Author Topic: CLARKE-BURNS family of Belfast & Lurgan  (Read 2430 times)

eburch

CLARKE-BURNS family of Belfast & Lurgan
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:40:39 PM »
My great grandfather was Charles Clarke, a ship's finishing carpenter who lived in Lurgan, Portadown and Belfast. Died in Belfast, 1932, age 82. Parents were James Clarke and Jane Hayes. Charles was married twice: Agnes Docherty (ca 1853-ca 1889) by whom he had 2 sons, Alexander (ca 1882-1944) and Samuel (ca 1884-1936); and Mary Burns by whom he had 8 children, my grandmother, Jane Eliza, the eldest being born in Belfast 22 June 1891. All the children born to Mary Burns came to Canada.

Mary Burns was the daughter of Edward Burns and Jane McAllister and was living in Lurgan at the time of her marriage. No dates. Mary was born in 1870.  Edward Burns owned and operated horse-drawn lighters on the Lagan River.

I know nothing else about Agnes Docherty except that she had a nephew, Harry Docherty living in Belfast in 1936.  I am looking for anyone who can build on this little bit of information.  I am also looking for anyone with knowledge of the Clarke, Burns or McAllister families.

Christopher

Re: CLARKE-BURNS family of Belfast & Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:59:27 PM »
Hiya eburch,

I found a couple of guys named Charles Clarke who signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912

Charles Clarke, 35, Hanna Street,  Belfast

Charles Clarke, 14, Beggs Street, Belfast

I had a look at a site about the Coalisland Canal and was interested to learn that the horse drawn barges took three days to haul a load of merchandise from there to Belfast. Horses drawing barges from Lisburn to Belfast would probably have taken the best part of a day.

Best Wishes, Christopher 

eburch

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »
My Charles Clarke was born at Saintfield about 1851.  His parents were James Clarke and Jane Hayes.  (James Clarke was an estate gardener and may have worked for Lord Lurgan.)  Charles was living on Forman Ave. in Belfast in 1891; in Lurgan in 1892; at 6 Church St. in Portadown in 1894 and back in Belfast from 1896 onwards.  Belfast addresses from then until his death in 1932 include:  1 Mary St., 10 Little Victoria St., #35 & #11 Craigmore St. and 27 Little Charlotte St.

Edward Burns operated his lighters on the Lagan River between Lough Neagh and Belfast.  He emigrated to the USA (probably New York) after his wife died, but the year is not known.  Two of his children (Lizzie & George) also went to the USA, probably as young adults and not necessarily with their father.  One daughter, Jane, lived or worked at the Lurgan Court House, ca 1910-1912.  She operated a tea room and spelled her last name as "Byrne(s)."

I have been unable to find additional information about any of these people or their descendants.

Anthony

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 10:13:27 PM »
Hi

eburch

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:52:43 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Could you please elaborate?  Where did you find that information?

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 01:23:06 AM »
Hiya eburch,

There is a thread on this Genealogy board showing who has the various Directories of Belfast and the Province of Ulster. People wanting to know more about their ancestors in the nine counties of the Province of Ulster should check the thread and if there is a suitable directory available send a personal message to the person who has that particular directory. In this instance Anthony was able to give you some information as he has a 1900 directory. Unfortunately the only place where the directories give the names of householders is Belfast. In all other places they give the names of the traders in the various towns but not the householders.

Best Wishes, Christopher