Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 41816 times)

sj

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2016, 04:07:12 AM »
 Hello Jim & John,

What a memory or it's the medication.   There weren't many Downsyndrom boys on Spamount but I remembered him.   When you are bored in a hospital you talk to the walls but I did do most of the talking but he was pleased when I mentioned Spamount St.    I was in Billy's company a few times as most of my friends knew him ....I think that Billy might have gone to Mountycollyer school but that is just a guess as most of my friend when there.    I never knew anyone who was a Crues fan. .I always got claustrophobia when I went to their ground.

Sean The teacher / priest whom I was referring to on the St Malachy's site was the tall priest who had black hair and who took a swipe at you if you got too close to him. He became head of the languages dept.    :)  I'll take a walk for both of you in June down Spamount St.   

Doing some genelogy and discovered that my grandparents came from Ballymena to live in Spamount ( at 107 ) where my aunt Peggy was born and then moved mid 40's to Brougham St where he had a shoerepair shop and living premises.   We lived at the top l.h.s. almost on Hallidays road. :o
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Big lad

« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »
how do you save something you have written but go to check back on another post. I must have had two paragraphs done and then lost that lot. "the machines are winning!!!"
Anyway start again SJ two items;  first up , when I was a lad 103 Spamount St was a Mrs McGary or was that 99, anyway someone will let me know, 105 was a great lady and her family Bridie Fitzsimmons (I will post more on Bridie another time) 107 was the Poguesman's family and 109 the Blackhams.
Secondly I did not know the Mcwilliams the poet/artist you mentioned but did know a Charly McWilliams, a country man who lived in Tranfield St who moved later to Stratheden St. A great guy who worked with my old man when the Kilroot Power station was being built.
Don't want get too far ahead as I liable to hit the wrong button and lose all this.
Anyhow next time up "How John ( the Moon ) Kearney got his nickname

sj

« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2016, 03:12:30 AM »
how do you save something you have written but go to check back on another post. I must have had two paragraphs done and then lost that lot. "the machines are winning!!!"
Anyway start again SJ two items;  first up , when I was a lad 103 Spamount St was a Mrs McGary or was that 99, anyway someone will let me know, 105 was a great lady and her family Bridie Fitzsimmons (I will post more on Bridie another time) 107 was the Poguesman's family and 109 the Blackhams.
Secondly I did not know the Mcwilliams the poet/artist you mentioned but did know a Charly McWilliams, a country man who lived in Tranfield St who moved later to Stratheden St. A great guy who worked with my old man when the Kilroot Power station was being built.
Don't want get too far ahead as I liable to hit the wrong button and lose all this.
Anyhow next time up "How John ( the Moon ) Kearney got his nickname

Hello bigman,

Samuel Caulfield lived at 107 Spamount St on 17th August 1923 when his youngest daughter  Margaret was born.    When he moved to Brougham St I am not entirely sure but he died there in 1950. I think that he maybe moved before Jim's family moved into 107.  Jim could confirm the date.   Joe Mc Williams ancestors lived in Carnmoney St and appear on the 1901 census and then his father moved to Trainfield St at some stage and he was probably born in Trainfield St..  He was President of the Ulster Society and painted the paintings that depict the Orange Band dancing at the front of St Patrick's Church.    He is famous for more than just that painting but tended to paint the Troubles  from a particular perspective.
In relation to going back and looking at a previous post. .you can scroll down the page using the buttons at bottom R.H.S. of the page and see previous posts on the same page.  If that isn't what you want to do minimise your page , open up a new browser and you will find what you want by goinging into the site again. .or if you have windows 10 type what you want to do into the space on the bottom l.h.s. of the screen and click search and the help will appear. ::) :D

sj

« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »
hEllo Poguesman,

Isn't the above post scarey.     Imagine my grandfather living in a house that your family later lived in.  I could never understand how my mother who lived at Brougham St would know many people from that section of Spamount St.  I knew the Blackhams as well but she knew amongst other, The Morrissons( Sammy, Mary & Rita were three of the children whom I knew & Betty), Mc Greeveys, Hylands, Hannas, O'Connors, O'Preys, Headings, Donnelly's coal and Connors coal....she knew all those wimmin. :)

Dingaling40

« Reply #319 on: July 09, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
Hi Malcolm ,did u ever come on any photos of Jim ,talking to some people who say his wife is in a retirement home.these folk lived near the family 1girl 4 boys  Jim n Tui had,imagine that,when I knew him he was18 n I was 16.At time he died they had 10 Grandchildren,flip,We've 3 kids n 5 grandkids,enough for us ,Regards.

geraldine williamson

« Reply #320 on: July 09, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
Hi everybody, does anyone know whatever happened to Bhoro?  he used to keep in touch via BF but my computer crashed a few times and I now am retrieving some of my old posts from a while back.  Also Big Ray who lives in 40 Spamount Street. They both seem to have disappeared.  Cheers Gerry in Coventry ???

geraldine williamson

« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Hi everybody, does anyone know whatever happened to Bhoro?  he used to keep in touch via BF but my computer crashed a few times and I now am retrieving some of my old posts from a while back.  Also Big Ray who lives in 40 Spamount Street. They both seem to have disappeared.  Cheers Gerry in Coventry ???
Hey everyone who knew of Big Ray, I heard from  his niece Doreen Jr. (daughter of Doreen and Joe Bowman) to let us all know that he died day before his sister Doreen 27th December 2018.  His sister Doreen died on 28th December 2018.  R.I.P. to them both. I wasn't sure if I had already informed BF pals.  Gerry in Coventry. :(

sj

« Reply #322 on: April 17, 2018, 02:09:02 AM »
Hello Geraldine.....thanks for that information. :)