Author Topic: belfast sayings, do you know any  (Read 275396 times)

harrydunn

Re: belfast sayings, do you know any
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
way er lat with ye

geraldine williamson

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
One my mother used to tell her friends, my father was always ill suffered from heart trouble, she would say "you know I didn't marry a man, I married a medicine bottle" - God love her she was always running for prescriptions! 

Another one of her sayings, if you asked for something to eat she'd say "I'll give you a lump of your death" - GW

sean d

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
If my mum was going out and we asked where she was going she would reply.  I,m away to bullheck to buy buttermilk !
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

justluvbeingme

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
If my mum was going out and we asked where she was going she would reply.  I,m away to bullheck to buy buttermilk !

you were lucky sean d. my ma used to sneak out the back door, an not say anything,
jus

RobRoy

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
If you asked "where did you get that"? Answer "the cat layed it".

Desmond Harris

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Your all giving me the head staggers!!!!

geraldine williamson

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
Whatever my ole mother told me, I always believed until one day I heard her tell a neighbour "ah, our wee Gerry's very gullable, she'd believe horses balls were malteezers - was more careful about what she told me in future!  GW

Desmond Harris

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
My Grandfather used to say " If ya dont work your jaws wont either!!!".
 Or as kids we'd say "Your heads a marlley and your bums a buller !!!".
One thing that was brought to my attention when I came here to Australia was how we in Belfast would put "so it was " , or " so it is ", after finishing a statement of a fact or just anything ,so we did.

mgwalsh55

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:41 PM »
while my ma and her chum didnt want me to know what they were talking about they would say shush walls have ears hehe i just hid behind the living room door and heard everything, pity i didnt learn anything. ;)

btheboot

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 12:32:13 AM »
git away ta hells gates,as in billy, git away ta hells gates outa there

Tobergillst Girl

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »
git away ta hells gates,as in billy, git away ta hells gates outa there
                   oh id forgotten about that one. but now i can remember it . my mum and dad both used to say that    "get away to hell with ye"

Tobergillst Girl

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
my dad did use "real" swear words but what i remember most from when i was small was    "flip me pink". while im here my dad was in his fifties when i was born so i loved all the old stories. best one was when my dad was really young and the strreet bully had him TORTURED one day he was sitting on his doorstep watching this bigger boy and then went inside and thought whatcan i do?  well his answer was to take one of his mums hat pins and go outside again and wait.... well the opportunity came when the bully bent over to pick up his marlies ...my wee skinny dad then charged and shoved the hatpin into his bum....laughed at the howls and then ran in and locked the "big" door.   i know a chargeable offence these days but it still makes me really laugh when i remember my dad telling me that story. my dad said best thing was after that he could play out and not be worried. "stuck my skinny wee chest out and laughed at him"  priceless!!!!

Tobergillst Girl

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 01:05:27 AM »
my mum     "your bums beef and youve never tasted it"   ????????

doare.

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
what about, when u asked your parents where they were going, "im away to see a man about a dog" or another one when we threw a crust away, "you'll folly a crow for that one day" my mother came from tyrone so we had an interesting mix, "you'll laugh on the other side of your face, when i catch ye wee lad" a belfast one. :D
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

syriana

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
Talking to small talkative children my Grandmother would say to them, "Yer a blether and the ducks will get ye!"  I could never work that one out.  Grandfather was fond of saying, "Ye'll never know yer alive until yer dead".
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.