Author Topic: Money or fire raising  (Read 2502 times)

EllCee

Money or fire raising
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »
I found this item among some of my late father's belongings.  I assume it dates from the very early 1900s.  I wonder if many would be sold today? 

I haven't tried to strike any of the matches, but they look good enough to light.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

Re: Money or fire raising
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 01:00:07 AM »
Les
Dont light the matches, as the box will be with more as it is
You may want to contact Bo-Peep or Swift match company on the origin of this relic

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:06:21 AM »
Les
Dont light the matches, as the box will be with more as it is
You may want to contact Bo-Peep or Swift match company on the origin of this relic

Hiya Mageeka and Les, these matches were probably made by Maguire and Patterson, Belfast Ltd of Donegall Road. Their factory was beside the Celtic Football Club. There's a shopping centre on the opposite side of the road. Go to the roundabout before you go on to the M1. They made a City Hall match too. Other companies who made matches were Bryant & Mays and Swan Vestas. Sorry Les, I'd say sentimental value only looking at the prices shown on the site. Collecting matchbox labels could be an interesting hobby. You could slip a few boxes into your pocket when you go to an "Antiques Roadshow" Certainly it would save straining your back lugging a couple of grandfather clocks up to the valuer's table. You stick to collecting matchboxes Les :D

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:49:26 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris.

I have only one grandfather clock and it isn't an antique.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris.

I have only one grandfather clock and it isn't an antique.

Les, you're an amateur radio fan. Would it be possible to put the word out that I'm looking for a few old Directories of Belfast and the Province of Ulster? If someone has one for the years 1853 to 1869 or 1885 to 1895 I'd like to know. I have more but there's no need to give you a very long list as a guy that deals in books is keeping an eye open for me. 

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:08:53 PM »
"Would it be possible to put the word out"

It would certainly be possible to "put the word out", but it would not achieve anything. 

What do you think I could do?