Author Topic: Clonard area memories  (Read 190125 times)

Astor

Re: Clonard area memories
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
I was an Altar Boy at Clonard and used to go there every Christmas Midnight Mass.
Thought i was great one year wearing my shiny new Oxford Brogues on the Altar until the big decorative star that hung over the altar fell down on top of us all.
Was the biggest reaction from the congregation in years!!

Trust you Zippy  :D

I remember going to Clonard Monastery every Thursday night for the Novena to St Gerard Majella, absolutely loved going to it, and got so much out of it - those were the days :smile:   Of course we went to Mass there as well eve though our Parish would have been St Pauls as Clonard was nearer, it's a beautiful church.
Que Sera Sera

brianmckeever

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Rosemary Maguire rings a bell to me Brian, but it's a bit too late in the day for me to think too hard, but I'm sure I know her

A spunky wee girl--went to Rathmore and later Queens..
Last saw her when she was married and had just had her first baby...hardly knew what to say to her!!!!  She wasn't complaining---she hadn't a lot to say to me either!!

Astor

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »

A spunky wee girl--went to Rathmore and later Queens..
Last saw her when she was married and had just had her first baby...hardly knew what to say to her!!!!

I think she might have been friends with one of my sisters, must ask  next time I speak to any of them Brian. Did you ever live in Iris Street, I remember McKeevers from there.
Que Sera Sera

brianmckeever

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 10:53:44 AM »
I think she might have been friends with one of my sisters, must ask  next time I speak to any of them Brian. Did you ever live in Iris Street, I remember McKeevers from there.

The only people I knew in Iris Street---Patsy Milligan (Now Biddy Milligan?--who knows)---Ann Gregg   .. Never lived there ourselves.

Astor

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »
Don't recall them, I might be too old :scratch_ones_head: HEAVEN FORBID!!   Remember the McConvilles, McKeevers, McCabes, McGlones, Downeys, Campbells - my brother still has a shop at the foot of Iriss Street and Cavendish Street.
Que Sera Sera

brianmckeever

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
Maybe I'm remembering Iris Drive---from Gortfin Street.

Sally Ann

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
I was an Altar Boy at Clonard and used to go there every Christmas Midnight Mass.
Thought i was great one year wearing my shiny new Oxford Brogues on the Altar until the big decorative star that hung over the altar fell down on top of us all.
Was the biggest reaction from the congregation in years!!

OMG Zippy! ROFPML  :D   Do you think maybe someone was trying to tell you something!  ;) :girl_blum: :D
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

AL CAPONE

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 02:00:23 PM »
The laundrette at the corner of Kashmire Rd and Clonard Gardens.  My cousins lived in Kashmir Road, the Kings - all musical family.

Can't remember the name of the Barber at the corner of Cupar St? And below my relations house in Kashmir Road was a shoe mender - can't mind their name either.

I know it was Gallaghers who owned the Colin Chippy and they lived above the shop.

Chemist facing Clonard Monastery was MacGettigins (?)

The barbers opp Cupar st was owned by Dennis Killen

AL CAPONE

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
do you remember ,the shops on the corner of the Kashmir/clonard grds,the bookies lucknow street,the chippie crn of clonard grds.The little bakery called Turleys (i think) in the house in Oranmore street,the rebuilding of Bombay street.
If you do please share.R

Rod theres a great page on Facebook all about Clonard with loads of great photos, i'll dig out the link for you. great snaps of Bantry, Lucknow, Tralee,Kasmir rd etc..., spent all my yrs knocking about there loved it  :smile:

Sally Ann

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »

The barbers opp Cupar st was owned by Dennis Killen

:good: ;)   :girl_blum:

Hey Al, did you hear about my faux pas at the Forum Meet on Saturday??

Enters the Crown, ErinCypress shows out, as did BAM etc. Anyway this guy and his Mrs was talking to Erin, me thinking, as he stepped towards me,  he was part of the Forum and was about to introduce himself to moi!

Bucket bak here, say's as she threw her arms found him and kissed his cheeks,: "No need to tell me who you are, You're Al Capone, sure I'd know yer bak anywhere!"  Sez he, "Aye that's right love!" and aff he went to the loo.  Erin said, "Sally, that's just some fella we met who was standing her having a drink with his wife and we fell into conversation with them- He's not Al!"

Scundered or wat!?!?!? :blush2:  Turns out that he does a bit of a turn round the clubs - obviously why I knew his coupon! See me, I'm nuts!  :girl_crazy:

AL CAPONE

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
 :D  Cracker, He wasn't as good luckin as me i bet  ;)

Sally Ann

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
:D  Cracker, He wasn't as good luckin as me i bet  ;)

I can't say, I had my eyes closed when I was kissing him!  ;) :D

AL CAPONE

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
Ya dirtbird ye  :D

jonsondangelo

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »
Anyone remember the Clonard Martyrs Accordian Band? The youth club held in the hall next to St Galls - I lived in Waterville St...remember getting caught smoking outside the launderette...my ma took me home and made me eat the packet!!! didnt stop me though!

Trying to find some photos of the band....if you can help, please get in touch..

jonsondangelo

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
Does anyone remember Rosie Helicopter...used to roam around the street with a bottle of Bristol Cream??? Lovely old lady. Can't for the life of me remember her real name. I knew the Tohills from Bombay St, Elish and Joe Strong, Majo and Bernadette Johnson, and going to Mickey shop to buy whoppers!!