Author Topic: Smyth Family History  (Read 7277 times)

CMcG

Re: Smyth Family History
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
Samuel Smyth / Susanna Edgar marriage:

Date Of Marriage       05/09/1891Husband Firstname       SAMUELHusband Surname      SMYTHHusband Townland / Street   86 CROSGROVE STHusband Occupation       PAINTERHusband Age         FAHusband Denomination       MethodistHusband Marital Status   Widower (Male)Husband Father Firstname    ISAACHusband Father Surname    SMYTHHusband Father Occupation    WINDERHusband Mother Firstname    Husband Mother Surname    Husband Witness Firstname    ISAACHusband Witness Surname    SMYTHWife Firstname       SUSANNAWife Surname         EDGARWife Townland / Street   LEWIS STWife Occupation       Wife Age         FAWife Denomination       MethodistWife Marital Status      Spinster (Previously unmarried)Wife Father Firstname    THOMASWife Father Surname       EDGARWife Father Occupation    GARDENERWife Mother Firstname    Wife Mother Surname       Wife Witness Firstname    SARAHWife Witness Surname       GONDIEDenomination          Comment          BY LICENCE REV G ALLEY E [SUSANNA = SUSAN].Address1           AGNES ST MethodistAddress2              BELFASTAddress2              SHANKILLAddress4           Antrim
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

James Smyth

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
Hallo Maria,Looks like we are related.After my father's first wife died he remarried my mother Kathleen Farrell.They had six children.Dad had six children to his first wife Matilda.They were George, Willie,David,Albert,Malcolm and Mildred.
Matilda died giving birth to Mildred.Mildred died in England about two years ago.
Malcolm had two children to Theresa his first wife.
So Maria looks like you'r my Niece.
                                         Regards James

YVONNEMCILMAIL

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Hi Uncle Jim,

My name is Yvonne, I'm your brother David's daughter. I remember visiting you & Mary when you lived off the Lisburn Road, that was many moons ago! I've been researching my family history on & off for a number of years now. Maria contacted me last night and told me that she had found your post on here. I've enclosed my Grandad's death details, just want to confirm that it's the same William Smyth, your father.

My email address is: [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon.

Record details 
Name of deceasedWilliam Smyth Last place of residence192 Stockman'S Lane  Age72 SexNK Date of death14 March 1970 Date of burial17 March 1970 CemeteryCity Cemetery - Glenalina Extension Grave section and numberB2 345 Burial typeEarth Burial

maria emerson-smith

moscow street
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Hi Jim
you wrote -
  Hi my father was Robert William Smyth Born 19/4/1898 somewhere off the Shankil Rd.He had 2 brothers John and isaac and 2 sisters Maggi and ?I am trying to find some info on his Parents etc.I think his fathers name was Samuel Smyth. Dont know his mothers name. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you Jim    just to fill in a couple of gaps. he lived at 21 moscow street. the houses dont exist now. i visited the road about 4 years ago. it is a very small road and is now cut off and a memorial for king billy!   roberts sisters - the one who's name you dont know - was susan smyth. i found them on the census of ireland. actually there were a further two children - john smyth and francis edward smyth.    from your niece Maria  :)

maria emerson-smith

millar family belfast
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
boddenn
i wonder if you can help. i keep hitting a brick wall. may grandparents are sarah and john millar. both buried at dundonald cemetary, belfast. i have visited the grave and have their birth and death dates;

john millar 1872-1944
sarah millar (dont know her maiden name) 1880-1956

they had three daughters; irene, maria and mary
and one son - john jr.

i am really stuck on this side of my family tree which is my moms side. ironically - my mom is still alive. ive got so much further back on my dads side - and he passed away.

could you help please-? anything would do - to help get me back a little further. i.e. their marriage details, birth details, even their parents names...? ive been stuck at this stage for a few years now !  :) 

maria emerson-smith

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
boddenn
i wonder if you can help. i keep hitting a brick wall. may grandparents are sarah and john millar. both buried at dundonald cemetary, belfast. i have visited the grave and have their birth and death dates;

john millar 1872-1944
sarah millar (dont know her maiden name) 1880-1956

they had three daughters; irene, maria and mary
and one son - john jr.

i am really stuck on this side of my family tree which is my moms side. ironically - my mom is still alive. ive got so much further back on my dads side - and he passed away.

could you help please-? anything would do - to help get me back a little further. i.e. their marriage details, birth details, even their parents names...? ive been stuck at this stage for a few years now !  :)

dragonannie

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
Hi my father was Robert William Smyth Born 19/4/1898 somewhere off the Shankil Rd.He had 2 brothers John and isaac and 2 sisters Maggi and ?I am trying to find some info on his Parents etc.I think his fathers name was Samuel Smyth. Dont know his mothers name. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you Jim

Hello Jim

Just came across this. My great-grandfather was Samuel Carson Smyth. My grandmother was Mary, your father's half-sister.

James Smyth

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
Hello Dragonannie,

Thanks for your response.I have learned a lot since i first posted on the Forum.
My Grandfather was Samuel Carson Smyth and his wife my Grandmother was Susanna Edgar.They were married on 5 Sep 1891.My Father was Robert William Smyth and his First wife was Matilda White McMurry.She died in Childbirth.

My Father had three brothers Isaac John and Francis and two sisters Susan and Margaret.There is no mention of a half sister called Mary.

So can you give me a bit more information on yourself and your parents etc so we can verify our relationship. Hope to hear from you soon. Jim

dragonannie

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Hi Jim - many years since I did the family tree and came across this forum purely by chance.

Samuel Carson Smyth was married at least 3 times - maybe 4. I have a photo of him.

After his first wife died - I believe there was a daughter from that marriage - he married Eliza Kelly my great-grandmother. They had 2 children, Mary and Samuel (later emigrated to Canada.) When Eliza died he married Susannah Edgar and the rest you know.
My granny remained very close to her half-sisters Susie and Maggie. I have a photo of her and Susie together and one that I think is of Maggie. My uncle (Tommy Duff)often talked about the Smyth boys and certainly saw them from time to time.
My mother (Isa Duff) met my father when he was stationed in Belfast during the war. After the war they settled in Leeds where I was brought up. Look forward to hearing from you - Ann Murphy.

magsgr

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
Hi, I am really interested in this, as my gr grandmother's father was called Samuel Smyth.  Just wondering was she the daughter born to the first wife.  She was born in 1876 and her father (Samuel Smyth) was down as a painter!!  She was born on the Shankill, but I think he lived in York St before that :)

Shankill Sam

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
Hi, I am really interested in this, as my gr grandmother's father was called Samuel Smyth.  Just wondering was she the daughter born to the first wife.  She was born in 1876 and her father (Samuel Smyth) was down as a painter!!  She was born on the Shankill, but I think he lived in York St before that :)
Magsgr, my great granda on my Mothers's side was called Samuel Smith, that's weird or what ?  :)
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

maura

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
There's 4 marriage coming up for a Samuel Smyth/Smith with a father Isaac

1871 Armagh Samuel Smith to a Elizabeth Reilly
1876 Antrim Samuel Smith to a Elizabeth McDowell
1885 Antrim Samuel Carson Smyth to a Ellen Jane McCarther
1891 Antrim Samuel Smyth to a Susanna Edgar

ancestryireland.com

magsgr

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »
Wouldn't that be weird Sam if it was the same Samuel Smyth :)    Don't be working to hard tonight :)

Shankill Sam

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
Wouldn't that be weird Sam if it was the same Samuel Smyth :)    Don't be working to hard tonight :)
not working tonight,week off. work every second week, covered other guy's week so worked 3 weeks in a row at 91 hours each week. My great granda was a Samuel Smith & came from Joseph street shankill area
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

Shankill Sam

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
Hi my father was Robert William Smyth Born 19/4/1898 somewhere off the Shankil Rd.He had 2 brothers John and isaac and 2 sisters Maggi and ?I am trying to find some info on his Parents etc.I think his fathers name was Samuel Smyth. Dont know his mothers name. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you Jim
Jim, sorry for cutting over your thread, mate ! cheers, Sam  :hi: