Author Topic: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY  (Read 1288109 times)

JackM

Re: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY
« Reply #12495 on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »

RMS `Pendennis Castle`, one of the most beautiful ships to have been built at Belfast, by Harland & Wolff.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.

JackM

« Reply #12496 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

The other side of it where the stabilisers are "may" have demanded it ?

Perhaps this was it's more easily removed for servicing ?

What's that circular hole about 2 feet above left hand corner ?

Looks like a port hole fully riveted in position. Could be an inspection window, regarding the Stabilizers ?  ???

stranmillis v

« Reply #12497 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
This thread is about photos can you not refrain?
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

welder

« Reply #12498 on: September 13, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

I apologise to anyone I've annoyed  ???
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

boxer1949

« Reply #12499 on: September 13, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
When photos go on this thread 1st there black & white,2nd you tell a story about the photo not just about showing photos thats why its called EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY  :read: :read:

jjmack

« Reply #12500 on: September 13, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
When photos go on this thread 1st there black & white,2nd you tell a story about the photo not just about showing photos thats why its called EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY  :read: :read:

Sounds good to me boxer1949, don't know what's got up your mans jacksee.  :D  By the way boxer thanks for the time and trouble you have taken over many years posting many, many hundreds of great photos.  :)
Wear your red poppy with pride.

jjmack

« Reply #12501 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »

No need for apologies welder, just read boxers post.  :)

welder

« Reply #12502 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »

I have, sorry Boxer
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

James James

« Reply #12503 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »
No need for apologies welder, just read boxers post.  :) 
Yes ditto that, and it wasn't Boxer who posted the original criticism, and it wasn't directed at welder, it appears to have been directed, and unreasonably directed, at your descriptive explanatory text about the subject and content of your ship pictures.

BTW,... just a thought, but might it not be a good idea to keep those H&W ship pictures on a separate ship picture thread of their own on which they would be permanently visible as a single H&W ships themed topic. ?

James James

« Reply #12504 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:03 PM »
Question -  Anyone on this thread  having problems seeing some of the photos ? Not boxer1949's they're OK, but others just appear with a little  "x"  and also I have been getting warnings from my anti-virus server telling me they are blocked.  - So, maybe someone has a virus in their computer and may not be aware of it.

James James- Thank you for your response. However I an "idiot savant" when it comes to computers. Don't know what urls are (?) I'll look back later to see if I can find the photo numbers.

The most recent photos I cannot view are, 12450,12453,12454 & 12455. There were others a few day ago.  It just started last week.

I've been having the same problem DMW   

Sorry to clutter the thread up with techy stuff, but it might be relevant to other readers who might also be having the same problem.

An URL is the text that you will see in the address/navigation box at the top of your internet browser on every page that you view on any internet site.

It's the address of that particular web page,... similar to a phone number for a telephone,... another name for an URL is, a link.

For example, this is the URL of DMW's Belfast forum profile page...

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=8252

It's notable that the pictures that you're seemingly both having the problem with not being able to view, were all posted by JackM,... and I suspect that the problem is being caused by the picture uploading site that JackM's pictures were uploaded to, before then being posted on here via that site.

The  X that you are seeing is your computer's way of telling you that it can't display the content of the picture which the URL/link of that picture points to.

This is the URL of JackM's reply post 12450...

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,33601.msg1986252.html#msg1986252

This is the URL of the picture that JackM posted in that reply message...

http://sl.uploads.im/t/CoQGK.jpg

The site that picture was originally uploaded to is  http://uploads.ru/

That's a very unusual picture uploading site, because it isn't one that is commonly used to upload pictures to which are then posted on here, and it's actually a Russian site.

That may be the cause of the problem, because a lot of dodgy material is often posted on the internet via Russian sites, such as viruses, spam, and adult content.

So what might be happening is that at sometime dodgy content has been posted via that site, and as a result your anti virus service has blacklisted i.e. blocked, all content that is posted via that site, even though the content might be perfectly safe, as JackM's pictures are,... that's called a false positive.

If that is the cause of the problem, then there are two likely possible fixes.

One is to temporarily switch off your anti virus service whilst you are viewing the Belfast forum.

The other option, if you can access the settings of your anti virus service, is to enter the settings and whitelist that site, i.e. tell your anti virus system not to block content that is hosted via that site.

jjmack

« Reply #12505 on: September 14, 2017, 05:55:53 AM »
jackM using a Russian host.     Personally I have no problem viewing any of the photos, apart from photo bucket some of which have disappeared.  :)

geraldine williamson

« Reply #12506 on: September 14, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »

No need to apologise, it is a human mistake, I always look forward to your posts, enjoy them immensely!! Take care.  G.

JackM

« Reply #12507 on: September 14, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
jackM using a Russian host.     Personally I have no problem viewing any of the photos, apart from photo bucket some of which have disappeared.  :)

lol         :D    There you go, just shows I'm not anti Russian. lol        :D     :o  Cant see what the fuss is about, I can see properly posted photos apart from some photo buckets which have now disappeared.

JackM

« Reply #12508 on: September 14, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »

???     ???     ???

JackM

« Reply #12509 on: September 14, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »

M.V. `Ulster Star` built by Harland & Wolff, for the Blue Star line in 1959. She gave sterling service to them before being broken up in Taiwan in 1979. She is seen fitting out at H & W.  :)