Author Topic: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.  (Read 114130 times)

doare.

Re: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
no i mean cecil magee in winetavern st, i used to buy homer beans from him, up on the right just opposite the handcart yard, i remembere something else too i think young paddy was paddys brothers son, i think his brother was sean, and do you remember christie?he was nice guy also, young paddy was a bit of a terror when he was young. there was another family along on millfield they were gassed by the street light coming in their bedroom, the da survived it, the figured he wasnt breating deeply because he had a broken nose, maybe did some boxing, although broken noses were fairly common then, lol i remember the young kid who was gassed, he was plump and had real curly blond hair.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

boxer1949

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
i knew harry was killed, and i was familiar with billy, as we called him, they both frequented st marys in coars lane,really liked them both, harry was great craic, used to come and visit me when i was doing a security job for mc kenna & mc ginleys when it was on the falls at northumberland st.we would yarn for a while.i was in the same ward as the older brother cant remember his name, when he was moved into the side ward and died.(jimmy? )
Hughie was his name lived with mother in Brown St 

St.Anthony

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
Hughie was his name lived with mother in Brown St

Boxer I think there is crossed wires, Doare was talking about Willie McGranns Brother.   Paddy McMahon also had a brother called Harry. He was killed in a bomb attack on the Avenue Bar in Union Street in 1976.  I think you may also referring to Hughie Crothers who lived with his mother Jane in Brown Street.
Paddy's mother lived in the houses on Millfield almost facing Brown street, with the half doors, with steps leading down from the street.
Doare, Jackie Campbell's family were poisioned by the gaslamp outside their bedroom window.
I believe Jackie was a boxer at one time.  He kept his childrens toys in the window like a shrine to them.

St.Anthony

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
Doare, I remember Magee's living next door to Molly Murphy's shop. The father was Joe and I see him regular. I believe his father lived there also and his name was Harry.

boxer1949

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »

Boxer I think there is crossed wires, Doare was talking about Willie McGranns Brother.   Paddy McMahon also had a brother called Harry. He was killed in a bomb attack on the Avenue Bar in Union Street in 1976.  I think you may also referring to Hughie Crothers who lived with his mother Jane in Brown Street.
Paddy's mother lived in the houses on Millfield almost facing Brown street, with the half doors, with steps leading down from the street.
Doare, Jackie Campbell's family were poisioned by the gaslamp outside their bedroom window.
I believe Jackie was a boxer at one time.  He kept his childrens toys in the window like a shrine to them.
Your right was Hughie Crothers he used to drink with Harry McGrann my mines going yeah Jackie end up get burned to death in the same house

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »

The fighting McCafferty's came from Francis Street in Smithfield. Sean and Terry fought the best, Sean represented Ireland in the 1964 Olympics in Toyko. Sean is pictured beating favourite Rafael Carboneil from Cuba.

doare.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
hughie crothers lived in letitia st , he played snooker with harry close in st marys lived with his mother, whitey campbell and eddie, lived there also , and calhouns, rabbie, louie doyle and a few others, anyone remember "dindo" whitey was bubbly dans brother. i drank with all those guys, also wee harry "the mouth" russell...i worked with terry  mccafferty in greeves mill.there were 2 brothers mc mahons. ownie and christie, i think paddy (young) was their cousin, old paddy the iron man had a brother named sean,
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
i remember an "oul doll" in francis st she sat outside on achair smoking a clay pipe, she was really old, there aws lodging houses on millfield then facing francis st, slightly diagonal to it, that was before they renovated the church and put the cross on the tower, and before the polytech was built, we played there it was known as "the dam," also one part was called the starchyard, all along there was a "creek" behind wordies.

kevben

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
the mr and mrs campbell who were killed with big harry were sammy and colette,sammy "tootsy "campbell was my ma,s brother

St.Anthony

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
hughie crothers lived in letitia st , he played snooker with harry close in st marys lived with his mother, whitey campbell and eddie, lived there also , and calhouns, rabbie, louie doyle and a few others, anyone remember "dindo" whitey was bubbly dans brother. i drank with all those guys, also wee harry "the mouth" russell...i worked with terry  mccafferty in greeves mill.there were 2 brothers mc mahons. ownie and christie, i think paddy (young) was their cousin, old paddy the iron man had a brother named sean,

I've never known Hughie Crothers to have lived in Letitia Street but he may have before my time. The Mill Dam is covered over now. It was part of the Farset River. The Ironman had Brothers, Harry, Owen, Hugh, Christie and I'll take your word for Sean also.  He has a son called Sean and had a nephew with the same name.

St.Anthony

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

Some of the McCafferty's and Bobby Downey. Downey and McCafferty's lived in the same house if memory serves me right.

St.Anthony

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »

St.Anthony

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »

boxer1949

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »

I've never known Hughie Crothers to have lived in Letitia Street but he may have before my time. The Mill Dam is covered over now. It was part of the Farset River. The Ironman had Brothers, Harry, Owen, Hugh, Christie and I'll take your word for Sean also.  He has a son called Sean and had a nephew with the same name.
I worked with Sean at the roofing what a nice guy he was, he lived in the Short Strand

boxer1949

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »