Author Topic: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY  (Read 2329970 times)

our bobby

Re: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
Great Photos Boxer, thanks for posting them.

St.Anthony

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Boxer, what did you call that pub at the circus, I think it was owned by the Lynch family at one time.
                                                                                                 Slan, Apalachie.
There were two bars on the Circus, The Criterion and McCanns.  Mc Canns had another bar in the wee street off Denmark Street that led to Carlisle Street and Eglington Street, if memory serves me right. Another bar further up the Crumlin Road was the Cherrymount(I think)

Mitcher

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
Smashing photos

barry

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
There were two bars on the Circus, The Criterion and McCanns.  Mc Canns had another bar in the wee street off Denmark Street that led to Carlisle Street and Eglington Street, if memory serves me right. Another bar further up the Crumlin Road was the Cherrymount(I think)

Hi  St  Anthony,  your  right  about  the  pub  just  up  from  the  circus, it  was  called  the  Cherrymount ( many  a  pint  i  had  in  it, early  70s )  the  owers  name  was  Jimmy   ?  cant  remember  his  surname,  tall  man,  bald  head.   
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

St.Anthony

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »

Hi  St  Anthony,  your  right  about  the  pub  just  up  from  the  circus, it  was  called  the  Cherrymount ( many  a  pint  i  had  in  it, early  70s )  the  owers  name  was  Jimmy   ?  cant  remember  his  surname,  tall  man,  bald  head.

I had a few in it myself. First time was 1972 on the way home from Mater Maternity on corner of Fairview Street after my first child was born.  I live for a short time in Carlisle Street Flats before that.  I had used those streets as my playground from mid-sixties.

barry

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »

I had a few in it myself. First time was 1972 on the way home from Mater Maternity on corner of Fairview Street after my first child was born.  I live for a short time in Carlisle Street Flats before that.  I had used those streets as my playground from mid-sixties.

In  that  case  St  A,  we  may  have  met (  or  at  least  been  in  there  at  the  same  time  LOL)  Do  you  remember  the  pinball  machine ?  I  actually  held  the  high  score  for  awhile  LoL.

sydenhambetty

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 12:55:23 AM »
Boxer, as usual brill. pictures. Thank you so much. :smile:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

apalachie

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 02:02:15 AM »

Hi, St A, your right about the Cherrymount, it had a more modern exterior  than most bars at that time, next to it going down the Crum was a second hand shop, "I think it was owned by Jimmy Millar? and  going on down @ the corner of Fleetwood St was a shop on the ground floor of a big house, the Criterion I believe was the bar owned by the Lynch,s, at the opposite side of the circus just above Denmark St was a row of big houses of which the bottom of  one was a fruit machine repair place just before Eglington St,the flats were there. Most of my family were born in St johns on the Crum between the 50,s to the 70,s and my own kids as well from 79 to 85 @ the corner of Florence St & Crumlin Rd just before the courthouse.
               Slan for now, Apalachie. 
Oh for all our yesterdays.

St.Anthony

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 02:21:56 AM »

Hi, St A, your right about the Cherrymount, it had a more modern exterior  than most bars at that time, next to it going down the Crum was a second hand shop, "I think it was owned by Jimmy Millar? and  going on down @ the corner of Fleetwood St was a shop on the ground floor of a big house, the Criterion I believe was the bar owned by the Lynch,s, at the opposite side of the circus just above Denmark St was a row of big houses of which the bottom of  one was a fruit machine repair place just before Eglington St,the flats were there. Most of my family were born in St johns on the Crum between the 50,s to the 70,s and my own kids as well from 79 to 85 @ the corner of Florence St & Crumlin Rd just before the courthouse.
               Slan for now, Apalachie.

At the corner of Fleetwood Street(?) was a small grocery shop/sweet shop.  Further down towards the circus there was Quinns supermarket/fruit and veg. The Venice Cafe. Concetta (Owner ?) was my favourite server.

barry

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
The  secondhand  furniture  store next door  to  the  Cherrymount  was  owned  by
 Monty  Rosenberge ,  anyone  remember  big  fat  Davy  who  used  to  work  there,  he  also  lived  up  stairs.

road hog

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »
great pics boxer, I like the one of Lenas, on the corner of Colin st, my Father was from there
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

St.Anthony

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
The  secondhand  furniture  store next door  to  the  Cherrymount  was  owned  by
 Monty  Rosenberge ,  anyone  remember  big  fat  Davy  who  used  to  work  there,  he  also  lived  up  stairs.
Davy Monteague, went to Barney.

St.Anthony

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
Davy Monteague, went to Barney.

The person I refer to was called " Dickie Montague "

apalachie

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »

The person I refer to was called " Dickie Montague "

Hi St A, Dicky Montague and Billy Burns "RIP" brought me and his brother Seamie to the Star of the Sea on our first day.
      Slan for now, Apalachie.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

St.Anthony

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Hi St A, Dicky Montague and Billy Burns "RIP" brought me and his brother Seamie to the Star of the Sea on our first day.
      Slan for now, Apalachie.
I know Seamie and I knew Billy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy