Author Topic: Any Ballygo former pupils out there.  (Read 34154 times)

stewie

Re: Any Ballygo former pupils out there.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

No Stewie
Marc Boland, used to do a bit of singing.
Probably before your time.  :D
my Granda told me about him :)

breenbox

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
my Granda told me about him :smile:

You must be a lot longer than you look Stewie  :D

You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

stewie

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »

You must be a lot longer than you look Stewie  :D
im only 18 ::) ::)

Hendy

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »
Mr Armstrong "Cheyenne" the science teacher and football coach, passed away last year.

william232

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
Hi, William Corbett here went to Ballygomartin from 64-69. I was too short in stature to enjoy the experience. Vaguely remember Hendy cannot for the life of me put a face to the name or even a class. I was in the G1 stream somebody obviously made a mistake O Levels turned out to be a disaster, even failed woodwork. Noticed a Borland ( sorry just checked I cannot even read properly it was Boland )in the posting, had a friend called Eddie Borland sadly died in form 3 or 4. We played hockey together. For form 1 I had Harry Wilson ( I think that was his name) as form teacher. Live in Bangor now, a former Ballygomartin teacher who started in about 1967 lives in the next street. Cannot remember his name either. Went to a Ballygomartins old boys night out, no one from my year attended but did recognise a few of the faces from the year above but none of their names. A few of the teachers attended too. Only remember a few of the teachers from my time Ruddle maths, McIntire tech drawing, Cheyenne of course and Wilkinson. Still can smell the science classes even now as I think about them.

Hendy

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
Hi, William Corbett here went to Ballygomartin from 64-69. I was too short in stature to enjoy the experience. Vaguely remember Hendy cannot for the life of me put a face to the name or even a class. I was in the G1 stream somebody obviously made a mistake O Levels turned out to be a disaster, even failed woodwork. Noticed a Borland ( sorry just checked I cannot even read properly it was Boland )in the posting, had a friend called Eddie Borland sadly died in form 3 or 4. We played hockey together. For form 1 I had Harry Wilson ( I think that was his name) as form teacher. Live in Bangor now, a former Ballygomartin teacher who started in about 1967 lives in the next street. Cannot remember his name either. Went to a Ballygomartins old boys night out, no one from my year attended but did recognise a few of the faces from the year above but none of their names. A few of the teachers attended too. Only remember a few of the teachers from my time Ruddle maths, McIntire tech drawing, Cheyenne of course and Wilkinson. Still can smell the science classes even now as I think about them.
Hi William, we were together in 1P which was Harry Wilsons class, I could have sworn that you were in the G2 stream throughout Ballygo with me.
I recall you as being a great Cross Country runner even though your legs were shorter than mine I could never keep up with you.
We were also together in Argyle Primary, I recall you saying that you were going to get up and leave the class without asking McCombs permission, you did and I couldn't believe my eyes, it wasn't until some time later that I found out you had a problem with your kidneys!
Have a look on friends reunited, there is quite a few names that you would remember on there.

william232

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »
Hi, Hendy no I was definately in G1 stream, you obviously knew how thick I was and supposed that they put me in G2 or lower. Thanks for remembering my running, notice my username it tells you I ran a marthon in 2hours 32 minutes not bad but of course not great. Oh and it helped me to know you could not fully remember those days either. I suppose one or both of us is knocking on. If you are posting again please tell the street you lived in, that will give me a better idea of our connection, I of course lived in both Urney Street and Argyle Street. Argyle School be careful in case you start another subject on the board. You also noted my propensity for toileting, 20 times a day or so for the past 50 years or more is to tell you the truth something I wish I could forget. A number of Ballygomartin teachers did not help my blood pressure when they curbed my need in this area.The geography teach McIlroy I think has a lot to answer for. Though I will force myself to let the matter go after all there has been a lot of water passed under the bridge since then. I remembered a few extra names today of some pupils. Joe Cairns, Bill Donald, Billy Hastings, Billy Henderson ?, Robert Dyres, Billy Huston and Robert Morrow.

Hendy

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »
William I have cut and pasted this from Friends Re-united, so I think my old memory cells aren't to bad ;) I have also deleted some info from it as well.

Started off school at Charters memorial, then to Argyle St Primary.

Pupils from Argyle & Charters.
9/01/09 JUST REMEMBERED ROGER ABROL WHO WAS AN ASIAN LAD .
Wlliam McCausland (moved to Brown SQ Primary, William died 10 years ago in England aged 45) Miriam Braden, Norman McAdams (Died Jan 08) Margaret Foulke, Dennis Taggart, (Dennis was murdered by the IRA) Margaret Gillespie, Norman Shannon, Eddie McGregor, Dennis Morton, Mavis Gibney, Linda Swindle, Phebie Gates, Barbara Cowan, Joe Smith, Isaac King, Philip Berkley, Geordie Pitman, Trevor Douglas, Molly McAlister Billy Manderson, Ann ------(Lived facing the caretaker's house), Albert Quigg, Florence King, Eleanor Hamill, Bill Thompson,Robert Adair, Eddie McIlwaine, Francis Swain, Jean Gilmore(deceased), Harry Johnson, Alan Paterson, David Rainey John (Beef) McComb Barbara Butler, George Sheridan, Eva Tracey, Harold Monaghan, William Harkness,Gerald McCaig, Robert Massey, Sammy Millar and Norman Hart 11/09/03 Robert Moffat Frank McFarland
These names were remembered by Beef McComb Robert White, Billy Houston & Drew Mulgrew.
Linda Rossborough contacted me asking if I didn't remember her, of course I remember her and her brothers Len and Jim. I'm sure they lived about Wigton St. Sorry for the omission linda but I'm sure you would agree I have done rather well.
Have I missed anyone else?

Went to Ballygo in 64 and Left in 69.
Can anyone remember these pupils, some started off in "1P" in 1964, others were dispersed to G1 the majority stayed in G2 I can't remember if there was a G3 and I think there were H classes.
Jackie Kerr, David McLaughlin, Sam McGaw, Norman Godfrey, Victor Johnson, Peter Black, Bill Taggart, Raymond Press, Beef McComb, Jim Donaldson, Fitzy Fitzgerald, Colin Weldon, Jackie Little, John Hall, Drew Harris, Ivan Martin, john Hamilton, Colin Kirkpatrick, Jackie Madine (Deceased), Bryce Martin (Deceased) Barry McCracken, Thomas Telford, Noel Sedgewick, Sam Sedgewick, Billy Dines, Robert Best,
--- Docherty, Billy Lewis, John Johnston, Roy Clarke, Billy Hazley, Alex Mcwilliams, (Alex's Mate George Baillie, not sure about the surname) Gary Finlay, William Corbet now Rev I am told, Bunter McCrudden, Tony McKittrick, John Nichol, ---- Walker, Bill (Duck) Donald Jim Neil Joe Mcferran Arthur Wibberley Michael Martin Colin Coyle Ken McCabe Thomas Whiteside Thomas Grainger Sammy Redpath Victor Hooks Robert Morrow Roderick McFarland William McClurg Wesley Sterling Jacky Graham.
Thomas Kielty  "LESLIE MAGILL" (added 20/11/08)
Face flashed through my mind, dug deep to put a name to it, I managed Magill. Emailed Drew Harris, John Hamilton & Bill Donald for help with the first name. Bill Donald came back with Leslie within a couple of hours. Leslie if you read this give us a post, well done Bill especially as you are upside down!

Hows that for memory can you fill in the --- or can you add names to the list.
 *Fathers Day 02 walked into an olde worlde Inn in Essex for a Sunday Lunch, bumped into Beef McComb, small world.
Thanks to Joyce (McCullough)Brown in Australia for correcting me with Ducks surname.
Thanks to Drew Harris for filling in the Christian names of David McLaughlin & Bill Taggart
Thanks to John Hamilton in Canada who remembered Wesley Sterling.
Jacky Graham's name came to surface when John Hamilton, John Nicholl and myself met up in Belfast for the first time in nearly 33 years. We had lunch, a few drinks and a good old trip down memory lane.
09 Nov 02 Chatting with Beef McComb and we came up with the name Sammy Millar who used to live in Argyle St and went to School with us, come on Sammy drop us a line.
In the same year was Tom Finney who later went on to play for N Ireland. I used coach a Jewson Premier league side, Maldon Town FC, and I met Tom When we played Cambridge City In the FA Cup a couple of years ago. Tom lives in cambridge, now drives for a living and was on Cambridge City's coaching staff.
Teachers, Harry wilson, Logan (History), Redpath (Maths), Wilkinson (Science), McGucken (Geography) Morrow (Art), Davidson (Metalwork),  McIntyre (Tech Drawing), Keenan (RE), Wilson (PE) Bingham (PE) Boyden? (PE) Wee Willy Wlliamson (Woodwork)
Cheyenne Armstrong (Science) Dornan (collected dog ends) McCormack (Music) Donaldson "Beatnic"(Art) Tedford. Flynn (English) Gibson (Science)
Other Teachers Ruddle, Reid, Jelly Morrow and of course Chuck Caldwell.

william232

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
Hi Hendy, Your memories not good, its absolutely great. I only remember a dozen or so of the names printed but it did stimulate me to remember one or two others. Matthew King, William his brother Urney Street, Norman Kerr Jackies brother Ashmore Street, Goerge Arbothnut Argyle Street all going to Ashmore Street school then to Arglye St school then to Ballygomartin. I do not remember a single girl but then as now I have considerable shyness in that area and a Wife. I will be talking to my sisters Patricia and Emma shortly and they are sure to add some names. Noticing my own entry, not quite a Rev, went to bible college though, am an elder in a small church in Belfast but no Bachelor of Divinity, not clever enough.

Broadbentborn

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
First I have ever heard of  Ballygo reunion. When did this take place? Would have  been good to see the early seventies crowd with all the long hair "long" gone.
What size of turnout was there? I know of at least five past pupils who would be interested.
Great reading about you "ould hand,s " that came before us mere early fifty year olds ::)
Keep them coming Hendy.

bricat

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
quite a few familiar names there

ROGER ABROL.. wilton street shop, hung around with him for a while.
Wlliam McCausland... lived beside you, knew him well and was sorry to hear he had passed away.
Dennis Taggart... he was brought into the mater hospital same day as me 15/8/69
Trevor Douglas...lived in percy st,introduced me to the beatles, and a few other things ;)
Eddie McIlwaine... st saviours youth club, with rita martin, robert young
Thomas Kielty... was in st lukes choir with me, his brother was the organist in st annes cathedral,he was going with
a girl called ann gilmore (northumberland street)

Cheyenne Armstrong big bassa :) played rugby against him in my last year.
Wilkinson stood at the gates directing late comers to chucks office for caning :(
McCormack i was in , silver band, orchestra, wind band, madrigal group, school choir. he was brilliant,
i used to sit in the music store listening to music when i should have been at maths :)

they bring back a few memories. i think you were a year or 2 in front of me i left in 1970.
along with geordie bryans etc.
If i'd known i was goin ta live this long i would've taken better care of meself

macy

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
hi hendy was taking to a friend about this forum he said he went to charters school and has an old school photo about 1958 his name is billy ferris he went on to the model school. dennis taggart eddie mcilwaine are in it still trying to put it up so when done. any help with names  would be greatfull thanks.

macy

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »

macy

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
anyone put names to these guys 1958 charters school thanks.

our bobby

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 11:26:06 PM »
BASKETBALL TEAM, 1960 THE PICTURE IS FROM THE TELEGRAPH SO THE QUALITY IS NOT SO GOOD AFTER 50 YEARS. IF ANYONE CAN FIX IT UP IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
front row l/r
Trevor Boyce, Rodney McCurley, Jim Thompson, Victor Poots
back row l/r
Bobby Glencross, Billy Quail, Tommy Johnston, Wilson McKeown, Dave Megarry

The coach of the team was Ken Armstrong. I do not think you can read it but we won the N.I. secondary school championship, beat Everton in the final.