Author Topic: Clonard area memories  (Read 190230 times)

gismo

Re: Clonard area memories
« Reply #900 on: May 27, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
mc cormacks shop was on the corner of clonard gds and Kashmir rd on the right hand side the owner wore a shop coat similar to Ronnie barker I open all hours he would make ice lollies fro lemonade the best ones were sarsberalla  we had a lot of shops to choose from in the forties and fifties alas there all gone gismo

EmeraldEyes

« Reply #901 on: September 06, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »

This sounds like my great grandmother "Elizabeth colton (nee Murray) but she would be over 100yrs old if it were. Wondering if it's a descendent. My maiden name is Colton and I'm trying to find a resting place of my great grandparents who lived at both 54 north queen street and 28 north queen street in 1901. I can't find certificate of death nor cemetery. I wanted to bring flowers on my visit from the U.S.  to Belfast next week. I'm replying to post (reply) #411 page 29. Sorry I'm new to this site

carledgar

« Reply #902 on: November 26, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »
Haven't been on the site for a year or two but noticed the Clonard thread and thought I'd mention that the father of a mate of mine (in the mid 60s), Joseph Patrick Walsh, owned the Clonard Bar. I was living in a bedsit in Wolseley St at the time (just off University St or Ave, near Botanic ave.) Joe used to turn up on a Saturday night with a half bottle of whiskey in his pocket and off we'd go to a nurses' dance or the teachers' college up Stran or wherever there was a bit of a dance and the chance of discovering a new Cain and Abel. I also remember Eugene Greenan who worked n a carpet factory downtown. Joe knew a lot of bookies (I just remembered Paddy McCartan) so we'd spend at least one night a week at Celtic or Dunmore and if I won a few quid we'd go off to the Pig and Chicken (which I remember sort of vaguely). I was studying at the Marine Radio College on Eglantine ave close to the Lisburn Rd but jagged it in to go back to Canada (where my family had emigrated in the 50s) to get a BA in arts and parties.  I have to say that there were some pretty dissolute times back then; rather a lot of Guinness, Powers and pleasant young ladies with a bit of wit.

Raymond Connolly

« Reply #903 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »
Ggg

Deemc

« Reply #904 on: August 08, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »

Knew Charlie Caldwell and family very well.  Last I heard, Clare was running a catering business.  The 2 ladies were Mary Kelly and her sister, Lizzie and I remember Lizzie Campbell.   They were all great neighbours.

Can anyone give me more details on Lizzie Campbell, Her husbands name, family etc.
Thanks

Urs. JUDGE

« Reply #905 on: October 23, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
My dad lived on LUCKNOW STREET as a boy. His name TOMMY JUDGE. His mother and father's names were JAMES/JIMMY and MARGARET/PEGGY JUDGE. Sadly I don't have much more information than that. Please respond if anyone even remotely remembers anything about them.

Paula mc

« Reply #906 on: November 25, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Hi guys love reading the stories my father-in-law Brendan Ryan lived  in 23 Tralee street
Unfortunately none of the new streets were named Tralee st his father John Ryan was the window cleaner for clonard Brendan was born 1933 he went to st galls school and he often talked about his good friend pokey Marley.
Paula