Author Topic: Lower end of Spamount Street  (Read 52180 times)

kevben

Re: Lower end of Spamount Street
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
lenny was  doing a bit of sparking for newington housing,before mascott took over the contract for their maintenance work

Alby

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:18 AM »
hi  Proguesman, you talked about mulcaughys butchers that was between Greenmount and Lewis sts ,if it was when I was a wee nipper I live in Lewis st ,mid40s to 1950 with my mothers family her name was Lizzy Green, Mulcaughys was our local butcher , I was only about 3maybe 4 at thetime but THE BUTCHER use to put me on there dogs back ,I think the dogs name was PEGGIE. I use to have friend in Spammount st called Jim Spence , and Bill Hamill from Hillman st just at the stumps, cheers Alby.

Daisy Meadows

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
My father was born at number 46 Spamount Street in 1916. I have been meaning to visit there and see where he was born. :smile:

johnmc

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
 :hi: Hello Daisy   I can save you a trip ! Spamount St no longer exists as such. I was born in 111 and all those houses are gone    Kind regards    Johnmc

Daisy Meadows

Re: parts of Spamount Street gone
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
Thank you Johnmc. I'm sorry to hear that part of the Spamount Street no longer exists. I shall have to find some old photos then.
I have so little on my dad's early years. Guess I left it too late to go searching.

muckermcd

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
saw jim the other day he lives two doors from my sister on nlr i think its number 170 if i see him again i,ll tell him to look you up on the forum
Hi Kevben if you do see him please give him my email address  [email protected] it would be great if i could catch up with him.
Many Thanks 
Micky McDonnell

kevben

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
will do micky as soon as i see him or i,ll leave it with my sister ok m8

geraldine williamson

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Hi there Kevben,  read your reply again...you did a bit of sparking for a housing estate you say.  Well now, tell me what I did wrong here.

Mt light on the back bedroom ceiling was shorting, coming on and off, so I went to B&Q and bought a complete ceiling fitment, and as per the internet my son and I fitted it to the ceiling, put the economy bulb in and the shade and switched on the light.  It didn't work.  Got an electrician in and he said it was the pull switch at the side of the wall, so he "mended it" but it worked for a day and then blanked us again.  With your knowledge what do you think is happening, our house is detached and built 1959 and we are only the 2nd family here (only one son and me left I might add, the rest of the family are abroad).  Cheers GW.

apalachie

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 01:24:49 AM »
Hi there Kevben,  read your reply again...you did a bit of sparking for a housing estate you say.  Well now, tell me what I did wrong here.

Mt light on the back bedroom ceiling was shorting, coming on and off, so I went to B&Q and bought a complete ceiling fitment, and as per the internet my son and I fitted it to the ceiling, put the economy bulb in and the shade and switched on the light.  It didn't work.  Got an electrician in and he said it was the pull switch at the side of the wall, so he "mended it" but it worked for a day and then blanked us again.  With your knowledge what do you think is happening, our house is detached and built 1959 and we are only the 2nd family here (only one son and me left I might add, the rest of the family are abroad).  Cheers GW.
Hi, GW, First of all did you tell the spark that you and your paris bun fitted the ceiling rose because your not allowed to (regulations) and secondly, after you employed the spark and everything was working and the bulb blew(I guess) did you try another bulb, if you try another bulb that you know is working and it doesn,t  light, some of your connections in the ceiling rose may not be tightened right, but I again tell you you are not allowed (regulations) to fix any electrical work yourself unless you are approved( and we are not talking  school here), by the way I am just in from my quiz night (which we won) so I am slightly inebriated here
and not thinking clearly so try a new bulb first of all failing that you need a new switch which should have been fitted in the first place.
                                                                     Slan for now ,Apalachie, :smile:
Oh for all our yesterdays.

Burnsy

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 01:31:28 AM »

Geraldine,

It sounds to me like you need a new switch. It is not a good idea to "mend" switches that are 51 years old :smile:
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

Sally Ann

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 03:47:48 AM »

GW!  Wait till I tell ya!  We got a new light fitting for our scullery, and I swear, the bloody bulbs lasted about 1 week!  We replaced them, and honestly, they never last a crack!  I blame it on the Government! If ye ask me! ;)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

apalachie

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »

GW!  Wait till I tell ya!  We got a new light fitting for our scullery, and I swear, the bloody bulbs lasted about 1 week!  We replaced them, and honestly, they never last a crack!  I blame it on the Government! If ye ask me! ;)
           Hi Sally Ann, are you using the right wattage of bulbs as to many on the one fitting will cause them to constantly blow, by the way I love that word SCULLERY. :smile:
                                                                                  Slan, Apalachie.

Burnsy

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
           Hi Sally Ann, are you using the right wattage of bulbs as to many on the one fitting will cause them to constantly blow, by the way I love that word SCULLERY. :smile:
                                                                                  Slan, Apalachie.

Are you a plasterer? :D
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

apalachie

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »

Are you a plasterer? :D
             Hi Burnsy, no but I was last night when answering those questions :D .
                                                                                     Slan for now, Apalachie.

Burnsy

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
 ;)
             Hi Burnsy, no but I was last night when answering those questions :D .
                                                                                     Slan for now, Apalachie.

:good: :D

Good honest answer, so yer from North Belfast

It's Nice to be Nice.!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy