Author Topic: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.  (Read 115681 times)

St.Anthony

Re: Who do you know from the Smithfield area of Belfast.
« Reply #630 on: August 20, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »
Image result for Photos of Old Smithfield Belfast

St.Anthony

« Reply #631 on: July 17, 2019, 12:55:15 AM »
Former residents of Old Smithfield and friends. want to send our condolences to Pat, Angel and Brenda on the sad news tonight that their beloved mother, Annie Torley ( Fields) has passed away at her home in Winetavern Street. Funeral arrangements will be posted when available.[/font][/size]
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, closeup

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Stickinout

« Reply #632 on: July 17, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
there was mc caffertys in francis st, terry died a while back rip, ask boxer in "every black and white pic tells a story, he knows them mc caffertys, sean was a useful boxer, I worked with terry in greeves mill in the fifties, good luck.
[/quote
Doare you lived in Millfield as I also did until they kicked us out in 1959 to build the tech, went to St Anthonys and Barney, knew the Downey's, McCaffertys and Jimmy Johnson who used to breed budgies, Rosie Harper, the Crilleys, Russell's, Rooney's the grandad had pigeons, Dido, Rab, to name a few, wondering who you are and where in Millfield did you live, played in Rosie Harper's Rag Store, at the top of Millfield, Divis Street end lived Pasha McCaffrey, teddy boy, lived with his mother, would love to know who you are?
Cheers

Stickinout

« Reply #633 on: July 17, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
Quote from: JEANJEANNIE link=topic=34216.msg804825#msg80482
5 date=1295393712
Paddy Conway who, if I'm not mistaken, died in a drowning accident in Cyprus I'm late 1950s early 1960s R I P

Stickinout

« Reply #634 on: July 17, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »
Cassie was my mum's best friend R I P.

Cassie Conway and grandson 1956 ( I hated wearing dresses and wee petticoats) lol

Stickinout

« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
hi, I think the mccafferys st Anthony is talking about are from francis st, 2 of the brothers were boxers, one terry, died fairly recently. they could have moved to glengormley for sure, boxer who does the pics of old Belfast, he or st Anthony knows a lot about them.
Doare, the Cafferys St Anthony was talking about was correct, Pasha, lived there with his mother who had Parkinson's I think, he was called Pasha as he smoked it during the war, his real first name was Joseph or Josie as he was often called

Stickinout

« Reply #636 on: July 17, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
Hi Doare, just noticed someone made a comment about the Cafferys, sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart ass just didn't see it. The McCaffertys lived above the Downey's at the bottom of Francis Street, Mickey Downey was a good friend as was Martin McCafferty

derdrei

« Reply #637 on: July 19, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »

Who remembers the BUS BAR
remember it well.

harrison

« Reply #638 on: July 19, 2019, 04:57:28 PM »
Carmel Johnson lived Smithfield Square Manny Sterling lived 8 Garfield Street he worked at post office.

Stickinout

« Reply #639 on: July 21, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
Carmel Johnson lived Smithfield Square Manny Sterling lived 8 Garfield Street he worked at post office.
Hi Harrison, any more information on Carmel Johnson? I would love to know, many thanks
 :P

Silva

« Reply #640 on: November 16, 2019, 07:26:00 PM »
I had a good friend  Called Jackie Nolan who lived with his Granny in Winetavern St  ,I think in later years he went to live in Chicago in the States but don't anything else about him these days ,I would like to He would be in his Eighties now.

Hi anyone able to help me out, James and Maggie Gilmore lived at 37 winetavern at.
As far as I know, Jackie Nolan was born in 1929 and was Maggie's nephew. His mother was Annie Nolan. James Gilmore was a hairdresser/ barber . On Maggie's death certificate her other nephew was present, he was Thomas Nolan from 6 Strathroy park 1958. Anyone knew them or have photos. Thanks in advance.

GandT

« Reply #641 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
Was just glancing at this and was reminded of many happy days working in McAlevey's bookies in Winetavern Street which was then their head office. Some staff there at the time - just in case any of them or relatives read this - Jimmy Anderson [Manager]; Billy Campbell [clerk and arithmetical genius]; Gerry Annesley [Markets as well I think]; Jimmy McGlade; John McAllister {head office]; Peter Nicholl [owner]; Tommy Morrison; Jackie Morrison. Also Berry Street [Hughie Russell, manager]. All human life was between Winetavern Street, Berry Street, Crown Entry - busy places, good people and good times!

St.Anthony

« Reply #642 on: November 21, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »

You are right, my uncle Paddy did die in a drowning accident on Hollow Een 1959 in Cyprus. He and a number of others lost their lives while swimming in the sea. They were serving in the Irish Guards at the time.[size=78%]

Stickinout

« Reply #643 on: November 21, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

You are right, my uncle Paddy did die in a drowning accident on Hollow Een 1959 in Cyprus. He and a number of others lost their lives while swimming in the sea. They were serving in the Irish Guards at the time.[size=78%]
That you John? If so it's your Uncle, drop me a PM

St.Anthony

« Reply #644 on: November 24, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
That you John? If so it's your Uncle, drop me a PM
Stickinout, I don't think so, I only have 3 living uncles and one is in Australia and 2 live in Belfast. Paddy was my mother's brother.  The Telegram boy handed my elder brother the telegram to give to my granny saying Paddy was missing.