Author Topic: Glenshesk Bar, King st, Belfast  (Read 5485 times)

jeano

Glenshesk Bar, King st, Belfast
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »
Anyone out there that drank here between 1966 and1974 get in touch.

brianmckeever

Re: Glenshesk Bar, King st, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
I only ever drank there once--about 1970.
There was a guy at the bar drinking alone==I had been told he was a cuckold.
And so I was never prompted to go back.

lar1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
My Granda and Granny drank there every Sat .Tommy and Winnie.

jeano

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »
My name is Noel Curley.

doare.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
i drank in there occasionally, mcentees also and cosgroves in the sixties and seventies early 70s, was in there on bloody friday, (mcintees) drank mostly in caldwells in castle st on week ends. my local was frank mcelhattons in durham st.your name is the same s the guy that owned the tv, radio shop?on divis st.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:20 AM »
no that is wrong actually, his name was grimley, there was a curley on divis st, had a 2nd hand shop beside dolans pub.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Bugsy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
Doare

McElhatton's was my local too.  We had a few jars in it one night and the next morning I went round to Tommy O'Reilly's for the paper and the pub had been knocked down!!!!  He never said a word the night before.

portlaoise1

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
    McElhatton never told anyone he was closeing are were he was going to because he did not to give anyone a Christmas drink it was a few days before Christmas that happened in 1977                                                                                                         
Doare

McElhatton's was my local too.  We had a few jars in it one night and the next morning I went round to Tommy O'Reilly's for the paper and the pub had been knocked down!!!!  He never said a word the night before.

doare.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
yes that would be john, played his cards close to his chest, i packed the booze in in 1975, so i missed that bit, was there one nite when 8 armed individuals came in with stockings over their heads and robbed it.smacked the bald barman , cant remember his name quiet guy, he was bleeding.t'was never a dull moment them days. lol

jeano

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »
It was John Mc Ilhatton. I worked for Bass, John asked me to do him a favour to deliver 4 kegs that he owed to Rodgers Pub. That was on the Friday. Saturday the pub was knocked down.

Bugsy

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
    McElhatton never told anyone he was closeing are were he was going to because he did not to give anyone a Christmas drink it was a few days before Christmas that happened in 1977                                                                                                         

33 years ago! Sweet Jesus where does it all go? 

toadstool999

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
I worked in the Tech. from 1968-1975 and we used to drink in there regularly. I remember one Friday around 6.00pm we were sitting there having a quiet pint or three when this woman walked in and stood looking around the bar. After a few seconds she strode over to a table in the corner where there was a group of men sitting. Without saying a word she reached over, picked up an empty bottle of the table and smashed it over the head of one of the men, she then turned around and walked out.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Sally Ann

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »
I worked in the Tech. from 1968-1975 and we used to drink in there regularly. I remember one Friday around 6.00pm we were sitting there having a quiet pint or three when this woman walked in and stood looking around the bar. After a few seconds she strode over to a table in the corner where there was a group of men sitting. Without saying a word she reached over, picked up an empty bottle of the table and smashed it over the head of one of the men, she then turned around and walked out.

Bet he got his wages home to her on time the next week!  ;) :D
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Sally Ann

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 11:58:44 PM »

Front Page, Donegal Street, - not that taxing on the aul brain.  Personnelly I always found him to be a decent enough man and nobodies mug for sure! ;)

Sally Ann

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
no that is wrong actually, his name was grimley, there was a curley on divis st, had a 2nd hand shop beside dolans pub.

Doare, was the lady's name Curley?  For some reason that's not ringing a bell with me, I do remember that her and her son lived above the shop. Apparently she had been a friend of my Granny and sometimes we still went round to visit her in her upstairs appartments - if that's what you'd call 'em! And she sometimes came round to our house for a cup of tea.

Considering Curley would be my married name, I still can't fit it to her.  Gawd isn't it awful when the aul grey matter starts to go!?!?  :swoon: ;) :D