Author Topic: St ANTHONY'S SCHOOL  (Read 2201 times)

proinseas

St ANTHONY'S SCHOOL
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
Who knew Sister Bernadina in the 60's ? I did and often wonder how I survived, but I did and became a primary school teacher myself! Can't have put me off!

doare.

Re: St ANTHONY'S SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
was st anthonys in millfield?
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

proinseas

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:25:22 PM »
No Willowfield.

boxer1949

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:06:45 PM »
was st anthonys in millfield?
Was one there too

sean d

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
one in millfield near top of north st .I never heard of willowfield, where was it?
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

Sally Ann

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »
one in millfield near top of north st .I never heard of willowfield, where was it?

Seand  Think Willowfield was round Woodstock Road area.

I believe it was the school connected to St Antony's RC Church, on or just off My Lady's Road.
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

eros

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
the planners in this town have no heart  ,they let a beautiful building like St Anthony's school be pulled down and the last I saw of the site it was  replaced with a car park 
I have many fond memories of that school ,and if any one has any pics of the school I would to have a copy
                                                                                                                                                         :hi:
Lest we Forget

doare.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »
THE ONE I KNEW IN MILLFIELD, WAS VERY OLD I THINK THEY HAD A PLAYGROUND ON THE FLAT ROOF, IT WAS BEFORE SAMUEL ST.AND ON THE CORNER OF NORTH ST WAS BATTY STORES.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:03:43 AM »
THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD ON ST ANTHONYS SCHOOL IN EAST BELFAST,ST ANTHONY IS VERY POPULAR.LOL

eros

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:58 AM »
doare , indeed our playground was on the roof ,and the school was near North street ,there was a pub right next door. :hi:
Lest we Forget

doare.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
eros i knew people who lived beside the school on millfield itself,i remember the huge iron gate on the front.i worked on millfield for a couple of yrs and lived not far away.there were whitewashed homes there many years ago.

eros

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »
doare, the houses next to the  the other side of Samuel st had to go down a couple of steps to get into their livingroom
so if you were standing in the frontroom looking out you were nearly eye level with the road ,a terrible job when it rained !
Mr O' Brian was the head master when i was there
Lest we Forget

boxer1949

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
doare, the houses next to the  the other side of Samuel st had to go down a couple of steps to get into their livingroom
so if you were standing in the frontroom looking out you were nearly eye level with the road ,a terrible job when it rained !
Mr O' Brian was the head master when i was there
Mr O Brien left in 1960 then Mr Smith took over the year i went to Barney

proinseas

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
I was thinking about the convent school for girls  and separate boys school which is now Rupert Stanley near the police barracks on Woodstock rd. Sr Bernadine was the head when i was there at the girls and Mr Mulhall was the boys.

eros

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
boxer 1949, when I Left O'Brian, O'shea. Mc Fadden ,
McKenna   and Mrs O Doherty (not sure this is spelt right ) they were all there when i left to go to barney's.                                        maybe you had to be an O or a Mc to get a job there. but no matter who was the teacher I still have fond memories
of the old school ,especially with the girls classes down below the boys
Lest we Forget