Author Topic: The Newtownards Road  (Read 39122 times)

Jon B

Re: The Newtownards Road
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »
Hi I have just discovered this site and looked at part of the video Fallen Arches.  

I'll stick it on here in case anybody didn't see the other thread.
 http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-993386909645406110&q=source%3A008643211742964893899&hl=en

KEEP

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
Thanks, yes that's my Mother's family. I grew up in Gilnahirk, but after my dad was laid off at Short's we then had a shop in Gertrude Street and I got to know that area a little as a child. I really would like to know more about my Grandfather, who died when I was 2. My mother always said he was a lay preacher in a pentecostal church but I never knew which one. There were some stories about not doing any work on the Sabbath and some dietary rules (no shellfish etc.) which makes it all sound old testament. Anyone know how I can find out more? Thanks, this is really interesting, Elaine

fred g

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
Hi Montrose thanks for welcome back .Moved and had trouble getting a line and my internet restored, some things never change one speed only? ::)

fitzy

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
im not sure if any one has suggested the lennon and wylie sites to you they are fantastic to find your family back to the 1800s. you can also go in to dundonald cem   etary on this site

fitzy

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
hi there i dont know if anyone has suggested the lennon and wylie sites of street directories, you can check out grand and great gran parents back to the 1800s

Jon B

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
 you can also go in to dundonald cemetary on this site

have you a link for that Fitzy

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »
Here's a link for Dindonald Cemetery - they're all war graves though. http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=73399&mode=1

Jon B

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »

honestmay

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:19 AM »
 ::)Anyone know ,,Flood/Fraser/Cowen/Snoody/ Rankin/Curry .all from that area  and all ran about together   :)

bangerbob

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »
Montrose is correct, John Allen lived int the last house next to the railway easement, in fraser Street.The family consisted  of 2 girls one being the oldest and the other the youngest ,4 sons , One being Frank, (owner of the Quarry Inn Dundonald).
 Old John Was a sunday night Soapbox preacher at Scotch Row.

Rosiejoe

« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2009, 12:42:23 PM »
I lived in Parkgate Ave, just beside Hollywood Arches.  I went to school at St. Matthews, Short Strand and walked down the Newtownards Road to school and home ...EVERYDAY...because we had no money.  Ask a child to walk today, they think you're mad!!  My first job was in RMG Plumbing & Heating on the corner of Ribble Street (above the laundrette) working for Jimmy Rice of Helen's Bay. My first Christmas we all went to the big pub across the road (can't remember the name) it was on the junction of N'ard Road & Albertbridge Road, I didn't want them to know I'de never really had a drink (I was a very young 16) so I ordered a biccardi & coke (had heard my aunt talking about it) and within 5 minutes was drunk under the table and was the talk of RMG for 12 months!!!!!  Happy Days... Rose

vespamum

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »
Thanks, yes that's my Mother's family. I grew up in Gilnahirk, but after my dad was laid off at Short's we then had a shop in Gertrude Street and I got to know that area a little as a child. I really would like to know more about my Grandfather, who died when I was 2. My mother always said he was a lay preacher in a pentecostal church but I never knew which one. There were some stories about not doing any work on the Sabbath and some dietary rules (no shellfish etc.) which makes it all sound old testament. Anyone know how I can find out more? Thanks, this is really interesting, Elaine
i was brought up in Church of God , and they keep the food laws, ie, no pork , duck , prawns, shellfish.. i remember after us girls married my late mum used to say ," dont you be feeding my grandchildren unclean food.  ???

KEEP

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
Hi, that is very interesting, I have never heard of the Church of God, do you have any more information on this ? Thank you

KEEP

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
Hi Bangerbob, thanks -my Mum was John Allen's eldest; she died 5 years ago. I remember her talking about Scots Row, but I haven't found many references to it. I am looking for some old street maps of Belfast to locate it. If you have any more memories or knowledge of my Grandfather, I would love to hear them, thanks

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »

Keep,

The clip below is a copy from the early Street Directory's of Belfast. 1907 and 1910 around this time or later most of Scotch Row was knocked down,an a childrens playground was built. As you can see on the 1907 Directory, at that time an A. Allen was listed at o 26. In the 1910 Directory only one address, is listed 39 O' Neill  Spirit Grocer, the rest had gone. This Building was a Public House, or later become a Pub that was called "The Scotch Row House" this was situated on the corner of Scotch Row. The Pub was still there when I left Belfast in 1954. The old Man John Allen I remember when I was a young boy, his eldest son was called Augustus, or Gusty for short, he would have been your Mothers Brother. BangorBob may have further information that could help you.     

Scotch Row 1907 Street Directory.
Scotch Row
Newtownards Road to Fox Street
39. O'Neill, Patk., spirit grocer
________
26. Allen, A., labourer
28. Lennox, John, car driver
30. Dunwoody, Chas., labourer
32. McCann, Adam, labourer
34. Barr, Samuel, carter

1910 Street Directory
Scotch Row
Newtownards Road to Fox Street
39. McMulkin, John, spirit grocer
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "