Author Topic: Glenshesk Bar, King st, Belfast  (Read 5494 times)

justluvbeingme

Re: Glenshesk Bar, King st, Belfast
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
I worked in the Tech. from 1968-1975 and we used to drink in there regularly. I remember one Friday around 6.00pm we were sitting there having a quiet pint or three when this woman walked in and stood looking around the bar. After a few seconds she strode over to a table in the corner where there was a group of men sitting. Without saying a word she reached over, picked up an empty bottle of the table and smashed it over the head of one of the men, she then turned around and walked out.

that was funny toadstool. i know i'm goin a bit off thread but this reminds me of one time during the troubles a woman packed her husbands suitcase and opened the door of the pub at the bottom of clonard st, i think it was walshes, she threw his suitcase into the pub and shouts "stick that up yer [censored]" and everyone ran out of the pub thinking it was a bomb.
jus :smile:

Kathleen2

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »

that was funny toadstool. i know i'm goin a bit off thread but this reminds me of one time during the troubles a woman packed her husbands suitcase and opened the door of the pub at the bottom of clonard st, i think it was walshes, she threw his suitcase into the pub and shouts "stick that up yer [censored]" and everyone ran out of the pub thinking it was a bomb.
jus :smile:

:D
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

doare.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
bugsy, my local was the donard at the corner of pound st and milford st, i played in the dart team there, we would play the ponderosa, big terrys, and pascal ranaghans in ardmoulin st, some others in the docks area, it was the central league, then it was demolished , next was dolans at boundary st, and owen smiths at bath place not to mention the spanish rooms and the arkle inn, there was another mccauleys at corner of mc millins place, wee jimmy was a good dart player. 40 yrs has gone and fled, my da used to say" where did it all go?i used to think he was crazy, hahaha.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Bugsy

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 07:35:41 AM »
Doare - You must have a 'few' years on me.  :D  But seriously, I'm soon to be 51 and I'm already starting to think, 'where did it all go?'  I'm told that when you get really old it goes even quicker; is that true?  ;)

doare.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
bugsy, 51 u are still a wee lad, i had my last drink almost 36 yrs ago, 2 bob for a pint thats 10 pence,been drinking in that area since i was 18, 1960 that was. then they went and demolished it all. i remember the publican dan molloy talking all about the rezoning that was gonna take place, started early in millfield, then gradually the "big mill" went down. i worked in alexander st west in mc kenna mc ginleys then, watched them take down the big chimney first.it was the end of an era.all the pubs went, they opened the glengean in the flats.then hooks opened, then a few more shebeens.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Bugsy

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
Wee lad.  Love it! :D

bendoe

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
Drank there many a time owned by Gentleman Sean McKeown RIP great craic. Always
Eton? Yes an hour ago.

Mitcher

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
I drank in it as well on a regular basis.  I also drank in Mc Ilhattens and remember well the night he closed the bar and told nobody.

Jimmi

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »
Last time I was in it, it had morphed into the 3 Cs, I think @ 79/80. I was playing in a wee band, and our amps kept picking up the radio transmissions from the taxi depot on the other side of King St!
I once read that smoking and drinking were bad for you, so I gave up reading.

Bugsy

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »
Jimmi - Did you play the drums?

doare.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 08:58:58 AM »
jimmi u must have known hughie dargan?he was some craic...

drummer

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »
Yes i used to drink in the Glenshesk every friday night 1970-72,then into Romano's.Great times.
You only live once
but if you do it right
once is enough

feejeeks

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
I remember Hughie Dargan[Slate St]well.He was walking down the Grosvenor one night with his guitar case over his shoulder and the Brits stopped him.They asked him what was in the Case and he said it,s a machine gun and the Brit said thank Christ we thought it was a guitar

CrinkleCut

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
My Da drank there Joe O'Brien and his mate Davey white around 1965-69 :o