Author Topic: Hardinge Street CBS  (Read 27664 times)

Hi hi silver

Re: Hardinge Street CBS
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Hi Does anyone remember tanto and fergy....I would love to get in touch with either of them.

they were so much craic at school and running about glengormley.
I was with fergy just 3 weeks ago he's a hotel in Scotland his dad passed away soon after Xmas I've been in and around glen through work or whatever married local girl three kids 2 grand kids still see loads of old faces fergy hasn't changed much except his hairs white never married who are you ?

Hi hi silver

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
I remember a few teachers.... kevin gough maths teacher we had a [censored] named mc carten bryce he was PE mc glister he was a big skinny guy and the geography teacher cant get his name small and dark haired was right at the top of the school his classroom ma green music teacher was acroos the hall way from him.
Brother murphy was the head. anyone remember brother curran he was a idiot.
brings back memories
Wee hughie and had a lethal strap called black Bertha

Maisie

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »
My name is Noel McLaughlin and I attended Hardinge St. CBS from 1958 - 61/62.  The Head Master then was Brother O'Connell, other brothers were, Eustace, Grace, Quinlan, and Sullivan.  Teachers were Leslie Lismore, Angus Coyle, Ted McGuinness, Fred Achenbach, Jim (Rock) Aiken, Mr. Rice and Jimmy McConville.  I remember Jim Aiken used to send a couple of us to a bank in North Queen Street every Wednesday morning to deposit his takings from his gigs in St. Mary's Hall or the Orpheus the previous night.  We had a great Gaelic football team then, in fact we were the first N.I. CBS school to win the Cor-na-nog cup in Ballnascreen in 1961.  Some of our players at the time were Tom Taggart, Albert Sloan, Dan O'Hara, Tom Grieve, Danny Larkin, and  Fred Scappatici to name a few.  I have been living in Sydney Australia for the last 41 years, but I quite often catch up with Tom Grieve and Jimmy Monaghan at our local Gaels Club.

Hardinge Street was not known for its great amenities - no canteen, no library, no exercise or gym facilities, but it was a great school to be educated in.  I can only look back with pleasant memories.  Does anyone else share any of  these memories ??

Bread Basket

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »
Anyone remember 2 brothers...Pat & Liam McNulty.?..early to mid 60's.....lived in Holywood

Skullcap

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »
Just found this place ! Was at Hardinge Street CBS 1964 -1969. Principal was Br. J.J. Colbert. The North West Blast was Br. Jennings with the open windows in Winter, demanding we get up on our hind legs ,us being horses waistcoats who needed to know no on died from fresh air , as he cleared his throat. The nightmare was Br. Hines during an incredible piece of gymnastics with is partial teeth and the whack of his freakin' strap. Unmatched until the cry of Dan Breen's , "alms for the luv of Allah!"
oh and me mammy made me wear a skullcap !

Skullcap

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
 :o Just noticed  - Arthur J. Breen was his name -actually did make me appreciate the Literature side of English - wasn't there also a Chemistry teacher - O'Brien ?
Who was the young Bro. who taught French for a year or two ?

Margana

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Breen taught Literature but he had a wicked streak. He would leave the room and say that there was not to be a sound while he was out. After a few minutes, he would return and say that he had heard noises and slap the whole class! I think he enjoyed it. I always remember my first year in 1965 (A2) when we had him on a Monday afternoon for three periods. How I hated him and Literature but I have always loved reading, just not Shakespeare and poetry.
O'Brien and Regan taught Chemistry and Physics to the junior years while Black (Basil) taught the senior boys. Jennings also used to say "Bob's your uncle and Paddy's your aunt"
I was there from 1965 to 1970 and can remember Angus Coyle (Geography), Savage (Maths), McGuinness and McBrearty who taught Woodwork and Tech Drawing, Black, Regan, O'Brien for Science subjects, Catney and Walsh,  French, D'arcy Maths, Jennings Irish, Breen English, Quinlan Irish and Maths and Colbert, the head who didn't teach.
The young brother who taught French may have been Bro. Eustace but he was gone when I started.

Skullcap

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »
I have to say I will not forget the beatings I took from Breen - yes indeed you are so right - in one 7 minute period up in Classroom A, I managed to get first 12 and then 5 more "slaps" from himself. The oddity is I made a decision to avoid it and hence the reading !  I had a hard time with  Pat Catney ( Big Sid ) - but learned enough French to move onwards.
Angus always amazed me with his hairy hands -
I did also forget Regan - wow -  Basil Black was tough but could be hilarious in terms of his science pranks -
Bro Eustace was around for a while I believe in the early part of the 64 / 65 year and then move over  ( again ? ) to Barrack Street. Bro Coleman just another story -

whutom88

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
hi does anyone remember gabriel reid (gail) between 63 and 67 at hardinge street school

Margana

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
hi does anyone remember gabriel reid (gail) between 63 and 67 at hardinge street school

My brother was two years older than me and would have been at Hardinge Street between 63 and 67. The name sounds vaguely familiar so I will ask if he remembers Gabriel.

Margana

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
My brother was two years older than me and would have been at Hardinge Street between 63 and 67. The name sounds vaguely familiar so I will ask if he remembers Gabriel.

My brother remembers him. He says that he was blonde haired and came from Glengormley. He went about with John Donaghy and Michael Duffy.

whutom88

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
What was your brothers name? This is for my dad who remembers the forementioned  names, unfortunately he has not got a computer at the moment so I am the middle man, one of them even came over to England in 72 I believe to visit him before I was born

jimmymack

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2014, 01:28:17 AM »
Maisie

If you see Tom Grieve soon please give him my regards ( Jim McWilliams) we hung around for a while when he was a barman in McGlade's pub also ask him to pass on my regards to Sean Green and Victor Mc Neill ho also hung around with us.

Jimmymack

hawkeye

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
Hi went to hardinge St 1969-1972 any one remember Big Martin tank mc kenzie

jmfharrison

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
I went to Hardinge Street 1965 and 1970.
I remember being slapped many time by Brian Black aka Wee Basil.