Author Topic: Belfast Co-op  (Read 7775 times)

John Harvest

Re: Belfast Co-op
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
Me too Shazbar, great memories  :) 
The shoe department used to have a machine for measuring the size of kid's feet.
Jeez Astor, I might have once walked in your footsteps.  :)

Belfastloon

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
On the walls of one of the buildings nearby that, on the same side of the street, going in the direction of Royal Avenue, there were some holes in the wall on the stonework on the frontage of one of the buildings.

I asked what they were, and I was told that they were bullet holes from the Blitz that were caused by the German bombers machine gunning the streets.

I thought that it was just a tall tale, but apparently it wasn't.

I never noticed or cant remember the bullet holes I would not have realised what they were.
But I am glad someone else shares the same memories.
Thanks

Zulu95

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
Santa's grotto in the co. Magical for me as a child. I still have the photos.

I remember queing for what seemed like an eternity to see Santa and getting a cheap, poorly wrapped present not worth half the 5/- (five bob) paid for the pleasure. The line moved up an old back staircase that, in memory, was dark and cold. Then at the top you entered the magical, warm grotto on the way to see the man himself.
This would have been the late 50's or early 60's when life seemed much simpler because we only had one or two TV channels.  :D

smcgirr

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
I remember queing for what seemed like an eternity to see Santa and getting a cheap, poorly wrapped present not worth half the 5/- (five bob) paid for the pleasure. The line moved up an old back staircase that, in memory, was dark and cold. Then at the top you entered the magical, warm grotto on the way to see the man himself.
This would have been the late 50's or early 60's when life seemed much simpler because we only had one or two TV channels.  :D

The O0 O0 good old days Zulu
By the time a man can read women like a book 

His library card has already expired.

Zulu95

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »

The O0 O0 good old days Zulu

I think it is in the nature of memory that we always look back on "better" times.  No matter when it is the "older" generation always seems to think their childhood was, in so many ways, more idyllic than those of the one or two generations who follow them.
Then we have the other type: "I remember walking two miles, uphill, in the snow every day to school and then we had to walk two miles, uphill, in the snow home again"    :D

tboy

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »
I never noticed or cant remember the bullet holes I would not have realised what they were.
But I am glad someone else shares the same memories.
Thanks
It was the entrance to the Belfast Telegraph building. As kids in the late fifties and early sixties we were fascinated by the plaque explaining that they were caused by 'enemy aircraft'    years later there were bullet holes everywhere. :)

Astor

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »
The shoe department used to have a machine for measuring the size of kid's feet.
Jeez Astor, I might have once walked in your footsteps.  :)

Maybe so John lucky you  ;)  BUT did you have elocution lessons there as well like me/us - how I remember "How Now Brown Cow" and "The rain In Spain..."   :)

My dad who was from Cavan remembers the long walks to school IN HIS BARE FEET!!!!
Que Sera Sera

Belfastloon

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Maybe so John lucky you  ;)  BUT did you have elocution lessons there as well like me/us - how I remember "How Now Brown Cow" and "The rain In Spain..."   :)

My dad who was from Cavan remembers the long walks to school IN HIS BARE FEET!!!!

I missed the elocution lessons was that a joke?

Think you line in the footer about "never judge a man until you have walked in his shoes" is so true.

Astor

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »
I missed the elocution lessons was that a joke?

Think you line in the footer about "never judge a man until you have walked in his shoes" is so true.

No it wasn't a joke, we were actually sent to elocution lessons upstairs in the co-op when we were quite young, I can't tell you much we hated going lol - Happy Christmas  :)
Que Sera Sera

McNamee

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
I went to elecution as well Astor, but not to the Co-op.  We went to a place in Welington Place, and like yourself I hated it. >:D Altho I do think we benefited from it....Don.t you.  :D

Astor

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
I went to elecution as well Astor, but not to the Co-op.  We went to a place in Welington Place, and like yourself I hated it. >:D Altho I do think we benefited from it....Don.t you.  :D

Yes darling, one does benefit from a few Brown Cows now and then lol!  Happy Christmas Bernie, just going out for another Christmas Dinner, not enough days in the week  this time of year  :D
Teresa
Que Sera Sera

McNamee

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
Lucky you, having it made for you.....I have just had Silverside, Cauliflower cheese, brussel sprouts and spuds and gravy.  Made with my own fair hands... :D

Painter coming to-morrow, so now have to clear the kitchen...

Enjoy your dinner and remember "A moment on the lips,a lifetime on the hips"  :)

We don't want to be including you in our Obesity thread.  :-* :-*

John Harvest

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Elocution lessons in the Co,...astonishing !, never heard that one before. Offered by the Co, or just given ( by whom ) in rooms rented from the Co. ? Sent there by whom, and why, by parents or an official body. ? I taught that how now brown cow and rain in Spain technique to a Sri Lankan guy recently and he thought it was hilarious.

John Harvest

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
Maybe so John lucky you  ;)  BUT did you have elocution lessons there as well like me/us - how I remember "How Now Brown Cow" and "The rain In Spain..."   :) My dad who was from Cavan remembers the long walks to school IN HIS BARE FEET!!!!
No, never needed them, never even knew that they were available, and I can do a very passable upper crust English accent. Most people these days don't realise how recently that sort of deprivation was a commonplace norm for so many people.

John Harvest

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
It was the entrance to the Belfast Telegraph building. As kids in the late fifties and early sixties we were fascinated by the plaque explaining that they were caused by 'enemy aircraft'    years later there were bullet holes everywhere. :)
I don't remember the plaque, but tboy is spot on about that,...thankyou tboy,... this is it...
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/45/55/1455518_f4bb6cd8.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/50/94/1509425_4b8119ab.jpg

http://ww2ni.webs.com/100_1007.jpg