Author Topic: Is Ulster Scots a Language?  (Read 25237 times)

The King of Farley Rusk

Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
I've been getting a bit of stick on youtube for this story of mine. It's in Ulster Scots and some people are posting up that it's not a proper language. What's your opinion? Is it a language? Or just an accent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuohghCQ2SA

tboy

Re: Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
I've been getting a bit of stick on youtube for this story of mine. It's in Ulster Scots and some people are posting up that it's not a proper language. What's your opinion? Is it a language? Or just an accent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuohghCQ2SA
?tnecca na tsuj ro. heh :D

jmac

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »
excellent,  :D
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

BRANDY

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
U CAN SPEAK ULSTER SCTS IN 4 WORDS     OCH EAY THE NOO

eros

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
in three  words      "it' a dialect"   and this thread has been on before  :hi:
Lest we Forget

sean d

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:27:18 PM »
Ach, Stap ye,re gaegin.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

The King of Farley Rusk

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
As someone who didn't learn to speak English until he was 19. It was pleasing to write something in my ain native tongue.

RabRow

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »
Its been discussed before on here and with the usual derogatory remarks :smile: .

I suppose it depends how you approach the subject. Some people start off right away with comparing it with English and that Ullans is just a form of English. But then that comparision could be made with the different Scandinavian languages and yes made even the different Gaelic languages.

There are even some Ulster-Scots people who would be a bit sceptical of some of the words used in Ulster Scots books about the language. I seen on a Ulster Scots BBC site where one of the participants ridiculed an old Ullans word which she said she had never heard her parents or grandparents use. Maybe true enough,but then as it was a word which had fallen by the wayside over the years her great/great great grandparents may have used it.

The King of Farley Rusk

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
I know what you mean about derogetory comments. Did you see the ones under my video. Just trying to tell a wee story and all the haters start hating.

RabRow

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
Well have to say whoever it was made a right eejit of themself. :D Craic! No self respecting Ulster-Scot would use that spelling. ::) :D

doare.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
i have a scots friend, and all the stuff we use in northern ireland, she is very aware of them, and familiar. it came in with the planters.the rest of ulster (9 counties) the other 3, cavan monaghan and donegal, dont have these expressions as much as the other 6 counties, donegal has some, mostly the heaviest planted, the areas with the best farmland.the other 3 are native irish.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RabRow

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
Think doare you should watch a video of Jim McDowell 'Who Got What' think was the name.

doare.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:37 PM »
jim mcdowell? who is he? sounds like a scots planter name. ;)
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RabRow

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
jim mcdowell? who is he? sounds like a scots planter name. ;)

He was a bit of a journalist and now is I believe editor of the Sunday World. He did a series on TV ranging from Setanta to the O'Neills,from the Plantation/Homecoming to the Siege.

If I remember correctly he said the O'Neill wasn't interested in an all Ireland position and was more for Ulster. I think his words went something like he would be classed to day as being a UDI for Ulster man.

doare.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
rab, that is all great speculation, ui neill was always the ard ri. they were known as the high kings all down through the ages, they were gaelic first and foremost.