Author Topic: HOFFMANN Family  (Read 3854 times)

ciotach

HOFFMANN Family
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:47 PM »
Seeking descendants of Friedrich (Frederick) HOFFMANN and Louisa BERGER who emigrated from Bavaria to Belfast in 1888 with their son Frederick born about 1887. Frederick Senior founded the  barber's shop in Belfast which still bears his name, minus the second N.

Three more children were born in Belfast:
William HOFFMANN b 1889, married Margaret Louisa (Daisy) DARRAGH. (My late husband's  line). 
Charles HOFFMANN b abt 1893, married Pearl Melville HANDY; was a dentist; died in England. No idea if there were any children.
Louise HOFFMANN b. abt 1894.

I have been unable to trace the son Frederick and daughter Louisa.

Anthony

Re: HOFFMANN Family
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:10:21 PM »
Hi

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 11:42:04 PM »
Hiya ciotach,

Fred Hoffmann, Lismore, Rosetta Park, Belfast. signed the Ulster Covenant in  Londonderry City Londonderry in 1912 whilst Mrs F. Hoffmann, Lismore, Rosetta Park, Belfast signed at Ballynafeigh Orange Hall, in Belfast

I wonder why Fred signed in Londonderry? Did the family have a shop there too. Anthony would you have a look for Hoffmann in Londonderry please?

All the Best, Christopher

ciotach

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:43:41 AM »
Thank you.  I've already searched the Covenant and Declaration.  There were two Fredericks, father and son, both living at  the same address, with different signatures.  One of the wives ("Mrs. F.") and Daisy Darragh Hoffmann - brand new wife of William - all signed, but strangely enough William did not, nor his brother Charles - too young at 19?   Daisy signed at Carlisle together with her mother. She married on 16 March 1912 in Belfast but surely she did not take her mother on the honeymoon?  ;)

I'd greatly appreciate a search of the Londonderry records.

I know the Belfast 1902 Directory has F. Hoffmann, hairdresser at 13a Castle Place (same as in 1896) and that in 1928 they were at 47 High St.  Another curious thing, the listing for the latter was "Lt. Hoffmann, Court Hairdresser" with the family residence at Lymington.  Could anyone tell me what the Lt. stands for?  Lieutenant?? In what? Or was it simply a typo?

I've also seen a 1902 directory entry for an R. Hoffman at 40 Belmont Avenue - no idea who he was.  I've been unable to find a shipping record for Frederick and Louisa ca 1888 but I do know he spent a short time working in London for Dore and Carle before moving to Belfast.  Again - why? 

I'm so glad Christopher directed me to this site!

Nancy

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 02:13:15 AM »
Hiya Nancy,

Here is R. Hoffman, sausage maker again. He was at 19 Tomb Street in 1880 and listed in the 1880 Directory of Belfast and Province of Ulster. This is the guy at Belmont Avenue. He seem to be doing quyte well for himself unless he opened and closed shops it looks as though he had several shops.

Here's a Francis Hoffman, professor of music, 19 Hume St Dublin He was listed in the Dublin Directory of 1850.

There's a Ludwig Hoffman born about 1834 in Germany. His father was Ludwig.
Junior was in Yorkshire in 1871 http://sh.orty.com/AMSBB8GX

Best Wishes, Christopher

ciotach

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 03:43:51 AM »
Christopher - thanks yet again. I doubt any of those are some of mine as I am fairly certain I've traced my Hoffmanns back to Bavaria and families there.  What I want are more recent family members - it is looking like my daughter is the last Hoffmann of the line.

Nancy

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
Hello Nancy,

I did a search on http://www.192.com for Hoffman in Belfast.
I found several women with the surname Hoffman so there must have been either fathers or husbands on the scene at one time. There were three people with the surname in The Phone Book for Northern Ireland 2003.

I'm PMing their addresses to you.

Best Wishes, Christopher 

ciotach

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 02:13:56 AM »
Thanks again - I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. So many names but none with the right initials.  May I point out though that the family always spelled the name with two N's at the end, it was only the business name which was spelled with one N, possibly due to a  printer's error which was too late to be corrected. 

I'd still love to hear any theories about why it was 'Lt. Hoffmann' in 1928. I suppose it could have been yet another typo, Lt can look like the capital F.

Is this the right forum to ask history questions such as why did a protestant Bavarian family emigrate to Belfast rather than USA? (I am aware of the reasons in Germany). It is just possible that Frederick followed an earlier brother (perhaps the butcher) - but the question remains.

I have already been in contact with another Belfast Hoffmann family but we have established there is no connection.

Nancy

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:24 AM »
Hello Nancy,

There was a family named Hoffman in Belfast prior to the arrival of your ancestors from Bavaria. Emerald Ancestors reveals that there was a Frederick Hoffman who married
Agnes Spence at May Street Presbyterian Church on 21st June 1859.

Christopher 

ciotach

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 04:06:17 AM »
Hi Christopher,

it's been a couple of years now! Yes I know about the earlier F.  Hoffman who married Agnes Spence; didn't know his full name was Frederick though. Interesting. I have not looked at my Hoffmanns for some time, perhaps it's time I did, in particular to see if I can trace that earlier family.

By the way some time ago I had some wonderful correspondence with a gentleman who at one time owned Hoffman's barbershop. He says he still has the original plate glass window, stored at his home.

- Nancy

kalasira

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:09 PM »
To ciotach.
I was reading your message,s about the Hoffman family,my boyfriend,s half sister was a Hoffman,but lived in Germany,her mum,s name was Hertha Martha,Ferdinandin Hoffman nee (Ricket) her husband was called Rudi Hoffman,the daughter was called Christa,she also has a brother but has no idea where he is,it really is quite a sad story,Christa and her mum were put in to a camp,trough reasons i don't,really want to say,her father was quite high up,her brother stayed with his father,(let,s put it this way mum and daughter would not do as they were told,he divorced her).and she married my boyfriend,d dad while he was in germany,and they came over here ,Christa,know,s she has family but can,t find any one it really is sad,she doe,snt want to find her father,but her brother she would love to find,if you come across anything please let me know as Christa,is such a lovely  person,thank,s Jacquie. :)

ciotach

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »
Hi Jacquie,
What a sad story. I hope Christa finds her brother one day. I'll keep an eye out for the name Rudi, but most of my research is in UK and in the early 1900's.
Ciotach.

kalasira

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
dear ciotach.
thanks very much for replying to my message,to be ashamed of your father during the war must have been bad,and to put his family in a camp just cos they wouln,nt do what he said i do no that they refused to salute when he solider,s went passed including ,H-----,i think you know who i mean any why thank you for taking the time out to reply,and hope you find ever thing you are looking for,
all the best Jacquie :) :)

KevinA

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
Hi ciotach

This might be a long shot replying to such an old post.

I have been researching the names on my local village war memorial (Corstorphine, Edinburgh)

I came accross two brothers "Hoffmann" and on researching them find out the were the sons of a local hairdresser, who emigrated here in the 1880's from Prussia.  Some of the family have the same first names as your Belfast Hoffmanns who were also imigrants and hairdressers - Charles & Frederick.

Could the Belfast Hoffmanns be related to the Corstorphine Hoffmanns?

I look forward to hearing from you and we can maybe then exchange more information

Regards
Kevin

loughpark

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
Lovely Frederick Hoffmann bottle for sale on eBay from his Hairdressing shop. See item number 221704306034