Author Topic: SMALLEST PUB IN BELFAST  (Read 27315 times)

breenbox

Re: SMALLEST PUB IN BELFAST
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »
Anyone remember a tiny bar in 'the markets' .. for some reason 'The Grand' sticks in my mind.
Any info appreciated.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

mauram

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »
The Grand was in Joy Street and was owned by Jimmy Swail a real gentleman with a lovely family. Brendan O Gorman was barman in the sixties and seventies.

doare.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »
carson owned one on the cullingtree rd, i think the corner of scotch st.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

breenbox

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
The Grand was in Joy Street and was owned by Jimmy Swail a real gentleman with a lovely family. Brendan O Gorman was barman in the sixties and seventies.
Thanks for that Mauram, used to have a drink there in the early 70's when I worked in central Belfast.. nice friendly bar.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

boxer1949

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
Remember me and 3 mates going into his pub and he said to me your too young i was the oldest of the four of us 19, what i remember of it very was small pub dirtying looking hole

bobdenn

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »

road hog

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
mauram,you must remeber the hay market bar on the corner of Annette st and Turnley st, it sure was small
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Leviathan

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
It was the Glass Jar.. I used to drink in it all the time. The barman was a sketch, and used to let us pull our own pints after a while.

portlaoise1

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »
Charlie McCurry when Blink McCluskey the bookie lost all is money it was Charlie McCurry that bailed him out.                                                                                                               
By the way McCurry's Bar at the corner of Baker st was tiny. Anyone remember it?

chink

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
ha nrattys bottom of hawthorn st also known as the wee house  still has an outside toilet and one room the size of a small living room  but apparently do lovely pints

desi

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

Hello Doare ,Frank carson was the last owner of the GAELIC BAR CULLINGTREE RD and BOW ST .
By the way thats my oul house next door to the bar .
JUSTICE FOR THE BALLYMURPHY 11.

doare.

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
desi, manys a late night "carry out we had from there i knew it was cullingtree rd but which down street? was not sure, was always too dark, lol
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

mauram

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »
mauram,you must remeber the hay market bar on the corner of Annette st and Turnley st, it sure was small
No sorry Im a Falls Road girl but married to a market man who lived close to The Grand all his family drank in there and so did I when we started going out together early 70`s.  Paddy Hynses was my local.

doare.

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
used to deliver booze to paddy hynes, and scullions and the felons and lots of bars on the falls, also the liam mellowes club in the market, short strand all over during the late sixties and early seventies.the west club when it was beside the clonard picture house. we used to get a drink in nearly every bar, lol some would give u a packet of cigs, or a bowl of soup, hahaha. the glenowen also.

tboy

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
one would get a 'pint' for carrying out the most menial of services to a public house in Belfast, in London a man could refurbish the building and still not be set up a 'drink'