Author Topic: Any Ballygo former pupils out there.  (Read 33302 times)

sonofshanks

Re: Any Ballygo former pupils out there.
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

Ballygo Juniors 1964/65. Teachers, Big Ears Chuck and Mr. Coffey. Harry Chivers with ball. Know anymore ?
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

stevieboy

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

Ballygo Juniors 1964/65. Teachers, Big Ears Chuck and Mr. Coffey. Harry Chivers with ball. Know anymore ?
Back row L-R               Chuck, ?, Lenny Murphy, Gordon Pulford, ?, Joe Coffey.
Middle row:                 Dennis Carlisle, ?, Sam Brown, ?, McCracken, John Morrow, Robin Mullan.
Front row:                  ?, Osbourne, Harry Chivers, Davie Sales, Ken Rossen.

stevieboy

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »

Seniors / Colts 1966? How many do you know? Teachers are L-R, Crooks, Big Ears Chuck, Wee Willie Woodentop. Goalkeeps are L-R Harry Chivers & Davy Sales.
Back Row:    Johnny Crooks, Ken Rossen, Chuck, ?, Wee Woodworm.
Middle Row:  ?, ?, Tom Finney, Harry Chivers, Davie Sales, Lenny Murphy, Albert Finney, ?.
Front Row:   ?, ?, Geordie Young, Jimmy Brown, ?, ?, ?, ?.

Hendy

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
Lenny Murphy went to Argyle Primary then on to the Boys Model.

stevieboy

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
Lenny Murphy went to Argyle Primary then on to the Boys Model.

The guy in the photo is Lenny Murphy, but not THAT Lenny Murphy.

Hendy

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
The guy in the photo is Lenny Murphy, but not THAT Lenny Murphy.
Are you sure about Tom Finney as well, he was in my year and played alongside Drew Harris (Man U) Alan Suggars, Joe McFerran and a few other good players. I met Tom about 10 years ago, I coached a semi pro side called Maldon Town and we were drawn against  Cambridge City in the FA Cup qualifying stages, he was on City's coaching staff.
Tom and Drew went to Man Utd for trails, they wanted both but Tom came back and signed for Distillery.

stevieboy

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
Are you sure about Tom Finney as well, he was in my year and played alongside Drew Harris (Man U) Alan Suggars, Joe McFerran and a few other good players. I met Tom about 10 years ago, I coached a semi pro side called Maldon Town and we were drawn against  Cambridge City in the FA Cup qualifying stages, he was on City's coaching staff.
Tom and Drew went to Man Utd for trails, they wanted both but Tom came back and signed for Distillery.
Yes, Hendy, definitely is Tom. My elder brother and I grew up with both Tom & Albert. The photo is something of a hybrid as it contains Seniors, Colts and others. Jimmy Brown (with ball, ex. Linfield) would be the eldest in photo and would probably be 3 years ahead of some of the younger ones in the photo. Joe McFerran, Drew Harris, Tom Finney, Phil Suggars and yourself, would have been a year ahead of me.
If you go to 99th Boys Brigade topic on page 1 of this forum there is a football team photo with Jim Harris (Drew's brother) and Joe McFerran in it. Sadly I believe Joe passed away a while back.

Hendy

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Joes alive and well

Hendy

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Yes, Hendy, definitely is Tom. My elder brother and I grew up with both Tom & Albert. The photo is something of a hybrid as it contains Seniors, Colts and others. Jimmy Brown (with ball, ex. Linfield) would be the eldest in photo and would probably be 3 years ahead of some of the younger ones in the photo. Joe McFerran, Drew Harris, Tom Finney, Phil Suggars and yourself, would have been a year ahead of me.
If you go to 99th Boys Brigade topic on page 1 of this forum there is a football team photo with Jim Harris (Drew's brother) and Joe McFerran in it. Sadly I believe Joe passed away a while back.
I remember Albert well, we used to have a few swallies together when he lived in Mayo St, according to Tom the swallie took over with him. I also knew Jim back then but he disappeared from the scene for a few years, there was also an older brother George.

sonofshanks

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
I went to Ballygo when it first opened, Caldwell was the headmaster, Palmer,Wilson, (math/english) Peyton (music) Armstrong (gym) Davidson(metalwork/woodwork) Wilkinson (science) .   and my favourite Logan (history/geography)you are right Hendy a real gent who cared about  us and tried to actually teach without looking down on the rabble from the road.
Wee Bill Logan, was my form teacher in 1965 (1G2), he was a real gent who took a great interest in pupils. He suffered from a dodgy ticker and would reluctantly send misbehaving pupils to his great mate `Barney` Ruddle, who could certainly swing a cane.
He retired at the end of that year, I think and I can recall a collection being taken up around the school for a retirement gift, which was a large transistor radio. A special assembly was put on for him one afternoon, at which the school orchestra played (badly as I recall, much to the frustration of musical director and sadist `Mozart` ) The choir sang a special version of `Auld Lang Syne`, with the words changed eg, `Will ye no come back again`? was substituted for `Will wee Logie no come back again`?
It was all too much for the wee man, as he sat on an armchair on stage and visibly wept during the ceremony. It was a pleasure to have been taught by him, even though he sent me to see `Barney` for being caught on the `beak`.

sonofshanks

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
Lived close and attended Ballygo from 68 to 74.
Remember Beatnik whose leg lifted every time in unison with the upward motion of the cane,  Billy Williamson, football coach and the wee big man who offered all the hard nuts a fair dig, even though he was 5 foot nothing,  Rev Cooke who could swing a cane better than any known man,
What was the name of the two cottages the school had before Ardaluan
Wee `Beatnick` was an eejit if there ever was one. The number of times he was `chinned` is legend in Ballygo history.
The only `wee big man`I can recall, who offered pupils a fair dig was, wee Ivan Redpath who fancied himself as a bit of a boy, but I suspect it was all in his mind.

jimbov

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 10:35:45 AM »
1968 1st year Ed King,Thomas Dunn, Tommy Tinsley, John Aiken, John Flack,Thomas Andrews,Stephen Logue,
Robert Mckinley,Jim Verner,Tommy Cowen,John McCoubery,Philip Harris,Stevie Hollyoak,Davy Carlisle,Paul Mearns
Geordie Brown,Davy Close,Billy McQuisten,Joe Keenen,David McAnenny,Davy McCullough,Billy Walker,Danny Waugh
,Jim Massey,Pedlow,McCann,,Hardy, Goerdie Mitchell,Robert Beck,Robert Taylor,Jim Young,(Hammy) Hamilton,
David Baird,George Morrow,Jim Dixon,Glen McCormick. Sorry if I have forgotten some forenames,other names or incorrect spelling. Maybe I should have stayed in school instead of on the beak . ;)
"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

jimbov

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Sonofshanks  I THINK the other house was called Gortin ? I can't be sure but for some reason that name
is stuck in my head.

"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

sonofshanks

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

The Old School, better known as Stalag luft 19. (I escaped from the Gestapo after 4 years.)

jimbov

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
1968 to 1972 Ed King,Thomas Dunn, Tommy Tinsley, John Aiken, John Flack,Thomas Andrews,Stephen Logue,
Robert Mckinley,Jim Verner,Tommy Cowen,Bill Kirk,John McCoubery,Philip Harris,Stevie Hollyoak,Davy Carlisle,
Paul Mearns,Geordie Brown,Davy Close,Billy McQuisten,Joe Keenen,David McAnenny,Davy McCullough,
Billy Walker,Danny Waugh,Jim Massey,Pedlow,McCann,,Hardy, Goerdie Mitchell,Robert Beck,Robert Taylor,
Jim Young,Harry Swindle,Stephen(Hammy) Hamilton,Jackie Bothwell,Davy Rea,Harry Dodds,Robert Wright,
Billy (spit) Wilson,Robert Wilson,David Baird,George Morrow,Jim Dixon,Glen McCormick. Joe Gordon,
Billy Godden, Paul Henderson,Malcom Murray,Paul Dougles
Sorry if I have forgotten some forenames,surnames or incorrect spelling or forenames wrong.
You'll Never Walk Alone