Author Topic: Is Ulster Scots a Language?  (Read 25467 times)

Skully

Re: Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »

Ah aul Gerry said that . ''I too am an Ulsterman''. But the thing is he probably puts himself as an Irishman first....like yourself.  The Prods mirror that..I am an Ulsterman but put themselves as British first.

Best bet, stuff the Irish and British and we'll all be Ulster men and women. But that'll never happen because its sensible,and we on this island don't do 'sensible' ::) :smile:

With regards to this I wonder what a poll would show if it was put to the people on both sides of the divide...ie how would you feel if both Ireland and Britain decided that from now on you they wanted nothing to do with you and that you should be your own people?
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

RobRoy

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »
I can't believe it; RabRow was there a big bright light came shining from the sky when you were on your way to buy another bottle of poitin? or was it on the way back after your "degustation"?
Of course there should be an alliance of Celts, Irish, Scots, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Bretons. All peoples who have nothing in common with England except a language which we were forced to speak.  Rise Up and unite and let the english return to their native Germany.
LoL

RabRow

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
With regards to this I wonder what a poll would show if it was put to the people on both sides of the divide...ie how would you feel if both Ireland and Britain decided that from now on you they wanted nothing to do with you and that you should be your own people?

I doubt it would get very far Skully. It would take a lot of goodwill on both sides and I don't think that exists. I would guess that there would be more 'give' on the unionist side but it would be virtually a non-starter on the republican side. You see old Pearse knew what he was doing when he left the blood legacy. ;)

The Independence Ulster Party stood in the elections and the most they got was about 8,000 votes. They stood about 5 to 10 years ago  in North Belfast (think it was) and got 16 votes. Its nice to think about a new Ulster but as I say we don't do 'sensible' :smile:

RabRow

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »
I can't believe it; RabRow was there a big bright light came shining from the sky when you were on your way to buy another bottle of poitin? or was it on the way back after your "degustation"?
Of course there should be an alliance of Celts, Irish, Scots, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, Bretons. All peoples who have nothing in common with England except a language which we were forced to speak.  Rise Up and unite and let the english return to their native Germany.
LoL

Aye, thats one thing the Irish can thank the English for, 'forcing' them to use English. Look at the head start it gave them on other immigrants when they got to America. I bet England's regretting it now. Think how wonderful it would have been if they had just been left alone to speak their Gaelic. Boy it would be heaven,just talking among themselves on their wee island and the rest of the world passing them by and getting on with life. Ach England you made a right mess of things. Stupid Brits again :angry2: :smile:

RobRoy

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
I swear Rab that by the new year ye'll be one of us!!! Give up that oul brit crap, it's worse for your health than smokin!!!

doare.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
this thread is the best "geg" i get all day.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RabRow

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »
But wouldn't it have been great if the Irish had all been left to speak their own Gaelic language,talking away to each other and the rest of the English speakers in the world carrying on doing business and the world in general not knowing what the hell the Irish were jabbering on about. :smile:  Ah sweet bliss. :smile: 

rathlin

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
Would it not be wonderful if rabrow posted all of his postings in 'ulser scots'?   :D
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

RabRow

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Would it not be wonderful if rabrow posted all of his postings in 'ulser scots'?   :D

Ah but English is the first language as it is in America. It is my first language. And why O why do the Irish speakers not go to an Irish site where they could jabber away to their hearts content to each other. Ah sweet bliss. :smile:

But they know that English is a great language and without it they would be lost. The big mistake the English did was to pass it on to them. Just think what a wonderful world it woud be, (to quote Louis Armstrong) if they hadn't :smile:

RobRoy

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
Come to think of it RabRow you are spot on. Imagine! All them American presidents you boasted about speakin only gaelic, then the whole of the citizens there would have to speak the same. Today we would have millions of gaelic speakers.
Rab could you ever do us a favour and build a time machine.  

rathlin

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
rabroy is now coming into land in his little brit helicopter.   :D
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

The King of Farley Rusk

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
What about the comments on my video though? Are they out of order or do some of them have a point?

RobRoy

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
rabroy is now coming into land in his little brit helicopter.   :D
Are you suggestin one of us is a header and the other one an [censored]? :swoon: :swoon: :scratch_ones_head:

RabRow

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
Come to think of it RabRow you are spot on. Imagine! All them American presidents you boasted about speakin only gaelic, then the whole of the citizens there would have to speak the same. Today we would have millions of gaelic speakers.
Rab could you ever do us a favour and build a time machine.  

Once again you are away off the mark, As these Presidents were Ulster-Scots they would have conversed in English or maybe even Ulster Scots  :smile:

RabRow

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
Keep em coming I'm gittin a good laugh at you guys as you line up to take potshots at me.

scarasm the lowest form of wit and the highest form of ignorance :D