Author Topic: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.  (Read 118507 times)

St.Anthony

Re: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Doare, I provided John with a number of photos for a book he is writing on Smithfield. I believe he first worked for Harry Hall's in Old Smithfield before later opening his own book store.  It was closed down 2/3 years ago because he owed rates to the council.

doare.

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »
st anthony i met hannah their mother one time on a bus run to blackrock, run by mcinerneys she was from the south, nice lady her husband had bad health( john?)there also was a girl was it briege?those were the days in the early sixties. i think john had his own store in smithfield before he moved into gresham st one.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

St.Anthony

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »

Central Picture house

St.Anthony

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
Doare, I think the daughter's name was Maeve, however there was a briege Cunningham that lived in Letitia Street at that time.

doare.

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »
great pic of the central, many a show i watched in there. loved the alhambra as well. it had a bar.you dont remember "dindo" one of his neighbours was telling me abot during the blitz, he ran up the street yelling "get into the house quick, they are dropping big iron things"hahaha he lived with his ma, she looked like him, he was a wee bit simple, had a kind of a lisp, wore a dexter do you remember them? lol he lived around wilson st.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

boxer1949

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
great pic of the central, many a show i watched in there. loved the alhambra as well. it had a bar.you dont remember "dindo" one of his neighbours was telling me abot during the blitz, he ran up the street yelling "get into the house quick, they are dropping big iron things"hahaha he lived with his ma, she looked like him, he was a wee bit simple, had a kind of a lisp, wore a dexter do you remember them? lol he lived around wilson st.
The Alhambra had three bars  :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :dance:

St.Anthony

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »

The late Tommy Lennon

St.Anthony

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 04:28:09 PM »

Joe Kavanagh's 1950.  I see there is a " bear faced " robber in that pic :D

gismo

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2010, 04:48:34 PM »
 hii knew jimmy dohertys two daughters veronica and phyllis two very nice girls. at this time i hung around the antrim rd they lived in vincinage pk ,phylls worked in the sanmareno cafe facing st mals jimmy had a furnituere shop on the crumlin rd .gismo

St.Anthony

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
I videoed an interview with Jimmy in John Clancy's book store in 2000. 

doare.

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
yes the alhambra had 3 floors, or balconies, the coliseum had the same, i had some of my early driks in those places, they didnt have draught, colly had big holyroods, alhambra had large bottles of guiness.i remember that bear in smithfield wow that took me back, all the men there wearing dexters. i was in johns bookstore a few yrs back, and george flemings book was on sale, he and i both know george. it is about magennis the guy who won the v.c. in the last war. he sold it to joe cavanagh, and joe held on to it and gave it back to the family i believe.

St.Anthony

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »

(Jimmy ?) McGarvey selling off some of his salvaged goods from the fire that destroyed old Smithfield

St.Anthony

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »
The tall building in both photos was the Grand Central Hotel

maggiemay

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
My Father was born in 15 Francis Street,His cousin Charlotte had a fruit stall at one end of Smithfield another cousin Jim Conlon had a furniture shop in Smithfield
My Father never missed a Saturday going there.
Maggiemay

St.Anthony

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »

Maggiemay, Would this be the furniture shop you mention? I think there was another Conlon's at the other end facing Ernie Mahony's.
Was Charlotte's fruit stall facing Madden's Bar/Marquis Street?