Author Topic: Is Ulster Scots a Language?  (Read 29315 times)

stickyra

Re: Is Ulster Scots a Language?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »
I speak Irish and English. Where I live the English Dialect is officially Ulster Scots so I am very familiar with that also. I live way North of Belfast, in northern Ireland in the Irish Republic. I live in County Donegal in Ulster, Ireland. That is to say I am a proud Ulsterman, Irish to the core, living in Ulster in the north of the South. My county is the most northerly in Ireland but it is not in Northern Ireland. It is in the South, you see. I mean it is in the north, i.e Ulster, in the South. So here I am, a proud Irishman from Belfast living now in the South, in Ulster and proud of it. Lamh Dearg Abú!    By the way I was born in Ulster, but moved ten years ago to. .Ulster.
Hope this brings an end to all this b*ll**t.  :D ;) :smile: :angry2: :( :swoon: :scratch_ones_head: ::) :girl_blum: :unsure: :air_kiss:
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

RabRow

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »
 :D  I hope so too.

rathlin

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
The helicopter has landed. :D
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

RabRow

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
The helicopter has landed. :D

Thats good,glad you got down OK rathlin :D

apalachie

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
I speak Irish and English. Where I live the English Dialect is officially Ulster Scots so I am very familiar with that also. I live way North of Belfast, in northern Ireland in the Irish Republic. I live in County Donegal in Ulster, Ireland. That is to say I am a proud Ulsterman, Irish to the core, living in Ulster in the north of the South. My county is the most northerly in Ireland but it is not in Northern Ireland. It is in the South, you see. I mean it is in the north, i.e Ulster, in the South. So here I am, a proud Irishman from Belfast living now in the South, in Ulster and proud of it. Lamh Dearg Abú!    By the way I was born in Ulster, but moved ten years ago to. .Ulster.
Hope this brings an end to all this b*ll**t.  :D ;) :smile: :angry2: :( :swoon: :scratch_ones_head: ::) :girl_blum: :unsure: :air_kiss:

Yes Stickyra, Ta tu i do ghonai  i nDun na nGal, i  nUladh, in the North of Ireland, not the South, The Republic. As you see mo nGaeilge is a wee bit rusty haha. :D
                                                                           Slan for now, Apalachie.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

RabRow

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 04:45:35 PM »
OK I'll say British Ulster so as there is no confusion. :smile:  Anyway here is a wee clip about the brown cow. The Scots/Ulster-Scots are the only people still speaking a bit like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

doare.

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 08:06:51 PM »
that link, just about sums it all up rab,a lot of broon stuff. :D
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

RobRoy

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
that link, just about sums it all up rab,a lot of broon stuff. :D
;) ;) :D

RobRoy

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »

Once again you are away off the mark, As these Presidents were Ulster-Scots they would have conversed in English or maybe even Ulster Scots  :smile:
Rab houl on a minit, they claimed to have "IRISH" ancestry.
Aarrrggggghh, they were sticky spies sent to undermine the Brit US of A and arrived there by helicopters from that upside down L of a place further north!!!

RobRoy

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
Rab they couldn't have been ulster scots, the english could understand what they said!!! LoL

jemmy hope

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 01:06:31 AM »
RobRoy, now that you have established credentials as sectarian bigot, perhaps you can give reference to how much Irish you speak, or is just the odd go raigh maith agat?
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Sandgroper

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
Tá mé bródúil as Gaeilge Uladh fear ó na Seanchille. Ní féidir liom labhairt focal amháin de na gaeilge. An chuid is mó de na póstaeir Gàidhlig phost ach amháin chun a thaispeáint conas éagsúla atá siad.

SG

doare.

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 01:41:59 AM »
sandgroper, well done.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

Sandgroper

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »
sandgroper, well done.

doare something seems to have gone amiss with the translation. What I thought I said was,

"I am proud Irish Ulsterman from the Shankill . I can not speak one word of Gaelic. Most of the Gaelic  and Ulster Scots posters only post to show how different they are.  "

When I read the translation it now reads,

"I am proud Irish man from the Shankill Ulster. I can not speak one word of Irish. Most of the Scottish posters only post to show how different they are."

I was going to use the word pretentious but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Gaelic and Ulster Scots are about as useful in modern Ireland as Latin is in modern Italy and both should be relegated to the same musty rooms in libraries and universities as that illustrious dead language.

They are just another tool to drive a wedge between the people of Ireland.

Sg

Burnsy

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 05:28:42 AM »
I would agree 100% :good:
It's Nice to be Nice.!!