Author Topic: the fiesta and romanos in the early 60s  (Read 16350 times)

harrydunn

Re: the fiesta and romanos in the early 60s
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
Maxims was in Fountain Street.  Near the back of boots near Queens Arcade.  One way in and out and up stairs, if there had been  a fire, it would have been curtains, but there wasn't. :D

You would have been too young for the Fiesta Floral like myself. :D

Your'e not baiting me Bernie, i'm saying nuthing ;) ;) :smile:

McNamee

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Good boy.      :air_kiss:

grannyspice

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
 :smile: Perfect matches must have been made  in the Fiesta. Hubby and me met there also (after having worked together previously) and we have also been married almost 48 years

sj

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
My favourite place was the Astor and it didn't matter what night it was open as the crowd was always good.  I liked Wednesday night .  After it came the Romanos, and sometimes the Orpheus.   ;) Later Maxims became a great place to go and was really enjoyable. :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Astor

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
My favourite place was the Astor and it didn't matter what night it was open as the crowd was always good.  I liked Wednesday night .  After it came the Romanos, and sometimes the Orpheus.   ;) Later Maxims became a great place to go and was really enjoyable. :D

That was my favourite place too sj - hence my user name on here :D
Que Sera Sera

floral

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »

My favourite was the Floral Hall Astor, hence my user name on here as well

sj

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »

When I was still at college I would play or referee basketball after dinner on a Wednesday night and arrive late but it meant that I didn't hang about  .the Mc Mahon sister would keep my bag in the office for me but it seemed strange to pick up my sports bag after the dance. :scratch_ones_head:
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

darin

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
 harry that would be bill braniff , a we skitter saw him about 5 years ago or more down here . he a christan now. who would have thought. i probably was there that night as there was always a good crowd of us.  darin

harrydunn

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
harry that would be bill braniff , a we skitter saw him about 5 years ago or more down here . he a christan now. who would have thought. i probably was there that night as there was always a good crowd of us.  darin

You are right Darin he has been "good livin"over 30 years now one night I was walking down York St on my way to the train station when a car screeched to a halt and the driver another of our mates Jim Kelly jumped out his first words to me were, your not going to believe this!
this was the first i had heard of our the wee skitter, found it hard to believe but there you go.

rose60

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
Hi !  My husband left me home from the Fiesta 49 years ago - we have been married 43 years.

Just loved the Fiesta, went sometimes three times a week (that is if you were lucky enough to get a free ticket) other than that it was usually twice a week.  Everybody had their own wee place to stand, some Shankill girls stood at the bandstand, the Sandy Row boys and Grosvenor boys stood at the second pole from the far end, as did my friends. Everybody stood at the same wee spot each week. It was a big treat when a boy bought you an ice cream soda.  I remember going down about 5.30 or 6.00 p.m. and line up for tickets on a Saturday night  then we would get the bus home and get all dolled up and then go back to the dance.  Of all of the dance halls in Belfast that I went to, The Astor, Romanos, Boom Boom Room, The Youth Centre, the Orphesus, etc. the Fiesta was my favourite. Memories, Memories.

Yeah memories indeed ....My Hubby said he bumped into me one night inthe Fiesta but i dont remember ...couldnt have made a very good impression huh ... ha ha  .but 44yrs  later still together  .I  remember the girls always arrived first .. boys after a few drinks ...loved the little tables with wee lamps on them and yes ..phew you were the bees knees if a boy bought you a soft drink ...and the aim of the night was to be left home ....ahhhh  .remember walking round the town for the last bus home  about 12  i think ..maybe earlier ...Ohhh and what about ladies choice   gawd i was so shy i never had the courage to ask someone i fancied ....and girls danced together and boys just came over and started dancing beside you ....or if they a real gentleman they would say ...'are you getting up'' Last dance was always a slow one ...lights low ... :swoon:
You die if u worry u die if u dont so why worry

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
Rose60 - Very True!

jemmy hope

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 05:12:31 AM »
Anybody remember the characters that used to hang around the Fiesta, Gege Maguire and his hand made shoes, red-headed Mickey Rilley, Barney Ross. Good people all. Those were the days!
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

our bobby

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
the band in the fiesta were fantastic, we would hear a song on "Top of the Pops in the week and the band were playing it on Saturday night. I think the singer was Tony Morrelli ?

harrydunn

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
The Fiesta band in the 60s when i went to it was Trevor Jenkin's All Stars.

Astor

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »

My favourite was the Floral Hall Astor, hence my user name on here as well

Wise minds think alike Floral :good:
Que Sera Sera