Author Topic: Is Ulster Scots a Language?  (Read 25819 times)

doare.

Re: Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »
so the prods and the catholics have the same dna. little cultural differences are just veneers.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RabRow

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
so the prods and the catholics have the same dna. little cultural differences are just veneers.

Aye we're all Brits. :smile:  And whats with this prods and catholics bit. Seems a bit discriminatory. Like its all right to say prods but not micks etc etc. I feel offended and am thinking of seeing aul Gerry about this discrimination in the use of words.

Naw only jestin. :smile:  I think Prods are more tolerant about these wee matters than Catholics ;)

Skully

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »
sorry Skully, but that old Spanish thing is bollo. Any surviviors from the Spanish Armada were quickly dispatched on the beaches by the Irish gurriers. official ;)

Official from where? :smile:   And it seems you were the only one to comment, I wonder why?  ;)
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

Sandgroper

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
Official from where? :smile:   And it seems you were the only one to comment, I wonder why?  ;)
Skully I have been watching Tboy's posts for a few months. I cant recollect any thing that he has posted that doesn't try to tear down, without much documentation, other posters thoughts or ideas. He seems to think he's the king of the one liners. These observations are about a range of subjects. It's a pity he cant be just a little constructive. Sad really.
Sg

RobRoy

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Sandgroper and Skully, whilst not wishing to answer for t'boy I do remember seeing an RTE program on this years ago and I think he is correct in as much as there were very few survivors and most of them were killed, but it is well known that Basques were trading with Western Ireland also a lot of the pottery found in archiological digs on the Iveragh peninsula originated in what is now southern Turkey. A friend who is married to an Aran islander had a shock whilst holidaying in Tunisia when some locals started getting on to her for accompanaying a european white man. A man from their hotel happened to be there and saved the day, so there you go. When I first met them I asked what country she came from, embarrasing.

Skully

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
Skully I have been watching Tboy's posts for a few months. I cant recollect any thing that he has posted that doesn't try to tear down, without much documentation, other posters thoughts or ideas. He seems to think he's the king of the one liners. These observations are about a range of subjects. It's a pity he cant be just a little constructive. Sad really.
Sg

Dead on Sandgroper but they don't bother me, I post, not in reply to his responses but to try to get others to reply.   Whatever he comes back with I just accept as giving me another opportunity to post on the subject matter.

Mind you, I am glad you said this, I thought I was the only one who noticed  :smile: .
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

Skully

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »
Sandgroper and Skully, whilst not wishing to answer for t'boy I do remember seeing an RTE program on this years ago and I think he is correct in as much as there were very few survivors and most of them were killed, but it is well known that Basques were trading with Western Ireland also a lot of the pottery found in archiological digs on the Iveragh peninsula originated in what is now southern Turkey. A friend who is married to an Aran islander had a shock whilst holidaying in Tunisia when some locals started getting on to her for accompanaying a european white man. A man from their hotel happened to be there and saved the day, so there you go. When I first met them I asked what country she came from, embarrasing.

Np Robroy with regards to answering with respect to TBoy.   I think, if you read the link and others which are easily found on Google the Spanish connection seems to have little to do with the Spanish armada and more to do with immigration of people from Spain and the Basque area into Ireland (as your own post seems to imply, though correct me if I misunderstood  :smile: ).    It would be nice though if someone else could google this and correct or confirm this.   

If I am right perhaps the Irish speakers should start speaking in Spanish?   :D

jemmy hope

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
Skully, I thik the connection to the Iberia Peninsula predates the last ice age.  The ebb and flow of most of Europe is centerd in that area.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Sandgroper

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »

Hi rob roy
I'm not saying that t'boy is wrong  about this. Quite likely he is right. What I was saying was that what posts of his I have been noticing seem to always be of the negative type. Now I see he has posted a huge number times and I'm positive they couldn't all be like this so maybe I'm looking at topics that generate his negative outlook and sometimes sharp put downs. I will look out for him on subjects that he may be more positive about and maybe he will take more time to share his knowledge than just dismiss us with a throwaway sentence here or there.
I am ashamed to admit that my lack of knowledge of Irish history is lamentable. I knew nothing about the Basques or other trading  partners until I read about it here and its 50 years since I came to Australia so I'm afraid there is very little chance of furthering my education through RTE or even BBC programs.

Sg

doare.

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
the incident of the spanish armada? does not make a dent in who we are.the MAJORITY in britain are from the IBERIAN PENINSULA originally.which is NORTHERN SPAIN.originally it was postulated that the MAJORITY came from mainland europe. (celts), but the DNA has shown that they came from IBERIA (CELTS).we are mostly the same as the basques. if we break it down to more recent movements, in SCOTLAND the DNA is 50% irish and 50% norway,which corresponds with the different language issues, i.e scots and gaelic, scots is a mixture of gaelic and norse, and this reflects in words like "kirk" which soon shows up in northern ireland.(ulsterisms) oxter etc...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RobRoy

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
Np Robroy with regards to answering with respect to TBoy.   I think, if you read the link and others which are easily found on Google the Spanish connection seems to have little to do with the Spanish armada and more to do with immigration of people from Spain and the Basque area into Ireland (as your own post seems to imply, though correct me if I misunderstood  :smile: ).    It would be nice though if someone else could google this and correct or confirm this.   

If I am right perhaps the Irish speakers should start speaking in Spanish?   :D
No Skully you have not misunderstood. I have read intensively re Basque history and they were fishing and trading with what we now call USA and Canada long before the so called discoverers of that continent, but as to the end of your post, well, Skully the Basques didn't speak Spanish, in fact the Spanish got the Germans to bomb them into total submission. Google Picasso's painting called Guernica, this was one of the main atrocities.
Damn, now, thanks to you, I will have to learn Basque. lol ::)

Skully

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »
No Skully you have not misunderstood. I have read intensively re Basque history and they were fishing and trading with what we now call USA and Canada long before the so called discoverers of that continent, but as to the end of your post, well, Skully the Basques didn't speak Spanish, in fact the Spanish got the Germans to bomb them into total submission. Google Picasso's painting called Guernica, this was one of the main atrocities.
Damn, now, thanks to you, I will have to learn Basque. lol ::)

Heh, give us a lesson when you are fluent  :smile: and indeed, you have taught me something about Spanish history.   Cheers.

doare.

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:53 AM »
rob roy and skully they (the basques as we now call them) came to the british isles before BC, THIS IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET ACROSS VIA BRIAN SYKES DISTINGUISHED GENETICIST, ALL  the population before the angles and saxons came, were CELTS from the iberian peninsula, that is where the BASQUES live, in NORTHERN SPAIN. THE basques are CELTS.the follow up invaders blended into the majority gene pool, i.e norse etc.the biggest gene selection in the BRITISH ISLES, ARE CELTS FROM IBERIA,( northern spain) ;)

Skully

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
rob roy and skully they (the basques as we now call them) came to the british isles before BC, THIS IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET ACROSS VIA BRIAN SYKES DISTINGUISHED GENETICIST, ALL  the population before the angles and saxons came, were CELTS from the iberian peninsula, that is where the BASQUES live, in NORTHERN SPAIN. THE basques are CELTS.the follow up invaders blended into the majority gene pool, i.e norse etc.the biggest gene selection in the BRITISH ISLES, ARE CELTS FROM IBERIA,( northern spain) ;)

Can you give me the authority which states this unequivocally please Doare, ie that the Basques were celts.  Cheers.   Or can you confirm that there is a great similiarity between gaelic and the Basque language, which would more or less seal it.

doare.

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »