Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 52179 times)

sj

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »
Hello Dickie,

I went to primary school at the Star of the Sea which was very close.  In the top end where you lived I knew the Donaldsons . 2nd door from Hallidays Rd on l.h.s. and further up there ws the Cummings who were a family of six boys and they al went to the Jaffa school.  On the r.h.s. there was Tommy Lee...ist door past the shop and then Miss Mc Cormick who taught the piano.  Relations of my mothers lived near Miss Mc Cormick and they were called Scullion.Do you remember the Cannings, Mickey and Brian whose parents owned the Academy newsagency opposite the Cliftonville Rd.  Just below the Hallidays were great friends of mine, the Shiels...1st door past the shop and on the opposite side was the Cappers. ;) My mum had the small shop beside the entry at the top of Spamount St. ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

geraldine williamson

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
Hi there Sj, again, you have taken  my breath way!  I went to Miss McCormack for music lessons, she was a lovely lady and very patient.  Manys a happy hour I spent twice a week, learning pianoforte, all the Strauss waltz etc.  I played by ear and was always in trouble by not being to point where I was on the music sheet!  But sure Paul McCartney plays by ear so I suppose I was in  good company....  GW

Dickie

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
Hello sj,

I have very very fond memories of miss McCormack she lived directly facing me in Hillman St. I remember she would bring me into her parlour, where her piano was situated and play for me. She would give me a biscuit and a glass of milk. She must have taken a liking to me because I was the only kid in the street that she allowed into her house. Her friend lived next door Miss Cormican and miss McCormack kept an eye on her, she was an older lady. I was not fornunate enough for my family to be able to afford piano lessons but later in life i found that I had a ear for music. My wife bought me a guitar for my 40th birthday and I taught myself to play t a reasonable standard. Since I have learned to play the tin whistle, harmonica, and am currently struggling with the mandoline. Maybe all those years ago listening to Miss McCormack taught me something.
A few doors down lived The Scullions and I remember them well. I also remember The Donaldsons and I would have played with them and the Cummings. I was a similar age to Edward and it broke my heart when they left Hillman st. One of the older brothers is on friends re-united and lives on York Rd working as an undertaker. I attempted to contact him with no reply. The Cummings eventually had a girl Linda I think was her name she was the youngest.
Thinking back then its very sad that because of the troubles friends were lost when nearly all the protestants left Hillman St. Familys that I grew up with including The Cummings, The Donaldsons, The Mussens, The Toppings, The Muterys all left.
I remember The Cannings very well and they were such a lovely family. Brian I think was the youngest and they lived above the shop. I remember they had a viandra which looked onto the Antrim Rd. There was also a daughter who was very good looking and was really nice. Mr and Mrs Canning were lovely people and I think they moved to Bangor and Brian looked after the shop.
Thanks for reminding me of Miss McCormack, she always wore Black I wonder did she lose a loved on in the war or something and never married I suppose we will never know but she was a lovely lady.

Hello Dickie,

I went to primary school at the Star of the Sea which was very close.  In the top end where you lived I knew the Donaldsons . 2nd door from Hallidays Rd on l.h.s. and further up there ws the Cummings who were a family of six boys and they al went to the Jaffa school.  On the r.h.s. there was Tommy Lee...ist door past the shop and then Miss Mc Cormick who taught the piano.  Relations of my mothers lived near Miss Mc Cormick and they were called Scullion.Do you remember the Cannings, Mickey and Brian whose parents owned the Academy newsagency opposite the Cliftonville Rd.  Just below the Hallidays were great friends of mine, the Shiels...1st door past the shop and on the opposite side was the Cappers. ;) My mum had the small shop beside the entry at the top of Spamount St. ;)
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

muckermcd

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:45 AM »
Hi There Dickie
I went to school with a Jim McGuigan who I beleive lived in Spamount Street and from memory he lost a sister in an explosion as I have vauge memories of him being called out of the class on the day it happened.
Would anyone know of his whereabouts??

Thanks
Mucker

f uf
Hi there Dickie.  Have tried to do this twice and computer was playing up and blocking me out!!

I went to school with a wee girl called McKenna, can't remember her first name though long before your time, she might even be your aunt..she used to recite Christopher Robin is saying his prayers, for my mother.  What a lovely voice she had and so clever.  She had long blonde hair (my sis and I had long brown hair) and I used to wish I had blonde hair like her!!  Didn't know that other name you mentioned.  GW

GW.

Dickie

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:13 AM »
Hello mucker

I do not live around there anymore but as far as I know Jim stil lives in the new lodge I will try and find his whereabouts. Jim lived 2 doors down from my cousins directly facing Glenrosa st.

Hi There Dickie
I went to school with a Jim McGuigan who I beleive lived in Spamount Street and from memory he lost a sister in an explosion as I have vauge memories of him being called out of the class on the day it happened.

Thanks
Mucker

f uf

sj

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »
Hello sj,

I have very very fond memories of miss McCormack she lived directly facing me in Hillman St. I remember she would bring me into her parlour, where her piano was situated and play for me. She would give me a biscuit and a glass of milk. She must have taken a liking to me because I was the only kid in the street that she allowed into her house. Her friend lived next door Miss Cormican and miss McCormack kept an eye on her, she was an older lady. I was not fornunate enough for my family to be able to afford piano lessons but later in life i found that I had a ear for music. My wife bought me a guitar for my 40th birthday and I taught myself to play t a reasonable standard. Since I have learned to play the tin whistle, harmonica, and am currently struggling with the mandoline. Maybe all those years ago listening to Miss McCormack taught me something.
A few doors down lived The Scullions and I remember them well. I also remember The Donaldsons and I would have played with them and the Cummings. I was a similar age to Edward and it broke my heart when they left Hillman st. One of the older brothers is on friends re-united and lives on York Rd working as an undertaker. I attempted to contact him with no reply. The Cummings eventually had a girl Linda I think was her name she was the youngest.
Thinking back then its very sad that because of the troubles friends were lost when nearly all the protestants left Hillman St. Familys that I grew up with including The Cummings, The Donaldsons, The Mussens, The Toppings, The Muterys all left.
I remember The Cannings very well and they were such a lovely family. Brian I think was the youngest and they lived above the shop. I remember they had a viandra which looked onto the Antrim Rd. There was also a daughter who was very good looking and was really nice. Mr and Mrs Canning were lovely people and I think they moved to Bangor and Brian looked after the shop.
Thanks for reminding me of Miss McCormack, she always wore Black I wonder did she lose a loved on in the war or something and never married I suppose we will never know but she was a lovely lady.

Hello Dickie,

Those are great memories.  One of my best friends durinh primary school and for part of high school was Joe Donaldson .  He went to the Star of the Sea school.  I have tried for years to contact Raymond Shiels but to no avail.  Mickey Canning was the youngest and was about the same age as me and we went to the same school .  There was Maureen , a sister who had blondish hair, and was really nice and another older sister.  I also tried to contact the oldest Cummins but never got a reply.  That top end of Hillman St was great spot for playing soccer.  The Donaldsons were related to Joe Mulholland who was the builder and Frank who had the shop on Hallidays Rd was also related.  It was a great spot when Frank Carson worked for Joe Mulholland and practiced his jokes on the kids going to school. :D

poguesman

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
I lived at 107 Spamount St. As a kid I hung out (a little) with your brother Geraldo!
Another friend of mine was Jim McFaul from 101 (next door to Mr & Mrs McGarry at the lamppost beside the Blairs!)
My Granny owned McMahons shop - Teesie and Jimmy and my mom Maggie were the children. By the way someone
mentioned Malachy's Butchers on North Queen St although it was commonly called that it was really owned by my
uncle Jimmy! Another interesting memory I have of your family - You were the first people that I knew to get a
television set and we were not allowed in to see it, so Geraldo left the blind up a little and we quietly leaned on
your window sill to peek at it! I remember thinking how are they going to sing on it? (Duh) What ever happened to Geraldo?

Dickie

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
Hello again sj,

Yes the top of Hillman street was great for football. Where the flats garages where a goal post was painted on the wall. We played a game called kemp there, it was one or two touch football.
Down our entry which was closed was Mullhollands Yard and I remember going down and remember the smell of sawdust. Do you remember Mrs Maxwell's shop top of upper meadow street. She was a tall lady and I remember my father sending me to get a bottle of coffee she was the only shop that sold it. I cannot remember the name of it at the moment but it wiil come to me.
Got it, it was called Camp

Hello Dickie,

Those are great memories.  One of my best friends durinh primary school and for part of high school was Joe Donaldson .  He went to the Star of the Sea school.  I have tried for years to contact Raymond Shiels but to no avail.  Mickey Canning was the youngest and was about the same age as me and we went to the same school .  There was Maureen , a sister who had blondish hair, and was really nice and another older sister.  I also tried to contact the oldest Cummins but never got a reply.  That top end of Hillman St was great spot for playing soccer.  The Donaldsons were related to Joe Mulholland who was the builder and Frank who had the shop on Hallidays Rd was also related.  It was a great spot when Frank Carson worked for Joe Mulholland and practiced his jokes on the kids going to school. :D

sj

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »
Hello again sj,

Yes the top of Hillman street was great for football. Where the flats garages where a goal post was painted on the wall. We played a game called kemp there, it was one or two touch football.
Down our entry which was closed was Mullhollands Yard and I remember going down and remember the smell of sawdust. Do you remember Mrs Maxwell's shop top of upper meadow street. She was a tall lady and I remember my father sending me to get a bottle of coffee she was the only shop that sold it. I cannot remember the name of it at the moment but it wiil come to me.
Got it, it was called Camp

Camp coffee with chickory was one of the range.  I played a lot of soccer in the yard at the back of the shops and then a gate was put on it .  Mr Canning washed his car in there and it took him all morning ...well it seemed an age.
Dickie what primary school did you go to.  ?I vaguely remember the Maxwells who had the shop at Meadow St.  Was that before Joe and his wife bought it.  He had been a coalman. ? ;)   Was the fruit and veg shop at Hillman St and Hallidays Rd called Mauds?   I used to queue in Gordons bakery , about 2pm,  for the afternoon delivery of bread however it was their sodas and fruit squares that we liked. :swoon:

Dickie

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
Ther was always a gate on the garages in my memory, but yes Mr Canning washed his car in there there was also a water tap for washing cars. Mr Canning drove either a rover or a truimph. And yes remember gordons bakery on hot days they pulled a striped awning down. I remember going to Don's and geting 3d worth of broken biscuits.

Camp coffee with chickory was one of the range.  I played a lot of soccer in the yard at the back of the shops and then a gate was put on it .  Mr Canning washed his car in there and it took him all morning ...well it seemed an age.
Dickie what primary school did you go to.  ?I vaguely remember the Maxwells who had the shop at Meadow St.  Was that before Joe and his wife bought it.  He had been a coalman. ? ;)   Was the fruit and veg shop at Hillman St and Hallidays Rd called Mauds?   I used to queue in Gordons bakery , about 2pm,  for the afternoon delivery of bread however it was their sodas and fruit squares that we liked. :swoon:

jillyfred

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
Does anyone remember a shop in Spamount Street late 1960`s
early 1970`s -think people called Brennan ran it?
jillyfred

marjul3

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 02:26:11 AM »
[i see his wife regularly i will pass on details of website etc.

quote author=muckermcd link=topic=32185.msg734523#msg734523 date=1285544565]
Hi There Dickie

Thanks
Mucker

f uf
[/i]

kevben

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
saw jim the other day he lives two doors from my sister on nlr i think its number 170 if i see him again i,ll tell him to look you up on the forum

buttercup

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
My relations lived in 122 Spamont  street , the Mallons, funny you should mention the Mc Greevys,I work in a hospital here in Vancouver and I met Michael Mc Greevy last week .

Dickie

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »
llo buttercup,

I see geraldine regular I know her husband Roy. The Mc Greevy's I spoke of were Jim and Harry. There was another family who had a Mickey had brothers called Lenny and Ginger.

My relations lived in 122 Spamont  street , the Mallons, funny you should mention the Mc Greevys,I work in a hospital here in Vancouver and I met Michael Mc Greevy last week .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy