Author Topic: Mammy's Shin Soup Recipe Anyone??  (Read 27766 times)

pipistrollers

Mammy's Shin Soup Recipe Anyone??
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been away from home for almost 30 years and am desperate to find a recipe I grew up with at home.

Mammy used to make shin soup every Monday in the winter and we all loved it.  I'm sick with flu and have a taste in my mouth that only soup will help but can't remember how to make it.

I know it was beef shin, I think dried soup mix, I used to be sent to the greengrocer to ask for soup vegetables which were wrapped in the Belfast Telegraph but I dont know what vegetables they were.  Also, spuds were put into the soup just before it was ready.  I remember the soup was a nice vegetable green colour.

Please if anyone knows how to make it can you help, I'm desperate.

IRISHDIVA

Re: Mammy's Shin Soup Recipe Anyone??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
What was wrapped up in the newspaper was.

One large parsnip.
two carrots
a small bunch of curly parsley
one large leek
some soup celery ( I don't think that this was celery  but that is what they called it, It might have been like a flat leaf parsley or what they call here in Canada Italian parsley. Now I just chop up a few stalks of regular table celery and also add some of the chopper celery leaves.

You can change the amount of what you put in, also the soup mix at home only had, barley, red lentils, split green peas in it. I do not use the mixed soup mix as here in Canada as it also has red kidney beans in it so that is not in my soup.

Hope this helps.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

tboy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
there is only one place that still grows proper soup celery ( and that is what you are craving) a farmer in co.down is the man :smile: it is available everywhere in northern ireland even sainsburys.

[email protected]

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »
There is a very good fruit and veg shop beside Tescos in Dunmurry you will get everything for your soup in that shop also a few doors from the fruit and veg shop there is a good buchers shop were you can get your meat for the soup, are you can go to Clarks on the Lower Springfield are Stevensons in the middle of the shankill Road                                         
Hi Everyone,

I've been away from home for almost 30 years and am desperate to find a recipe I grew up with at home.

Mammy used to make shin soup every Monday in the winter and we all loved it.  I'm sick with flu and have a taste in my mouth that only soup will help but can't remember how to make it.

I know it was beef shin, I think dried soup mix, I used to be sent to the greengrocer to ask for soup vegetables which were wrapped in the Belfast Telegraph but I dont know what vegetables they were.  Also, spuds were put into the soup just before it was ready.  I remember the soup was a nice vegetable green colour.

Please if anyone knows how to make it can you help, I'm desperate.

Val

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:24 PM »
Just made to big pots of soup today. I used the bones of the turkey to make the stock first, then I strained it  and added all the vegetables and soup mix.  When it is cooled down I put it in containers and freeze it. Great on a Canadian Winter night with a few potatoes on the side.

:nyam:

joan828

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 04:12:37 AM »
Hello,  I'm from Boston, MA.  I was looking for a shin bone soup recipe like
my mother and grandmother made and came across this forum.   My grandmother was born outside of London and was adopted to New Brunswick, CA where by mother was born.  Anyway, they made shinbone soup with soup bones, turnip, potatoes and dumplings.  The dumplings were made from bisquick.  They also added shredded cabbage to the soup.  I loved it and I was just searching the 'net to see if I could duplicate the recipe since I am off work for the next week.   I think I can duplicate it now since I've seen so many other versions online.  The basic recipe would be fry or roast the bones so they brown, put them in a pot, add water, and simmer for 4 to 5 hours.  Skim the fat, add the vegetables, carrots, turnip, potatoes,  and simmer until they are done, add the shredded cabbage and dumplings.  Cook until done.  The dumplings can be "fluffy" or just put into the soup to cook until they are kind of like pasta, the way I like them.  I hope this helps.  J.

joan828

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
Also, I forgot, the would take the beef off the bones after cooking and add them back to the soup, also they would add beef from the store/butcher cut for stew.  I think they added the beef when they were cooking the bones so the beef would be tender enough to cut with a fork.  I read the other posts, I'm not sure if they added parsnips, though I know my mother loved them.  Maybe they did and I thought they were potatoes!

tboy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
Also, I forgot, the would take the beef off the bones after cooking and add them back to the soup, also they would add beef from the store/butcher cut for stew.  I think they added the beef when they were cooking the bones so the beef would be tender enough to cut with a fork.  I read the other posts, I'm not sure if they added parsnips, though I know my mother loved them.  Maybe they did and I thought they were potatoes!
i wonder where she got these bones with beef on in belfast :smile:

joan828

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:45:04 AM »
I'll be sure to ask my Nana the next time I see her ghost. :smile:   Yes, I'm from Boston, MA will LOTS of ancestors from Belfast.  Like the song says My father he was orange and me mother she was green.  That's why they ended up in Boston.  :D   Anyway, anyone got a better recipe?

geraldine williamson

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »
Hi there Joan, Nice one, my father he was orange and me mother she was green, have been living it for years!!

My father was orange from Loughgall,Portadown area and mam was from good ole Newry Co Down.  They had to get away when they married, not far though only to Belfast which was worse.  Father died at 42, families on both sides didn't want to know.  We grew up never knowing aunts or uncles etc on either side.

My son recently tracked down a sister of my fathers called Eva, she is in her 90's and the image of myself, I was 2nd daughter of my father.  Life sure as hell gies you some knockc...but we overed them all TG.  GW

mgwalsh55

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
He He, my wee ma who came from the green side of the divide used to say to my wee da {who came from
the other side of the pond} when they had a wee falling out,  ah give my head peace your balls are beef. ;)
Havent heard that saying since he he I know its got nothing to do with soup it was the beef thing nostalgia i think
its called. :smile:

toadstool999

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
Chicken stock, water, leeks, carrots, onions, barley (a handfull), dried peas/lentils, shin with meat attached, black pepper plus any leftover mashed potatoes etc. for good measure. Bring it all to the boil and then simmer it for a long time (hours). let it cool and stick it in the fridge overnight.
It's always better the second day.
Sometimes I throw in a couple of chicken stock cubes. Oh, a friend taught me this - a dash of chili powder, not much now, about 1/4 of a teaspoon. Awesome!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tboy

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
never put onions or pearl barley in beef stew , too slimey after a day ;)

buttercup

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:47:49 PM »
Tboy , who puts Barley in Beef Stew are you nuts.!!!!! :girl_blum:

mgwalsh55

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »
Of course he is nuts,why would anyone want to look like Dean Martin, ?sorry T boy but David Essex is better looking than old Deano ha ha :air_kiss:  we kiss 4 you anyway love you :air_kiss:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy