Author Topic: Mammy's Shin Soup Recipe Anyone??  (Read 27767 times)

tboy

Re: Mammy's Shin Soup Recipe Anyone??
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
If one puts mashed potato into a soup it becomes a stew, even if the beef is only from a cube :smile: .   David who? :unsure:

sydenhambetty

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:58:46 AM »
David who? :D  I guess I must be in the same league as tboy.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

robyjoe

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
hi, my mammy god rest her, made her beef shin soup the country way

boil shin and red lentils for a gud hour in seasoned water then add chopped parsnips and carrots boil for a further 45 mins the soup should be nice yellow colour and beef should fall off bone
   the beef is lovely with rooster spuds ... bring back the the gud old days ;)

Bigali

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »
Made a pot of shin soup yesterday , boiled/simmered the shin in seasoned water with Buchanans soup mix for about an hour then added onion , leek, carrot , parsley and dried marrow fat peas which I soaked overnight on Friday night , had a bowl yesterday tea time which was okay , today at tea time it was perfect after sitting for twenty four hours , oh yes and a couple of slices of thickly buttered Nutty Krust plain loaf to dip in  :nyam:
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

McNamee

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »
What I wouldn't give for a big bowl of that now Bigali. .I would have it with Belfast Bap...lovely....I can just taste it. O0

Bigali

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
What I wouldn't give for a big bowl of that now Bigali. .I would have it with Belfast Bap...lovely....I can just taste it. O0

Even though I say it myself Mc Namee it was good , it's the only one of my Mothers recipes that I can seem to get right , the others like savoury mince , sausage casserole , braised steak and onions etc are fine but they are not hers , the shin or as my Father called it , the haugh fell off the bone .

Just a point , I remember going to the butchers with my Dad and him asking for a haugh for soup , it was a long bone with lots of meat attached , probably an elongated version of the shin we are talking about , after it was finished in the soup the dog got it .

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 07:04:55 AM »
A drap of soup it's easy to make   Soak your soup mix overnight fast boil for ten minutes then lower the heat add your shin salt pepper and cook for about an hour to cook meat then add your veg which is parsnip carrot leeks simmer til the veg is cooked add chopped Curley leaf parsley at the end of cooking if you can't get soup mix it's whole dried peas split peas lentils n barley   Don't be using an oul fowl  :D too greasy   Oh and make your own wheaten it's easy  :-*
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Cynth

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Iv just been researching the very same thing because my soup never has good flavor and I’m fed up with packets
So I’m off to buy fresh loose soup veg. Leeks soup celery carrot parsley  and add in the big peas my mother made it with shin and skimmed the fat off and potatoes and a big floury potatoe on the side with butter

geraldine williamson

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »
Iv just been researching the very same thing because my soup never has good flavor and I’m fed up with packets
So I’m off to buy fresh loose soup veg. Leeks soup celery carrot parsley  and add in the big peas my mother made it with shin and skimmed the fat off and potatoes and a big floury potatoe on the side with butter
[/quote
Yes indeed!  You know what you're talkin' about here!!!  We enjoyed a hot bowl of soup in Belfast during the colder weather i.e. 1947 was a bad one as I recall.  Gerry Coventry UK. :) :)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 07:33:44 AM »
I'll be sure to ask my Nana the next time I see her ghost. :)   Yes, I'm from Boston, MA will LOTS of ancestors from Belfast.  Like the song says My father he was orange and me mother she was green.  That's why they ended up in Boston.  :D   Anyway, anyone got a better recipe?
Same here darlin but me Mamma and Dad stayed it out in Belfast, after he died 1950 she came to  Country to live with us Go Rest them Both....Gerry in Coventry

Slippytit

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »
I made a big pot last week but used a chicken. 😋😋. I don't know how to put a picture on here.

toadstool999

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 07:44:08 PM »
I made a big pot last week but used a chicken. 😋😋. I don't know how to put a picture on here.

Wouldn't be much meat on chicken shins.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 07:59:51 PM »
you’ve  e more chance of winning the lotto than putting a picture in here  :)  as for the soup I do prefer shin my family loves  my soup which I make quite often  ;)
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Slippytit

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
🤪🤓 You're a geg Toadstool. I suppose I should have found a chicken soup thread 😂😂

Bigali

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
I cud just go a big boul of my Mammys shin broth  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy