Author Topic: Is Ulster Scots a Language?  (Read 25342 times)

RabRow

Re: Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
rab, that is all great speculation, ui neill was always the ard ri. they were known as the high kings all down through the ages, they were gaelic first and foremost.

doare I'm only going by what he said and when you go that far back in time there is a helluva lot of speculation goes on. Suffice to say that the island was made up of many different peoples each with their own 'kings'. They fought with each other and the island was never really one for any length of time except when under English rule

jmac

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
jim mcdowell? who is he? sounds like a scots planter name. ;)
adams? now that isn't what I would call an Irish name,doare, but then whats in a name? ;)
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

doare.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
jmac, my name is diarmuid o raghalaigh, or dermot reilly anglecised, i agree "what is in a name" shakespeare says it right, cant judge by appearances, as i said before , and i will say it once more, if all of us had our DNA tested,( prods and fenians) we would all be mostly the same. in fact it has already been done,read "the blood of the isles" by distinguished professor of genetics, bryan sykes.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

jmac

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »
jmac, my name is diarmuid o raghalaigh, or dermot reilly anglecised, i agree "what is in a name" shakespeare says it right, cant judge by appearances, as i said before , and i will say it once more, if all of us had our DNA tested,( prods and fenians) we would all be mostly the same. in fact it has already been done,read "the blood of the isles" by distinguished professor of genetics, bryan sykes.
doare,my name is as Irish as yours,(old Irish gaelic). You're the one classing peoples alligiances by their names ,not me,the name macdowell is gaelic,the prefix mac originated in Ireland & was taken to Scotland by the IRISH scots, so a lot of the so called planters were just returning to their homeland.
slan, jmac 
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

doare.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 04:29:58 AM »
jmac i am glad they have returned then, and love ireland like we all do.most of the names in the north are well mixed now, so who really cares, i was winding rab up actually.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

RabRow

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »

Whats in a name...a helluva lot I would say seeing as you go on so much doare about how we are all Irish,and about Ireland in general. If it don't matter then we are all Ulster/Ullish people in this part of the island and that'll do me. You and others can of course define yourselves as Irish if you so wish. Its called freedom of choice.

And of course you have mentioned the DNA thing repeatedly. But as I have pointed out, is someone who considers themselves to be Celtic Irish to the core and into all the Irish traditions and culture suddenly gonna change if their DNA shows they are of Scandinavian origin,or vice-versa. I hardly think so. Its what people percieve themselves to be which in the end I think counts. It carries more weight than all the DNA testing in the world.

But your right about The Homecoming....the Cruthin return to the land they were driven from. ;) :smile:

stickyra

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
We all should remember that we have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents. .by the time you get to great x 10 we have 2048 grandparents. Go back to great x 20 and it is over FOUR MILLION grandparents, although this is only theoretical because I have researched my family tree back to prehistory and found that many of my ancestors were duplicated several times, i e I found the same individual through various different bloodlines. This is the case with us all and thousands of us share thousands of the same ancestors. I always saw myself as Celtic Irish but soon realised that I am descended from many different cultures (although a large number are Scottish Gaelic people.) I can also count among my ancestors William the Conqueror, King Alfred and Robert de Bruce. I  discovered that I have fifty-third cousins as diverse as Rod Stewart and England's Princess Diana. Our DNA is remakably similar whether you are a Mick or a Prod, British or Irish or Ulster Scots or whatever. Our cultural identity only reflects our life experience and what way we were brought up or whatever community we find ourselves emerging from.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

sean d

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »
Amen bro! that says it all. Now lets all get on.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

RabRow

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
We all should remember that we have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents. .by the time you get to great x 10 we have 2048 grandparents. Go back to great x 20 and it is over FOUR MILLION grandparents, although this is only theoretical because I have researched my family tree back to prehistory and found that many of my ancestors were duplicated several times, i e I found the same individual through various different bloodlines. This is the case with us all and thousands of us share thousands of the same ancestors. I always saw myself as Celtic Irish but soon realised that I am descended from many different cultures (although a large number are Scottish Gaelic people.) I can also count among my ancestors William the Conqueror, King Alfred and Robert de Bruce. I  discovered that I have fifty-third cousins as diverse as Rod Stewart and England's Princess Diana. Our DNA is remakably similar whether you are a Mick or a Prod, British or Irish or Ulster Scots or whatever. Our cultural identity only reflects our life experience and what way we were brought up or whatever community we find ourselves emerging from.

Yip indeed. Are ya listening Doare. :smile:

RobRoy

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
Doare, for your own sanity don't even bother to reply, they will never get it. LOL

doare.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
stickyra, right on,  an intelligent response at long last, the further you go back we are all the same, and it is a cultural designation mostly we all have. who really cares? i am glad to see the loyalist members go back to their roots, it must be frustrating for them in all this, being called scots irish, ulster scots, west britons, if they are happy with, "cruthin" go for it.be happy life is very short. ;)

stickyra

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
stickyra, right on,  an intelligent response at long last, the further you go back we are all the same, and it is a cultural designation mostly we all have. who really cares? i am glad to see the loyalist members go back to their roots, it must be frustrating for them in all this, being called scots irish, ulster scots, west britons, if they are happy with, "cruthin" go for it.be happy life is very short. ;)

:drinks:   Bang on Doare!
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

RabRow

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »

Nat atall Doare. We never were frustrated,think it was more the Irish who were and still are. That why they have to flaunt their Irishness all over the world ;) :smile:  and behave as if they were the only people on God's earth who had a patron Saint :D   Wheras the old Ulsterman just plods along never bothering himself. :smile:

doare.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
rab, i am an ulsterman as well, it is a province in ireland, remember? i am a gael uladh,. ;)

RabRow

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »
rab, i am an ulsterman as well, it is a province in ireland, remember? i am a gael uladh,. ;)

Ah aul Gerry said that . ''I too am an Ulsterman''. But the thing is he probably puts himself as an Irishman first....like yourself.  The Prods mirror that..I am an Ulsterman but put themselves as British first.

Best bet, stuff the Irish and British and we'll all be Ulster men and women. But that'll never happen because its sensible,and we on this island don't do 'sensible' ::) :smile: