Author Topic: Family name "Turtle"  (Read 1849 times)

Carruthers

Family name "Turtle"
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:25:59 AM »
Not sure if anyone can help me validate a family name in my tree. I am looking to see if any of you see the same links in my tree as I do.
Family name is Turtle. It was used as my great Uncle's First name; Turtle Boyd-born in 1901 in Belfast. If my facts are correct he was named after his grandmother: Jane Turtle, born in 1846 to William John Turtle and Margaret Elizabeth. They are found on the 1851 Census (7 children). They were 39 at the time of the census. This tells me William and Margaret were born in 1812. I searched for William John Turtle-birth records. I found ONE in 1812, born to Joseph and Letitia. I am pretty confident (and excited) that this could be a major branch in my tree.  Sometimes you get to close to the info to think objectively. Any second opinions are appreciated.[/size]

[/size]Geoff 

OTTO

Re: Family name "Turtle"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
Hi Geoff, Ive sent you an email with some info.

OTTO

JimG

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »
Following your thoughts as I interpret them using previous generations last names as first names. That is true in just one case in my family where I was christened exactly as my then living Uncle James Whitla etc. This was all explained later to me as in his honour, as he had been so good to my parents. Back to Turtle.
Turtle’s brother was a John McCracken and a  sister  Alice Kidd  . Are these two last names elsewhere in your family tree
Turtle’s mother was Margeret…XXXXXX born Co Down
Turtles Boyd grandparents were Boyd and ZZZZZ
Turtles Margaret grandparents were  XXXXXX and YYYYYY
Turtle’s father John may have siblings eg BBBBB and CCCCC might be similar using previous generations last names as first names. Or perhaps its runs in the Turtle family, or both.
If most of these are in your family tree you validate everything surely
Which 1851 census and location are you referring too.
Good luck, Jim

JimG

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
Then in 1877 with many thanks to mary's humour in names in LennardWylies Belfast street directory website, living  in Scotch row, Ballymacarett there is a Bourtland Boyd

Giannineo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
There was a Turtle family connected with clergy- Methodist I think- and the former head of Belfast Techical College was a Brian Turtle.

Carruthers

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:15:15 AM »
Jim if I read your post right you have found a few names of interest to me.
-Alice Kidd Boyd, i found my great Aunt Alice Kidd Boyd born in Belfast in 1908
-Her Brother, my great Uncle is Robert McCraken Boyd born in Belfast in 1903
I never met Alice, but I remember my Uncle as he lived here in Canada in the 70's.

The census I found is here:
http://irishgenealogy.net/cp/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=391

the Turtles are as follows.

WILLIAM JOHN TURTLE, 39 (Head) [Married 1837] - FARMER (Antrim) (R/W)
MARGARET ELIZABETH TURTLE, 39 (Wife) [Married 1837] - NONE (Antrim) (R/W)
MARY TURTLE, 12 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - AT SCHOOL (Antrim) (R/W)
MARGARET TURTLE, 10 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - AT SCHOOL (Antrim) (R/W)
ANNA TURTLE, 9 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - AT SCHOOL (Antrim) (R/W)
CATHERINE TURTLE, 7 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - AT SCHOOL (Antrim) (R)
MURIEL TURTLE, 6 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - NONE (Antrim)
JANE TURTLE, 4 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - NONE (Antrim)
ISAAC TURTLE, 2 (Son) [Unmarried] - NONE (Antrim)

JimG

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
wow you are lucky to have one of the missing census remmantsParish: Ballinderry: Townland: Moygarriff: 15 April 1851did you search the same for surname survivors in census 1901 and 1911

jillyfred

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
I knew of a Family called Turtle who lived at Rathkenney which is outside
Ballymena.
They had a Garage,Car and Motorcycle business.Also a Fashion Clothes
Shop and a Spar Grocery Shop.
Their Family Home was there also.
Rathkenney was /is a Townland and all these businesses were on the Road
in the middle of the countryside.
All were there in the 1970`s and 1980`s.
jillyfred

bobdenn

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »

OTTO

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
There is a lane near Moygarriff townland called Kidd's Lane. It runs from the Moira Road to the Chapel Road.I dont know if there is a connection.

OTTO

Carruthers

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 03:17:35 AM »
Hi Otto, nice houses on that lane! Took a virtual stroll thru the lane. Might be a relation to Alice Kidd Boyd"...

I have a question for you experts,,you have been very good to date!

World Ware One vets, I believe my Great Grandfather William Carruthers is a servicemen in the great war.Otto found him in scotland in 1905 then he pops up in Belfast in 1911 for the census. He then disappears,leaves the wife and two boys at home with his mother in law...

We believe he went to war, have any of you successfully found vets? How did u do it?

JimG

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:07:06 AM »
start with the 96 so named are listed  in the WW1 war medals section on www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

arnbeckett

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 10:00:14 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help me validate a family name in my tree. I am looking to see if any of you see the same links in my tree as I do.
Family name is Turtle. It was used as my great Uncle's First name; Turtle Boyd-born in 1901 in Belfast. If my facts are correct he was named after his grandmother: Jane Turtle, born in 1846 to William John Turtle and Margaret Elizabeth. They are found on the 1851 Census (7 children). They were 39 at the time of the census. This tells me William and Margaret were born in 1812. I searched for William John Turtle-birth records. I found ONE in 1812, born to Joseph and Letitia. I am pretty confident (and excited) that this could be a major branch in my tree.  Sometimes you get to close to the info to think objectively. Any second opinions are appreciated.[/size]

[/size]Geoff

Hi sorry to drag up the old post, but i recognised the name Letita Turtle, I have a copy of her fathers will (Richard Thurkild 1830) in which she is mentioned amongst other Turtles if youd be interested in a copy?

Carruthers

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 01:16:20 AM »
Yep I wouldn’t mind a copy