Author Topic: Hardinge Street CBS  (Read 27648 times)

Margana

Re: Hardinge Street CBS
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
I went to Hardinge Street 1965 and 1970.
I remember being slapped many time by Brian Black aka Wee Basil.

You must have been there the same time as me. Were you in A1 or A2?

jmfharrison

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »
Sorry Soo long ago I can't remember

Margana

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
Sorry Soo long ago I can't remember

A1 had all those whose surname began with A to Mc
A2 were those from Mc to Z.

Guessing that your surname is Harrison you must have been A1. I only remember two people from that class - Paul Anderson, who like myself was from the Short Strand and ?? Campbell from the New Lodge who was killed in the 70's.

halfbap

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »
I was at the school from '57 thru '61. head was o'connel. wee angus, big aiken, mcconville,wee davy rice As for some of the guys in my class; jim Taylor killed on a motorbike in 1965, pat Wilson from hollywood,died in south africa a few years ago. sean mcguiness ( nephew of wee ted the woodwork teacher )sean died in ohio some years ago. jim devlin from the short strand, died about a year after he left hoarding street.anyone else of that era still alive.

The Murph

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
A1 had all those whose surname began with A to Mc
A2 were those from Mc to Z.

Guessing that your surname is Harrison you must have been A1. I only remember two people from that class - Paul Anderson, who like myself was from the Short Strand and ?? Campbell from the New Lodge who was killed in the 70's.
Was there from about 62-66. I dont remember the classes being a1 a2. I remember the teachers names that have been mentioned. Had forgotten about wee basil!
Gerard Tierney was my mate right throughout the time I was there.
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

Margana

« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
Was there from about 62-66. I dont remember the classes being a1 a2. I remember the teachers names that have been mentioned. Had forgotten about wee basil!
Gerard Tierney was my mate right throughout the time I was there.

I knew guys a bit older than me who might have attended around your time. Pat Quinn, Raymond Bateson, Gerard Price?

Michael Hughes

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »

I went to Hardinge St from 58 to 62 when Big Jim Aiken, known as Rock, taught science.  He used to run concerts at the weekend in St Mary's hall and had us kids selling crisps and lemonade there. Brother O'Connell was The Boss then. I also remember Bros Eustace, Grace and another Bro who taught Physics.

I was at Hardinge Street 60 years ago from 1958 to 1961. I remember the names of all the lads in my class and the names of the teachers. The one whom I had the greatest respect for was the Maths teacher Jimmy McConville. He was a kind man who had a gift for teaching and treated the pupils with compassion. I believe he went on to become the Principal at the Belfast Business School.

If anyone is interested in the names of the lads at the school from 1958-1961 no doubt you will be in touch. Sad to say quite a number of the lads are no longer with us.

One lad I knocked about with was Brian Clifford (deceased) and he was a bit of a character. He painted the letters PTQ in black paint on the dome of the Belfast City Hall. The letters are still visible (2018)

Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Hi Absorba

I note you say you attended St Brides Primary School before going to Hardinge Street. I followed the same path from St Brides in Derryvolgie Avenue to Hardinge Street but I do not recall you at either school. However, I do recall all the names of the teachers that you mention.

I lived on the University Road and travelled to Hardinge Street on my bike.

Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
Hi Ger, I remember Bro Eustace and also Bro Grace who taught Irish with a vengance. He also designed the school blazer badge which was a very republican looking symbol. I also remember a teacher called Auchenbach who taught maths. his wife had been a teacher in St Brides PS, my old school.  I remember meeting Wee Angus in the College of Business Studies wherw he taught evening classes.

Michael Hughes

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
Absorba

You have got me scratching my head trying to figure if I know you. I too went to St Brides Primary school in Derryvolgie Avenue and ended up in Hardinge Street in 1958. I left in 1961 and went to work in London.

I recognise the teachers' names you mention in your posts but I cannot remember you. I used to keep the class register and know most of the names of the lads in my class.

I expect you know Brian Clifford .. he died a few years ago.

I lived on the University Road.

If you remember me or my classmates no doubt you will be in touch.

Michael hughes

Bread Basket

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
I was at Hardinge Street 60 years ago from 1958 to 1961. I remember the names of all the lads in my class and the names of the teachers. The one whom I had the greatest respect for was the Maths teacher Jimmy McConville. He was a kind man who had a gift for teaching and treated the pupils with compassion. I believe he went on to become the Principal at the Belfast Business School.

If anyone is interested in the names of the lads at the school from 1958-1961 no doubt you will be in touch. Sad to say quite a number of the lads are no longer with us.

One lad I knocked about with was Brian Clifford (deceased) and he was a bit of a character. He painted the letters PTQ in black paint on the dome of the Belfast City Hall. The letters are still visible (2018)

Michael Hughes
Michael,
Two brothers from Hollywood, Pat & Liam McNulty.  ring any bells?

Michael Hughes

« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
Bread basket

I was the lad appointed to take the attendance register for my class at Hardinge Street from 1958 to 1961.

I have a list of the names of 33 pupils but the name McNulty does not appear on it. Furthermore, I do not recall any lads from Hollywood.

Sorry not to have been able to help.

Keep digging!

Michael Hughes

city hall

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
I knew Pat and Liam McNulty and they did indeed attend Hardinge Street,as did their 2 younger brothers Sean and Eamonn. Pat was  killed during the Troubles.

Michael Hughes

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »
'boutye, Frank

As a newbie I do not know how this forum thing works. I wrote a detailed reply to your enquiry and sent it to you but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. 

Did you get it?  If not please email me on [email protected] and I will let you have the information you requested. I will also let you have my list of classmates from 1958 to 1961.

Michael Hughes
Milton Keynes

Doyler

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
Hi guys. Memories - mostly good apart from Montgomery. Seems I'm not the only one lol. I was there 73 to 75. I was in the same class as Donal Quigley (Squigg), Bobby Campbell and Pavlo O'Neill. I'm rubbish with names so that's it.