Author Topic: Clonard area memories  (Read 190231 times)

rod

Clonard area memories
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
do you remember ,the shops on the corner of the Kashmir/clonard grds,the bookies lucknow street,the chippie crn of clonard grds.The little bakery called Turleys (i think) in the house in Oranmore street,the rebuilding of Bombay street.
If you do please share.R

brianmckeever

Re: Clonard area memories
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
do you remember ,the shops on the corner of the Kashmir/clonard grds,the bookies lucknow street,the chippie crn of clonard grds.The little bakery called Turleys (i think) in the house in Oranmore street,the rebuilding of Bombay street.
If you do please share.R

I roamed the town with Rosemary Maguire from Clonard Gardens---she had a brother Eugene.

ainejo1

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
sure  do  still living in there      little house bakery  turleys was in dunmore street     had my lumbering nights at the corner with the boy i loved so well       my mother wrote a lovely poem about the place and istill have a copy of it she loved clonard and all the great neighbours,     i could go on and on.....cheers! ::)

justluvbeingme

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »
welcome to theforum rod,
 I always loved clonard.  i remember when i was very young there was a shop at corner of kashmir road named graceys which sold everything,  there was a shop at corner of cawnpore street but it looked like a house. my granny owned the shop at the corner of kane st and kashmir road before i was born, it later became johns shop.  there was a little funny handle on the door like a spoon you pressed and it rang a bell as you opened the door,  the colin chippy was situated on the corner of springfield road and kashmir road, kitty greenans shop where i would buy black jacks at the corner of waterville st and clonard gdns, there was a chemist facing this , i think it was cosgroves but i may be wrong, troddens shop was beside that,  may hoeys shop at top of leoville st, frank stewards shop in oranmore st,  mickys shop and brennans in cawnpore st. think there was a few more. I still live close to here and now theres not a shop in sight.  we had a lamp post outside our door in leoville st and we would swing round it for hours. i have a few photographs i took before the new houses were built. i will look them out and post them later
jus
p.s. i hope that was not my boyfriend you were lumbering ainejo.

Astor

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
Hiya Jus - I remember a shop on the corner of Forth River Gardens, do you ;)   Know all that area very well, or at least I used to - have lovely memories still :good:
Que Sera Sera

Astor

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
I roamed the town with Rosemary Maguire from Clonard Gardens---she had a brother Eugene.

Rosemary Maguire rings a bell to me Brian, but it's a bit too late in the day for me to think too hard, but I'm sure I know her
Que Sera Sera

justluvbeingme

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »
Hiya Jus - I remember a shop on the corner of Forth River Gardens, do you ;)   Know all that area very well, or at least I used to - have lovely memories still :good:

yeah astor i remember your shop well. was in it many a time,  you would hardly know the place now. all been redeveloped. but lovely memories, yes
jus

Astor

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »

yeah astor i remember your shop well. was in it many a time,  you would hardly know the place now. all been redeveloped. but lovely memories, yes
jus

It breaks my heart to drive past it now when I'm home Jus, I did it once and never again  :(
Que Sera Sera

sean d

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:13:48 AM »
My aunt owned the shop on the corner of kasmir, facing the colin, she lived next door to the colin. she also owned the butchers at corner of dunmore st. another relative owned the little house shop in the middle of dunmore st. She was a mc,crory.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

doare.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 02:58:58 AM »
no one seems to remember the wee woman sat at the corner of odessa st, she was blind and had a tin cup she would hold out to passers by, looking for some help.i remember her when i would go to the monastery with my ma.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

rod

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:28 AM »
wow,these posts are fantasic.I can now picture some scenes in my mind and the brain cells start to work.The little shop on the crn of waterville street and clonard grns,I remember well,penny chewies and the like.The chemists shop,first stop for treatment the doctor or the Royal.

Boys/mens confraterity,and Fr mclaughlin (i think) at confession ,Scarey!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The soft summer nights when the local guys would sing on the street corner and all the women would sit on the steps or pull out a chair.God next thing I will be needing a Bundy and a hanky.

Some people I have met are shy about where they come from and what up bringing they have had,good luck to them.Me ,I am proud to say that for years I believed that all the best bed sheets had the sign of a wheat stalk printed on them.For those you dont know,bed sheets made out of flour sacks.

Ah, the simple life as a child,what a life for our parents.

Thank you to the posters, :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum: ,and thank you for your welcome,R

apalachie

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »
SURE DIDN,T OUR BLANKETS HAVE BUTTONS ON THEM,HAHA :D
Oh for all our yesterdays.

Sally Ann

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »
The laundrette at the corner of Kashmire Rd and Clonard Gardens.  My cousins lived in Kashmir Road, the Kings - all musical family.

Can't remember the name of the Barber at the corner of Cupar St? And below my relations house in Kashmir Road was a shoe mender - can't mind their name either.

I know it was Gallaghers who owned the Colin Chippy and they lived above the shop.

Chemist facing Clonard Monastery was MacGettigins (?)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

arder lavery

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
If you do please share.R
NEVER KNEW MUCH ABOUT CLONARD, BUT IN THE EARLY DAYS, OUR NEIGHBOURS ACROSS THE STREET MOVED TO CLONARD. IT WAS THE HANNAWAYS, KEVIN, DERMOT, TERRY AND THE MUM AND DAD. I WENT OVER A FEW TIMES TO MEET KEVIN, THEN LOST TRACK OF THEM. I READ IN A BOOK ONE TIME THAT THEY WERE RELATED TO GERRY ADAMS. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THEY ARE.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

zippy

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
I was an Altar Boy at Clonard and used to go there every Christmas Midnight Mass.
Thought i was great one year wearing my shiny new Oxford Brogues on the Altar until the big decorative star that hung over the altar fell down on top of us all.
Was the biggest reaction from the congregation in years!!
Pro deum et patria