Author Topic: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY  (Read 1985701 times)

The Murph

Re: EVERY BLACK & WHITE PHOTO TELLS A STORY
« Reply #13605 on: April 18, 2018, 12:32:56 AM »

I don't think this is Northern Ireland. The only `Workshops for the Blind`, I remember was in Lawnbrook Avenue, off the Shankill Road.  The night helmets were worn by the RUC after 10-00pm at night, all year round. It coincided with Pub closing time.    :)

I agree. I think its london, according to wikipedia, the newspaper banners on the hoarding is a london based Sunday paper. The paper was renamed over its life on a number of occassions, though none indicate the name shown here.
Here is the wikipedia entry:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Reynold's News was a Sunday newspaper in the United Kingdom.
The paper was founded as Reynolds's Weekly Newspaper[1] by George W. M. Reynolds in 1850, who became its first editor. By 1870, the paper was selling more than 350,000 copies per week. George died in 1879 and was succeeded as editor by his brother, Edward Reynolds.[2]
After Edward's death in 1894, the paper was bought by Henry Dalziel[2] and in 1924 was renamed Reynold's Illustrated News.[1] In 1929, the paper was bought by the Co-operative Press, linked to the Co-operative Party,[2] and in 1936 its title was shortened to Reynold's News.
After the left-wing journalist H. N. Brailsford wrote a series of articles in Reynold's News criticising the Moscow trials, the paper received hundreds of letters both supporting Brailsford and criticising him.[3] In 1944, it was again renamed as Reynold's News and Sunday Citizen,[1] but the paper began losing money in the 1950s; it was relaunched in 1962 as a tabloid named the Sunday Citizen, but the final issue was on 18 June 1967.[2]

I cannot make out the writing on the other posters, something about "full text". Its good fun this sleuthing.  :)
Joe, the murph
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

JackM

« Reply #13606 on: April 18, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »
WHERES THIS STREET ?

My apologies Boxer you are correct, it is Belfast.  :)

Belfast Street Directory 1918

Charlemont Street
Berry Street to Garfield Street
 Smithfield Ward, West Par. Div.

[left hand side]
        Heron, Jas., caretaker
        Workshops for the Industrious Blind
        General Post Office - Parcel Post Depot, Night Telegraph Office, and Telegram Delivery Office

O0 O0
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

James James

« Reply #13607 on: April 18, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »
Result. !

Also from the 1918 directory,... 28 Royal Avenue,... and you know, there seems to be very little mention of the exact address and location elsewhere,... so you all just recovered and proved, a little bit of Belfast and Ulster history. BTW, I can't recall exactly when it closed and moved following it's merger with another similar organisation, but I think that it was in the 1940's,... so the policeman's helmet, along with the newspaper poster, is suggesting a pre 1922 date for the picture.

jjmack

« Reply #13608 on: April 19, 2018, 05:48:00 AM »
WHERES THIS STREET ?

I would say this photo is before 1922 and the Poiceman is a member of the RIC. I certainly remember the RUC wearing 'night helmets' , but I thought it was after midnight ? This photo certainly isn't at night, so I suspect it's the RIC as opposed to the RUC.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #13609 on: April 19, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #13610 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13611 on: April 19, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13612 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13613 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »

The Royal Irish Constabulary.   :)

JackM

« Reply #13614 on: April 19, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »

A Royal Ulster Constabulary `Night` Helmet from 1960   :)

JackM

« Reply #13615 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13616 on: April 20, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13617 on: April 20, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13618 on: April 20, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »

JackM

« Reply #13619 on: April 20, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »