong or we would never survive. It can be difficult ; Sad and our hearts can be breaking but for the benifit of our selves and family and friends we must plough on .
I must tell you this ;That while working my chosen profession I have seen many persons including women and children suddenly depart this life ; co workers also who were my personal friends ;They all met violent deaths.
 Life isnt a garden of  roses so we  should try to smell them when possible.
 Alls well with me and hopefully the same with you guys.   R.