Author Topic: New Lodge Road Chippie  (Read 14833 times)

geraldine williamson

New Lodge Road Chippie
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
 :smile: ;)   Does anbody remember the chip-shop on the New Lodge Rd?  We used to get our fish and chips from them in the 50's.  I think they also sold Italian ice-cream with sasbarella (is this right spelling, it was red raspberry sauce) what a treat!  We used to eat the half of them on the way back to Trainfield St where we lived and my mother used to be raging!!  GW.

Tink

Re: New Lodge Road Chippie
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Are you thinking of Mannys ?

Squinter

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
Been living in newlodge for 20 odd years, so prolly way before my time, only chippie i knew of on the new lodge road itself was Tucker Kelly's

geraldine williamson

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Hi there Tink. Yes, Manny's was the name.  You have a good memory.  There were a lot of wee shops on the other side of the New Lodge Rd.  Did you know anyon e from Burlington St thereabouts?  The Burn s family, Jean and Alec, father was a seaman.  GW

St.Anthony

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
Manny's is on the Antrim Road.  Are you sure it wasn't Morelli's?

geraldine williamson

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
 ;) ;)   Hi there StAnthony, you're right again, the New Lodge  chippie was Moreillis and the one on the Antrim Road where we used to go after cycling to and from Carrickfergus (if you please) was Manny's.  My sis used to drink thvinegar out of the bottle, if anybody had seen us we would have been shown the door!!  GW

Tink

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
Manny's is the one I know. and I was in it a few weeks ago and the fish and chips are still as nice ,my Auntie lived over that way May Connelly not to sure where thou

geraldine williamson

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
Hi tink, do you still live in Belfast, or were you visiting?  Just nosey, me!  GW

Tink

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
I live in Craigavon about 25 miles out side Belfast and go down some times shopping but if I get the chance I always try to get to Manny's

Tink

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
Been living in newlodge for 20 odd years, so prolly way before my time, only chippie i knew of on the new lodge road itself was Tucker Kelly's

Peter Kelly is my brotherinlaw he still has a chippe up the Shaw's road. he is not to well at the moment

Sheila A

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
;) ;)   Hi there StAnthony, you're right again, the New Lodge  chippie was Moreillis and the one on the Antrim Road where we used to go after cycling to and from Carrickfergus (if you please) was Manny's.  My sis used to drink thvinegar out of the bottle, if anybody had seen us we would have been shown the door!!  GW

Morellis was at the corner of the New Lodge and Arlington Street and as far as I know they were in the ice cream business.....don't remember them having a chip shop  :scratch_ones_head: I do remember the chip shop on the Lodge before it was Tuckers...it was across from Burlington Street....can't remember the name of it though.... :scratch_ones_head:
Sheila A :)

johnmc

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
SHEILA A   The Morelli,s owned the ice cream shop alright but we always knew it as Nucci,s . Would that be right?

St.Anthony

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm not sure if memory is playing tricks with me.  Nu-luuk was a laundrette but did they also have a chippie next door, same name.  It was where the taxi depot and offlicence is now.

kevben

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
john mc your the oul lad morelli was called romanuccio and it was shortened to nucci

playford

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
Manny's is the one I know. and I was in it a few weeks ago and the fish and chips are still as nice ,my Auntie lived over that way May Connelly not to sure where thou

I walked past mannys by accident on friday night. Was enroute to the st malachys past pupils club for a birthday do? never been there before, mind you out of all of belfast I really know north the least well.