Author Topic: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.  (Read 114129 times)

boxer1949

Re: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »

doare.

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
could be right about crothers, i cant see him living in brown st, maybe wilson st, i worked in mckelvey & sinclairs then , and knew joe cahoon and robbie and sarah, and wee harry "the mouth" we used to drink in conlons corner of francis st. they are great pics of the mccaffertys, we used to raid the gateway in francis st, that was where they kept their tyres for the bonfire in august.eddie campbell and his brother whitey were good craic too, and wee harrys brother was a very friendly intelligent guy too think he was called rab?brown st was a loyalist area, lol although i never was bothered once going back and forth to work.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

St.Anthony

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »

Jimmy (Butterfly) Adams, wife Betty and daughter Peggy in Old Smithfield Market

St.Anthony

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
could be right about crothers, i cant see him living in brown st, maybe wilson st, i worked in mckelvey & sinclairs then , and knew joe cahoon and robbie and sarah, and wee harry "the mouth" we used to drink in conlons corner of francis st. they are great pics of the mccaffertys, we used to raid the gateway in francis st, that was where they kept their tyres for the bonfire in august.eddie campbell and his brother whitey were good craic too, and wee harrys brother was a very friendly intelligent guy too think he was called rab?brown st was a loyalist area, lol although i never was bothered once going back and forth to work.

Brown Street was actually mixed at the bottom end anyway.  The houses below Boyd Street and the ones opposite were all occupied by catholics, including the Crothers, who later moved across the street.  The last Catholic families to leave Brown Street was around late 1990's.

St.Anthony

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
Wilson Street was also mixed again with the bottom end near Millfield being catholic and the top towards Sackville Street/ Brown square protestant.

St.Anthony

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »

The well known Smithfield trader Mary Flood.

St.Anthony

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

Jimmy Doherty with John Clancy in Clancy's bookshop in the Haymarket 2000.  Jimmy was an Air Raid Warden during "the Blitz" he wrote a book about the blitz and another about the picture Houses in Belfast.

St.Anthony

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »

Some of the Old Smithfield traders after the fire that destroyed the "Old Smithfield Market"

St.Anthony

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »

doare.

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
st anthony and boxer, great pics, i knew that about the millfield end being catholic, there was a savage lived facing mc kelveys yard in wilson st, they were catholics.great pic of john clancy i know him quite well also.he has one of my paintings , he sent a pic of it on here through another member.i just remembered the wee man lived in letitia st always pushed a handcart, left it in the st at night.mrs flood her husband was quite a character, was it sean?
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

St.Anthony

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Doare, I went to St. Anthony's with the Savages. There were twins Peter and Kevin. They were cousins of Russells who lived at the corner.  They moved to west Rock after their mother died.
I and a friend Alex Murphy (RIP) held a photographic exhibition on Millfield/Smithfield in 2000. I have hundreds of photos and exhibits.