Author Topic: Smyth Family History  (Read 7273 times)

James Smyth

Smyth Family History
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
Hi my father was Robert William Smyth Born 19/4/1898 somewhere off the Shankil Rd.He had 2 brothers John and isaac and 2 sisters Maggi and ?I am trying to find some info on his Parents etc.I think his fathers name was Samuel Smyth. Dont know his mothers name. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you Jim

kingskerswell

Re: Smyth Family History
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
James,
        They seem to be in the 1911 census, www.census.nationalarchives.ie living in Broadbent Street, Court DED,Co.Antrim. I noticed that they are Methodists and the parents had been married for 20 years.
I then found that Samuel Smyth married Susanna Edgar in Agnes St. Methodist Church, Shankill, Belfast on 5 Sept 1891.

Regards

James Smyth

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:08 AM »
Thank you Kingskerswell,
                                That sounds like my Grandparents alright.Now i'm on the right track.
                          Regards     James

JimG

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
The 1901 census appears to have them at 73 in Marvue Street (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
with Samuel born Newtowanards, Susanna was Susan born Coleraine,
the children list was Susan, Maggie, Isaac, William,  John
good luck going backwards Jim

James Smyth

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:08 AM »
Thank You JimG,     Much appreciated.
            Regards James

James Smyth

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Hi Kingskerwell,
                   Can you tell me where you found the marriage details of Samuel Carson Smyth and Susanna.Please.
                                    Thank you James

kingskerswell

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
Hi,
   It was found in a subscription site, Emerald Ancestors. Using Ancestry Ireland, a pay-to-view site, it is possible to find the fathers' names for free. They were Isaac Smyth and Thomas Edgar.

Regards

apalachie

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
Hi kingskerwell, When you find a marriage on those sites does it give the addresses were the bride and groom were married from eg their respective parents homes which would normally be the case, any info would be much appreciated, Thank you.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

kingskerswell

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi,
   Unfortunately not. You would need to get the marriage certificate to get the addresses or see the church register.

Regards

apalachie

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Thank you very much kingskerswell for your prompt response.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

maria emerson-smith

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
James
Providing some of the information in your post - including the replies you got are correct - we may be connected. My gandfather was robert william edgar smyth - born in belfast in 1989. He was married to matilda mcmurray and she died in childbirth in 1943. They lived at 21 moscow street - just off the shankill.
robert then re-married.
roberts parents were; samuel smyth and susanna edgar around the 1870s.
coming back to robert - he had several children with matilda; one of which was my father - malcolm smyth. other children included; george, william, mildred, david, albert, etc.
please email me if this sounds familiar

bobdenn

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »

Mr. William Smyth desires to return his thanks to the many kind friends who sympathised with him in his recent sad bereavement, especially the neighbours of Moscow Street and Springmount Street district and all other many kind friends who sent floral tributes.  Trusting this acknowledgment of gratitude will be accepted by all - 21 Moscow Street

www.lennonwylie.co.uk/old_newspaper_clippings1.htm+%22Mr.+William+Smyth+desires+

bobdenn

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »

Matilda Smyth burial details:-

Record details

Name of deceased

Matilda Smyth

Last place of residence

Jubilee Maternity Hospital, Lisburn Rd (21 Moscow Street)

41 Years

Sex

Date of death

18 March 1943

Date of burial

20 March 1943

Cemetery

Dundonald Cemetery

Grave section and number

F6 265

Burial type

Earth Burial

maria emerson-smith

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »
thank you so much for this. aparently matilda died in childbirth - but icant find any record of the baby. and robert re-married but i cant find anything on his 2nd marriage or his death. :)

bobdenn

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
thank you so much for this. aparently matilda died in childbirth - but icant find any record of the baby. and robert re-married but i cant find anything on his 2nd marriage or his death. :)

Maria,

If you notice on the newspaper clipping, he is calling himself William. He would probably have called himself William in any subsequent marriage.

Matilda was only 41 when she died, so there is a strong possibility that she died in childbirth.

If the baby was born dead, then he/she may well have been buried in the same coffin as Matilda but not necessarily officially recorded.

:)